Sign in with
Your question

GFWL not working on windows 8

Last response: in Windows 8
February 18, 2013 12:21:09 PM

Hi guys,I recently tried to play some GFWL games on windows 8,but after I opened the game GFWL menu doesn't show up,even though I pressed home button.So how can I solve this problem.Help please

More about : gfwl working windows

a b * Windows 8
February 18, 2013 1:57:03 PM

Here's how to fix your issue:

1. Delete all previous installations of Games for Windows Live AND Microsoft Games for Windows Marketplace.
2. Download the installer here. - http://www.xbox.com/en-US/LIVE/PC/DownloadClient
3. Install the client and run it. It may ask you to download an update. Do so and install it.
4. Launch GFWLive.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE\Client.
5. GFWL should work now for you.

If it doesn't work, or you have any issues, repeat step 1 and then before installing, right-click, go to properties, change compatibility to "Windows 7", save and exit. Then right-click the installer and choose "Run as administrator".

Hope this helps!
m
l
February 19, 2013 2:06:20 AM

Yeah it worked after changing compatibility to windows 7 .Thanks
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 19, 2013 2:06:41 AM

Best answer selected by cnawodya.
m
l
March 8, 2013 3:21:02 PM

This helped me, thanks!

Microsoft really needs to get Windows 8 in order. This just shows that you shouldn't bother upgrading for a desktop.
m
l
July 18, 2013 1:04:06 PM

dwhee said:
This helped me, thanks!

Microsoft really needs to get Windows 8 in order. This just shows that you shouldn't bother upgrading for a desktop.

Actually Windows 8 works perfectly on a desktop, what they SHOULD get in order is GFWL(which is the issue here and not W8) which is utter rubbish and thats a shame because there are some really great games that requires it.

Thatnks for the solutions though :) 

m
l
August 7, 2013 11:41:30 AM

jpishgar said:

1. Delete all previous installations of Games for Windows Live AND Microsoft Games for Windows Marketplace.
2. Download the installer here. - http://www.xbox.com/en-US/LIVE/PC/DownloadClient
3. Install the client and run it. It may ask you to download an update. Do so and install it.
4. Launch GFWLive.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE\Client.

If it doesn't work, or you have any issues, repeat step 1 and then before installing, right-click, go to properties, change compatibility to "Windows 7", save and exit. Then right-click the installer and choose "Run as administrator".

Hope this helps!

yeah so.... *sniff* I've tried to several times even CCleaner'd it with registry and everything :-/

Windows 8 supa graphics card everything -.- dunno wtf is going on... but ran as admin, compatibility selected EVERYTHING .... it worked before windows 8 did their lovely "system repair" aka delete all of your programs but dont actually fix the OS lol ...
m
l
September 7, 2013 5:42:43 AM

10476789,0,323958 said:

If it doesn't work, or you have any issues, repeat step 1 and then before installing, right-click, go to properties, change compatibility to Windows 7 [/endquote]

Yeah, it works great, except for the fact the file you're telling us to download is the one that doesn't work. More bluntly, we CAN"T run the client. It fails.
m
l
September 27, 2013 10:34:17 PM

The Song said:
10476789,0,323958 said:

If it doesn't work, or you have any issues, repeat step 1 and then before installing, right-click, go to properties, change compatibility to Windows 7 [/endquote]

Yeah, it works great, except for the fact the file you're telling us to download is the one that doesn't work. More bluntly, we CAN"T run the client. It fails.
said:

m
l
October 19, 2013 10:16:58 AM

cnawodya said:
Hi guys,I recently tried to play some GFWL games on windows 8,but after I opened the game GFWL menu doesn't show up,even though I pressed home button.So how can I solve this problem.Help please

ALTERNATIVE OPTION

If you cant seem to get games for windows live to work no matter what you do and you want to play with people you know all of you then download tungle and make your account and all that good stuff then look for the dark souls prepare to die network located on the left and connect to it. Its the summon signs appear almost instantly. I am not the first one to post this and i don't own any of the programs named.
m
l
December 22, 2013 9:22:27 AM

cnawodya said:

m
l
May 3, 2014 4:46:26 AM

jpishgar said:

Hope this helps!

m
l
May 3, 2014 4:50:11 AM

it din't worked i tried many times, but it showed this "Windows can't find ''C:/program files (x86)/Microsoft games for windows live/ClientGFWLive.exe"make sure you typed word correctly!" what to do?plz help me guys !!!!!!!!???????/
m
l
4 minutes ago

cnawodya said:

i found a way to play games like lost planet 2 on win 8.1 pro (without gfwlive)

read Lyxer Loader's comment of April 11, 2014 at 11:47 AM

http://mediafire-gamer.blogspot.com/2013/12/lost-planet...

download, extract and copy these 2 files in the game
m
l
!