Static ip address issues in a dhcp lan

IRF

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
I cannot acquire an ip address from the router. I am connected via a Netgear FS108 switch that links the router. There are 3 machines, the other 2 can but one is unable to connect. I've resorted to assigning a static ip address but it drops off other users and ultimately requires the router to be reset. I'm thinking the DNS Client in services might be disabled and needs to be switched in 'auto' to clear dns cache. This is because this particular PC was previously used in a VPN and retains its old VPN ip address. Can someone help me out here?

Thanks,

Ian

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Bring up a Command Prom-t and at the prompt, type ipconfig /flushdns then press Enter. Then, manually assign an IP address - I suggest going up into the hundreds to avoid those the DHCP allocates - and it should work.

IRF

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks Saga,

i know setting static ip' works on this machine. Would you know why it can't communicate with the dhcp?

I've tried:

ipconfig /release
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset -log
netsh winsock reset catalog

To reset the stack but it still gives me a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address after rebooting :-(
I'm going to use your above suggestion as my last resort because i know for a fact the LAN has less than 50 users connected.

Ian

Well done - glad you sorted it. The 169.etc addess is a dud indicating all is not well and the only way to make the system forget it is to set a definitive address which reflects the actual gateway. As soon as you did that, it straightened out and flew right.