Gaming on Linux, what are my options?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

I am preparing to migrate from Windows to Linux. Off course I still need
to be able to do the things with Linux that I now do with Windows. Main
issue today: gaming, what are my options?

All of my games are Windows-based with some exceptions that actually
have a native Linux installer. But I still want to be able to play all
my Windows-based games when I have switched to Linux.

There are a few options to solve this "problem". I have read about Wine,
which works good for most Windows applications, but doesn't seem to do
too good with gaming.

There is Cedega, formerly known as WineX, which emulates the API's used
by DirectX. Most games should run good - some even great - on it. At
least that is what the developer says. The thing is I have not found
that many user comments/reviews about it. Another thing is that you'll
have to pay for it. Not that I am too cheap to spent money on a good
solution, but I would like to see what I am buying - a demo or some good
reviews/comments wouldn't hurt.

Than there is the CPU emulator solution (VMWare, Plex86) and run Windows
from it, but this will cost performance (and in case of VMWare; money)
because it's an OS in an OS. And loss of performance is not something we
want when we're gaming, right? :)

Dual-boot is not an option - this will cost a lot of time booting
between OS's and HDD space for installing several OS's. Aside from that
it's too much trouble maintaining two OS's (/me is a lazy bastard :P).

Are there any other Linux gamers in these NG's that would like to share
there experience, comments, opinions on this?

(Cross posted because the topic is genre-overlapping. Please reply to
all groups, maybe other readers are interested too :))

--
Bow before me, for I am root.
79 answers Last reply

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
    On 2005-09-18, Chris de Bruin <news@cdb.demon.nl-nospam> wrote:

    > I am preparing to migrate from Windows to Linux. Off course I still need
    > to be able to do the things with Linux that I now do with Windows. Main
    > issue today: gaming, what are my options?
    >
    > All of my games are Windows-based with some exceptions that actually
    > have a native Linux installer. But I still want to be able to play all
    > my Windows-based games when I have switched to Linux.

    As others have mentioned you're asking for trouble. Just dual
    boot and be glad LILO or GRUB can be setup to boot Win XP off
    another drive.

    > Than there is the CPU emulator solution (VMWare, Plex86) and run Windows
    > from it, but this will cost performance (and in case of VMWare; money)
    > because it's an OS in an OS. And loss of performance is not something we
    > want when we're gaming, right? :)

    CPU emulation is the worest. Even DOS games could run slow if
    your CPU isn't blazingly fast.

    I wouldn't touch Cedega though. It's a joke.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Chris de Bruin <news@cdb.demon.nl-nospam> wrote in news:11iqm8i3c993id0
    @corp.supernews.com:
    > Dual-boot is not an option - this will cost a lot of time booting
    > between OS's and HDD space for installing several OS's. Aside from that
    > it's too much trouble maintaining two OS's (/me is a lazy bastard :P).

    One minute ten seconds to reboot too much time? (just timed my XP to Suse)

    Dual boot is so easy to do, just unformat a windows partition (or shrink
    one to make new unformatted space), boot with a Linux install, tell it to
    use that unformatted space, install, and you're done. No muss no fuss. I
    only have a 10 gig partition for Suse Linux at the moment, way more than
    what I use.

    I don't maintain anything, aside from an XP update occassionally.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk> wrote in

    <snip>

    > So I think you only have two basic choices here:
    >
    > 1. Resign yourself to playing a subset of games in Linux.
    >
    > or
    >
    > 2. Resign yourself to installing and maintaining a dual-boot system
    Or you can do both: play subset of games in Linux, and when (if) some great
    game comes that works only on Windows, boot in Windows.

    > Neither is the end of the world - there are plenty of games for Linux
    > nowadays. A quick glance at my Linux install shows
    >
    > Dominions 2
    > various roguelikes (Angband, Sangband, Oangband, Nethack)
    > Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri & Alien Crossfire
    > StarCraft (almost but not quite running under Wine)
    > DosBox, which runs dozens of older games
    >
    > I'm sure there are loads of more modern games out there which run in
    > Linux - I just don't have them.
    And things are getting better. It seems that there's fewer and fewer good
    games that don't run on Linux. Unfortunately, that's not because more good
    games run on Linux, but because fewer good games seem to come out :(

    But I hope for better, maybe creative indies will embrace Linux (to reduce
    development cost and time if not for anything else) and we will get more
    interesting games.

    Alex.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 14:09:52 +0200, Chris de Bruin wrote:

    > I am preparing to migrate from Windows to Linux. Off course I still need
    > to be able to do the things with Linux that I now do with Windows. Main
    > issue today: gaming, what are my options?
    >
    > All of my games are Windows-based with some exceptions that actually
    > have a native Linux installer. But I still want to be able to play all
    > my Windows-based games when I have switched to Linux.
    >
    > There are a few options to solve this "problem". I have read about Wine,
    > which works good for most Windows applications, but doesn't seem to do
    > too good with gaming.
    >
    > There is Cedega, formerly known as WineX, which emulates the API's used
    > by DirectX. Most games should run good - some even great - on it. At
    > least that is what the developer says. The thing is I have not found
    > that many user comments/reviews about it. Another thing is that you'll
    > have to pay for it. Not that I am too cheap to spent money on a good
    > solution, but I would like to see what I am buying - a demo or some good
    > reviews/comments wouldn't hurt.
    >
    > Than there is the CPU emulator solution (VMWare, Plex86) and run Windows
    > from it, but this will cost performance (and in case of VMWare; money)
    > because it's an OS in an OS. And loss of performance is not something we
    > want when we're gaming, right? :)
    >
    > Dual-boot is not an option - this will cost a lot of time booting
    > between OS's and HDD space for installing several OS's. Aside from that
    > it's too much trouble maintaining two OS's (/me is a lazy bastard :P).
    >
    > Are there any other Linux gamers in these NG's that would like to share
    > there experience, comments, opinions on this?

    You should consider a dual boot. It will cost less time than trying to get
    a game to run in WineX/Cedega and you'll get much better compatibility.
    If you like newer games that use the latest DirectX and if you want to get
    the best out of your video card, you won't do it with WineX/Cedega. If you
    like older games that aren't well known or are less popular, chances are
    there will be problems with WineX/Cedega. These problems can vary from
    horrible sound (static, distortion, stuttering) to cut scenes not playing
    to crashing all the time to the game not even installing in the first
    place. Most 3D games I could not get to play in WineX/Cedega except by
    using software mode. And many newer games don't even offer a software
    mode.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Chris de Bruin wrote:
    > I am preparing to migrate from Windows to Linux. Off course I still
    > need to be able to do the things with Linux that I now do with
    > Windows. Main issue today: gaming, what are my options?

    This ain't no freudian slip - "off course" pretty much sums it up :)

    > All of my games are Windows-based with some exceptions that actually
    > have a native Linux installer. But I still want to be able to play all
    > my Windows-based games when I have switched to Linux.

    Given that a lot of games nowadays have problems running smoothly on
    hardware AND Operating Systems they were intended to run, I'm not even going
    to tell you what your options are.

    Well, ok, I will cause there's only one: dual boot, period, end of story.

    > Dual-boot is not an option - this will cost a lot of time booting
    > between OS's and HDD space for installing several OS's. Aside from
    > that it's too much trouble maintaining two OS's (/me is a lazy
    > bastard :P).

    It may not be an option but what do you do when it's the only one?

    Sorry kiddo, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

    And lazy bastards shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a computer, anyway.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Chris de Bruin <news@cdb.demon.nl-nospam> once tried to test me with:

    > I am preparing to migrate from Windows to Linux.

    Sounds like a bad idea gone badder.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Chris de Bruin wrote:

    > I am preparing to migrate from Windows to Linux. Off course I still need
    > to be able to do the things with Linux that I now do with Windows. Main
    > issue today: gaming, what are my options?
    >
    > All of my games are Windows-based with some exceptions that actually
    > have a native Linux installer. But I still want to be able to play all
    > my Windows-based games when I have switched to Linux.
    >
    > There are a few options to solve this "problem". I have read about Wine,
    > which works good for most Windows applications, but doesn't seem to do
    > too good with gaming.
    >
    > There is Cedega, formerly known as WineX, which emulates the API's used
    > by DirectX. Most games should run good - some even great - on it. At
    > least that is what the developer says. The thing is I have not found
    > that many user comments/reviews about it. Another thing is that you'll
    > have to pay for it. Not that I am too cheap to spent money on a good
    > solution, but I would like to see what I am buying - a demo or some good
    > reviews/comments wouldn't hurt.
    >
    > Than there is the CPU emulator solution (VMWare, Plex86) and run Windows
    > from it, but this will cost performance (and in case of VMWare; money)
    > because it's an OS in an OS. And loss of performance is not something we
    > want when we're gaming, right? :)
    >
    > Dual-boot is not an option - this will cost a lot of time booting
    > between OS's and HDD space for installing several OS's. Aside from that
    > it's too much trouble maintaining two OS's (/me is a lazy bastard :P).

    So how exactly is using VMWare to run Windows inside Linux going to use
    less space than a dual-boot setup? It'll also be at least as much work
    to maintain as a dual-boot system.

    An 80 GB disk will cost you a lot less than a legit copy of VMWare, and
    sticking in your system to boot to when you want to play games will work
    just fine. As another guy pointed out, it only takes a minute or so to
    reboot, which is much better than the performance hit your machine will
    take running Windows inside a virtual machine.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On 2005-09-18, Arjuna <dave@panthergames.com> wrote:
    > Our Highway to the Reich ( HTTR ) WW2 op wargame runs under Linux using
    > Cedega. CHeck out this forum post:
    >
    > http://www.matrixgames.com/default.asp?URL=http%3A//www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp%3Fm%3D939572

    The problem is it may not in the future work with Cedega. At any
    one time there are 3-5 games which work perfectly with any
    release of Cedega.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    alexti wrote:
    > But I hope for better, maybe creative indies will embrace Linux (to
    reduce
    > development cost and time if not for anything else) and we will get more
    > interesting games.

    Well, Loki was one company dedicated to porting good games to Linux.
    Guess what: they are dead now. The market is simply not there - yet.

    Harald

    "Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by incompetence."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 2005-09-18, Harald Lauer <drs.lauer@t-online.de> wrote:
    > alexti wrote:
    > > But I hope for better, maybe creative indies will embrace Linux (to
    > reduce
    >> development cost and time if not for anything else) and we will get more
    >> interesting games.
    >
    > Well, Loki was one company dedicated to porting good games to Linux.
    > Guess what: they are dead now. The market is simply not there - yet.

    Loki's issue is that it ported games some six months after the
    game was released. Sometimes years after. Games rely heavily on
    marketting. Whether you like it or not it's all the previews,
    ads, and banners that get us to buy games.

    Seriously, half of this NG is already going to buy the next Elder
    Scrolls and City of Villians. Heck, they probably preordered it.

    Thusly Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

    >> I am preparing to migrate from Windows to Linux.
    >
    >Sounds like a bad idea gone badder.

    Truth.

    Anyone who plays games and describes himself as a "lazy bastard" don't
    want to run linux. It is not the lazy gamers OS at all.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> writes:

    > And lazy bastards shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a computer, anyway.

    Little late for that, methinks.

    No reason not to migrate to Linux for most applications. Ubuntu has
    great hardware support, and the Synaptic package manager is simple to
    use.

    For gaming, buy a console or two with the money you will save from not
    having to buy the next version of Windows and Microsoft Office.

    PC gaming is still not for the faint-of-heart, and probably never
    really will be.

    Nick

    --
    #include<stdio.h> /* sigmask (sig.c) 20041028 PUBLIC DOMAIN */
    int main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(* /* cc -o sig sig.c */

    shadows wrote:

    >Loki's issue is that it ported games some six months after the
    >game was released. Sometimes years after. Games rely heavily on
    >marketting. Whether you like it or not it's all the previews,
    >ads, and banners that get us to buy games.

    I have never bought a game based on any of that.

    --
    Godwin is a net-nazi
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On 19 Sep 2005 11:50:38 -0400, Nick Vargish
    <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote:

    >PC gaming is still not for the faint-of-heart, and probably never
    >really will be.
    >
    >Nick

    Nor is Linux.
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    > He say "...Dual-boot is not an option - this will cost a lot of time
    > booting
    between OS's and HDD space for installing several OS's. Aside from that
    it's too much trouble maintaining two OS's "
    @@@

    I think Dual-Boot, if you can do it, is certainly your best way...as you
    will know you can run any Windows type game without extra troubles....It
    would have to be Windows XP as Win 98 would take much less HD space but will
    not run most current games...
    The Win XP install could take only (perhaps) 2 Gigs + swapfile HD space and
    you should have a nice easy-use Boot-start menu ..I have Dual Win 98 & Win
    XP which takes no more time to boot into than just one.......maintaining
    should be less problems than an single intergrated OS..
    Emulator's are a no...(even if they work) the machines speed will be (maybe)
    20% of full.

    Luv mouse
    @@@@@
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "Chris de Bruin" <news@cdb.demon.nl-nospam> wrote in message

    > There are a few options to solve this "problem". I have read about Wine,
    > which works good for most Windows applications, but doesn't seem to do too
    > good with gaming.

    You do that buddy, drink a lot of wine, because you'll need it.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-09-19, Quaestor <no-spam@my.place> wrote:
    > shadows wrote:
    >
    >>Loki's issue is that it ported games some six months after the
    >>game was released. Sometimes years after. Games rely heavily on
    >>marketting. Whether you like it or not it's all the previews,
    >>ads, and banners that get us to buy games.
    >>

    > I have never bought a game based on any of that.

    If you bought a game based on reviews here it's still a result of
    the buzz.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Somewhere, over the rainbow... la la la"

    QQalextiQQ videotron.few.useless.chars.ca (alexti) wrote:

    > Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic
    > Subject: Re: Gaming on Linux, what are my options?
    > From: QQalextiQQ videotron.few.useless.chars.ca (alexti)
    > Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:11:30 GMT
    >
    > "magnate" <chrisc dbass.demon.co.uk> wrote in
    > news:1127058952.877176.61070 f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > <snip>
    >>
    >> So I think you only have two basic choices here:
    >>
    >> 1. Resign yourself to playing a subset of games in Linux.
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> 2. Resign yourself to installing and maintaining a dual-boot system
    > Or you can do both: play subset of games in Linux, and when (if) some great
    > game comes that works only on Windows, boot in Windows.
    >
    >> Neither is the end of the world - there are plenty of games for Linux
    >> nowadays. A quick glance at my Linux install shows
    >>
    >> Dominions 2
    >> various roguelikes (Angband, Sangband, Oangband, Nethack)
    >> Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri & Alien Crossfire
    >> StarCraft (almost but not quite running under Wine)
    >> DosBox, which runs dozens of older games
    >>
    >> I'm sure there are loads of more modern games out there which run in
    >> Linux - I just don't have them.
    > And things are getting better. It seems that there's fewer and fewer good
    > games that don't run on Linux. Unfortunately, that's not because more good
    > games run on Linux, but because fewer good games seem to come out :(
    >
    > But I hope for better, maybe creative indies will embrace Linux (to reduce
    > development cost and time if not for anything else) and we will get more
    > interesting games.
    >
    > Alex.

  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> once tried to test me with:

    > On 2005-09-19, Quaestor <no-spam@my.place> wrote:
    >> shadows wrote:
    >>
    >>>Loki's issue is that it ported games some six months after the
    >>>game was released. Sometimes years after. Games rely heavily on
    >>>marketting. Whether you like it or not it's all the previews,
    >>>ads, and banners that get us to buy games.
    >>>

    >> I have never bought a game based on any of that.
    >
    > If you bought a game based on reviews here it's still a result of
    > the buzz.

    But a lot of the "buzz" doesn't actually cost much to generate. Sending out
    review and preview copies to gaming sites - pretty damn cheap. Now, banner
    ads, and especially anything on TV is costly, but I am not sure how much of
    that is completely necessary.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-09-20, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

    > But a lot of the "buzz" doesn't actually cost much to generate. Sending out
    > review and preview copies to gaming sites - pretty damn cheap. Now, banner
    > ads, and especially anything on TV is costly, but I am not sure how much of
    > that is completely necessary.

    The cost isn't the topic of discussion here. When you're eagerly
    awaiting HOMM 3 and Alpha Centauri you're not going to wait an
    additional six months or a year for Loki to port it to
    Linux. You're just going to go out and buy the Windows version
    and be done.

    Loki failed because by the time they released a port the game
    became old and all the gaming websites had ads and reviews up for
    new games. In all likelyhood HOMM 3 wasn't the big topic of
    discussion here by the time Loki released its port; other games
    were being discussed.

    The poster I replied to thinks he's some iron willed warrior who
    is completely unaffected by "marketting." This isn't true as is
    evidenced by his participation in this forum which is, in a large
    part, a by product of games being marketted.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Arjuna wrote:
    > Our Highway to the Reich ( HTTR ) WW2 op wargame runs under Linux using
    > Cedega. CHeck out this forum post:
    >
    > http://www.matrixgames.com/default.asp?URL=http%3A//www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp%3Fm%3D939572

    So? The OP was asking for a general solution, which Cedega doesn't
    offer. If he was asking for a "60% of games sort of work" solution, then
    Cedega would be perfect. The trouble is that you can't be sure that the
    games you'll want to play six months from now will work on Cedega.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Kevin <no@SPAM.here> writes:

    > >PC gaming is still not for the faint-of-heart, and probably never
    > >really will be.

    > Nor is Linux.

    Well, that was kind of my point, since the OP described himself as
    "lazy", it seemed like a console or two would be the best thing for
    him.

    Nick

    --
    #include<stdio.h> /* sigmask (sig.c) 20041028 PUBLIC DOMAIN */
    int main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(* /* cc -o sig sig.c */
    v-1)&&main(0,v+1):main(0,"Ojdl!Wbshjti!=ojdlAwbshjti/psh?\v\1");}
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On 20-9-2005 13:57, Nick Vargish wrote:
    > Kevin <no@SPAM.here> writes:
    >

    >>>PC gaming is still not for the faint-of-heart, and probably never
    >>>really will be.
    >

    >>Nor is Linux.
    >

    > Well, that was kind of my point, since the OP described himself as
    > "lazy", it seemed like a console or two would be the best thing for
    > him.
    >
    > Nick

    The "me being lazy" part was figurative. What I meant is that I
    personally think it's too much trouble to have to boot from one OS to
    another every time I want to use a specific application. It shouldn't be
    necessary.

    Than why not just stick with Windows you say? It's more a thing for the
    future. Technology ages as does software like Windows. I have been
    reading about the new Windows Vista and the abnormal amount of RAM,
    VRAM en CPU it needs to run properly. All because of some nice graphic
    features I probably don't even want to use.

    Linux offers more than this. There are regular distributions released
    and they also run on slower machines. Recap - you don't need to upgrade
    your machine in order to be able to run Linux.

    Off course Windows XP will run fine for a few more years, but at a
    certain point it will be obsolete and there won't be much software
    released and support for the OS. E.g. Windows 2000 was released in 1999
    and ran for about 6 years when MS pulled the support-plug. Windows XP
    was released in 2001 if I follow the Windows 2000 time line, the
    support-plug will be pulled in about 2 years.

    Just looking around what the options are - and Linux happens to be one
    of them.

    - And yes - I also own a Xbox :) -

    --
    Bow before me, for I am root.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    In article <11j0gfoc300phaf@corp.supernews.com>, news@cdb.demon.nl-
    nospam says...

    > Than why not just stick with Windows you say? It's more a thing for the
    > future. Technology ages as does software like Windows. I have been
    > reading about the new Windows Vista and the abnormal amount of RAM,
    > VRAM en CPU it needs to run properly. All because of some nice graphic
    > features I probably don't even want to use.

    What you have to ask yourself, though, is how much that "abnormal"
    hardware requirement is going to cost to upgrade to when Vista actually
    appears next year ... or the year after that ... or the year after that.

    Speaking for myself, I'd much rather shell out the $200 to pick up a
    low-end 2007 mobo and CPU than change operating systems now.

    > Linux offers more than this. There are regular distributions released
    > and they also run on slower machines. Recap - you don't need to upgrade
    > your machine in order to be able to run Linux.

    Sure you do. Toss a copy of some RAM-hungry 2005 disto onto a machine
    that ran Linux great back in 2000, and watch it craaaaaaaaaaawl.

    --
    Giftzwerg
    ***

    >>>Nor is Linux.
    >>

    >> Well, that was kind of my point, since the OP described himself as
    >> "lazy", it seemed like a console or two would be the best thing for
    >> him.
    >>
    >> Nick
    >>
    > The "me being lazy" part was figurative. What I meant is that I
    > personally think it's too much trouble to have to boot from one OS to
    > another every time I want to use a specific application. It shouldn't be
    > necessary.
    Not much you can do about it. Those OSes are too different and many
    applications exist only on one of them :(

    The best you can do (IMHO) is to make dual boot, but make shared filesystem
    (probably FAT32) and put your email, newsgroups, web etc there. This way
    you can do these activities from either boot which will allow you to avoid
    unnecessary reboots. But, of course, if you want to switch between gaming
    and development, tough luck. If you have 2 computers you can do many things
    on Linux box via running terminal on Windows. But if you want to run
    something graphics intensive from Linux box, it's becoming suboptimal...

    Alex.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "ROBERT POLLARD" <RobertAPollard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in

    > No, but seriously, unless you have a real reason to use Linux (and
    > gaming isn't one of them), don't do it!
    <snip>

    > 'Do I actually NEED linux? What will I actually USE it for?'
    That's actually a very good question to ask. Surprising enough many Windows
    shortcoming can be overcome without switching OS. One of the main ones is
    lack of tools and utilities. Installing cygwin will fix large part of this
    one. You will get good shell, decent make system, text batch processing,
    few scripting languages and a lot of other stuff. This will take care of
    most of repetitive work one has to do on Windows. Many traditionally UNIX
    packages have Windows ports as well (the drawback is that you'll have to
    hunt them down and install on your own, but if you're used to Windows there
    is nothing new in that).

    For someone new to Linux, I'd suggest to start this way; it will allow you
    to learn a lot about Linux and its tools without totally diving into it.
    Later, when you decide to switch to real Linux you'll have much easier
    time.

    So why one would want to switch to Linux? I suspect that for average user
    there's no good reason. The most of Linux strong points is related to doing
    something serious, not to the entertainment which is probably the main
    computer use for the average user. Linux will give you a bit better
    stability, but rebooting Windows once a week is not really that big hassle.
    Security-wise advantage is probably not that important for most people. So
    even if they get trojan or virus, it's not that big deal.

    For more creative people, there're more incentives: version control system
    would benefit most, always nice to keep history of your work and much
    easier to collaborate. For those in interested in programming Lunux offers
    a lot of nice tools. Everybody with technical interests is likely to find
    some interesting offering on Linux - because his interests are likely to
    coincide with interests of some of developers :) Finally, it's nicer to be
    a driver than a passenger (even if one doesn't know where he is going) :)

    Alex.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Chris de Bruin <news@cdb.demon.nl-nospam> wrote in news:11iqm8i3c993id0
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > I am preparing to migrate from Windows to Linux. Off course I still need
    > to be able to do the things with Linux that I now do with Windows. Main
    > issue today: gaming, what are my options?

    Some of my favorite games have linux options. Such as Dominions 2

    But generally I prefer linux as a server option rather than a desktop
    option

    Gandalf Parker
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    In article <1127237223.530606.153020@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    "Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Chris de Bruin wrote:
    >> The "me being lazy" part was figurative.
    >
    >Sure it was, you lazy git. I bet you're too lazy to clicky clicky the
    >little icons too. ;P
    >
    >> What I meant is that I
    >> personally think it's too much trouble to have to boot from one OS to
    >> another every time I want to use a specific application. It shouldn't be
    >> necessary.
    >
    >It SHOULDN'T be, but it IS. The compatibility to run Windows software,
    >particularly games, under Linux just isn't there yet
    I thought there was. Run a windows emulator as a job under Unix.
    I thought there was one already.
    <snip>

    /BAH
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    In article <1127316988.795729.148310@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    "knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

    >jmfbahciv@aol.com wrote:
    >> In article <1127237223.530606.153020@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,

    >> >Sure it was, you lazy git. I bet you're too lazy to clicky clicky the
    >> >little icons too. ;P

    >> >It SHOULDN'T be, but it IS. The compatibility to run Windows software,
    >> >particularly games, under Linux just isn't there yet
    >> I thought there was. Run a windows emulator as a job under Unix.
    >> I thought there was one already.
    >
    >They don't work for every game, only a few.

    An emulator makes the Windows program think it's running
    on the real hardware. I don't think you understood
    what I meant.

    /BAH
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 04:39:32 GMT, alexti wrote:

    > So why one would want to switch to Linux? I suspect that for average user
    > there's no good reason.

    There are some reasons that fall in the "ideology" category. Windows is not
    free, not as in "beer" and not as in "speech". New versions always cost
    money, and frequently, you *must* get those if you want to keep using new
    software. I realise that most people either use the OEM version they got
    with a new computer or use a pirated copy, but still. With DRM, "Trusted
    Computing" and other such nonsense on the Windows horizon, there are also
    some solid reasons to switch to Linux, FreeBSD or OSX for those users who
    feel strongly about privacy and "freedom".

    On a practical level, you cannot really choose a GUI of your preference
    under Windows. You have to use what Microsoft gives you.

    M.
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in

    > On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 04:39:32 GMT, alexti wrote:
    >
    >> So why one would want to switch to Linux? I suspect that for average
    >> user there's no good reason.
    >
    > There are some reasons that fall in the "ideology" category. Windows is
    > not free, not as in "beer" and not as in "speech". New versions always
    > cost money, and frequently, you *must* get those if you want to keep
    > using new software. I realise that most people either use the OEM
    > version they got with a new computer or use a pirated copy, but still.
    > With DRM, "Trusted Computing" and other such nonsense on the Windows
    > horizon, there are also some solid reasons to switch to Linux, FreeBSD
    > or OSX for those users who feel strongly about privacy and "freedom".
    >
    > On a practical level, you cannot really choose a GUI of your preference
    > under Windows. You have to use what Microsoft gives you.

    You're right about that. But I am not sure if "average user" is aware of
    those issues. Anyway, who is that "average user"? Everybody probably thinks
    he is the greatest computer expert after Bill Gates :)

    Alex.
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >The first part is total, complete and utter bollocks - unless by
    >"competently-managed" you mean "with Explorer replaced by Firefox". I
    >run a fully updated XP system and still find and remove viruses and
    >trojans on a regular basis

    I wonder why? I've always run Windows XP and IE without an anti-virus
    program (except for the anti-virus scan that's required before logging
    onto corpnet from outside, and a few anti-spyware runs out of
    curiosity). The same on my family PC. Have NEVER ONCE had a virus or
    trojan or spyware. And I do browse to "fun" websites (filez, mp3z,
    ....). All this makes me think that a competently-managed Windows
    machine is possible, and I've got one, and you don't.

    --
    Lucian
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    In article <1127325536.446520.53520@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    "knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

    >jmfbah...@aol.com wrote:
    >> In article <1127316988.795729.148310@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

    >> >They don't work for every game, only a few.
    >>
    >> An emulator makes the Windows program think it's running
    >> on the real hardware. I don't think you understood
    >> what I meant.
    >
    >I do understand what you meant.

    Oh, OK. I had to check. Sorry.

    > .. Can you give a specific emulator that
    >you're talking about?

    No, I can't remember the cybercrud.

    > ...Because every one I've read about for linux
    >doesn't work for every game out there. If you know of one otherwise I'm
    >sure the original poster would be interested in hearing about it.

    If I see the magic incantation, I'll post it here...in c.s.i.p.g.r.
    Note that I, also, am repeated gossip that I've read.

    > .. Even
    >VMWare, which is reputedly the best of the virtual-machine programs
    >(and priced accordingly, it's pretty expensive) won't work for every
    >windows game.

    From what you've written, I'm getting the impression that
    you've read about failures. If so, then you can't give
    a detail about one; or can you? I'd like to know.
    Just at a guestimate, I'd say that the problem lay in
    the memory mismanagement of Windows but that's just
    an educated guess.

    It is certain that people I've seen talk about this
    have not tested every game written for Windows.

    /BAH
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    After reading some stuff on the register (IT news site that is generally
    anti MS) over the last day or two, it turns out that firefox in it's present
    state has some major security issues and IE seems to have been sorted
    out.....

    I have to say I agree with magnate, I have had XP since it has come out and
    the only security software I use is a firewall. Never had any virus's or
    trojans. Some of my friends machines that I had to sort out were in a poor
    way because they either didn't have a running fire wall or they hadn't used
    MS update. Stability on my XP system seems extremely solid. In fact I think
    XP is so good Microsoft might have trouble getting people to upgrade....

    On the linux side I have had numerous crashes, mostly from the desktop (KDE)
    I might add. I think the problem with linux is that you have a very good
    command line OS which has stacked on top of it a bunch of API's and layers
    that don't seem to entirely fit togoether properly and produce a desktop
    system that is greater than the sum of its parts. I can do things on the
    linux command line, that will not be seen in the desktop, because the two
    aren't working effectivelly together. XP is much better at command
    line/desktop integration, not quite as good as OS/2 with its object based
    desktop, but still pretty good never the less.

    Ironically, the main problem with linux for me is not the OS, but the lack
    of good quality productivity software for it. All the distros I tried come
    bundled with 1000's of applications, most of which are way below par in the
    functionality department, and hey, if you don't want to pay for software on
    XP dowload the Eclipse Java IDE for free and a whole host of other free gold
    nuggets that can be found around the internet.

    Linux'ers have most Xp'ers figured wrong. We are fairly neutral people that
    just want to 'use' our computers. Some of us would love to have a different
    vendor for their OS, but don't feel that Linux supplies the necesary
    software. Who knows, now that the Macs are going intel, I wonder if apple
    would ever be tempted to sell their OS to the desktop PC market and give
    microsoft a fright.....

    RobP

    "Lucian Wischik" <lu.nn@wischik.com> wrote in message
    > "magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >>The first part is total, complete and utter bollocks - unless by
    >>"competently-managed" you mean "with Explorer replaced by Firefox". I
    >>run a fully updated XP system and still find and remove viruses and
    >>trojans on a regular basis
    >
    > I wonder why? I've always run Windows XP and IE without an anti-virus
    > program (except for the anti-virus scan that's required before logging
    > onto corpnet from outside, and a few anti-spyware runs out of
    > curiosity). The same on my family PC. Have NEVER ONCE had a virus or
    > trojan or spyware. And I do browse to "fun" websites (filez, mp3z,
    > ...). All this makes me think that a competently-managed Windows
    > machine is possible, and I've got one, and you don't.
    >
    > --
    > Lucian

  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:33:24 GMT, "ROBERT POLLARD"
    <RobertAPollard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >After reading some stuff on the register (IT news site that is generally
    >anti MS) over the last day or two, it turns out that firefox in it's present
    >state has some major security issues

    There is already a patch for the issue.

    > and IE seems to have been sorted
    >out.....

    ROFL.
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    > Giftzwerg wrote:
    >> In short, a properly-updated, competently-managed XP system isn't
    >> vulnerable *at all* - and it's easier for a naive user to update and
    >> manage an XP box. How can you claim a better record for Linux?
    >
    > The first part is total, complete and utter bollocks - unless by
    > "competently-managed" you mean "with Explorer replaced by Firefox". I
    > run a fully updated XP system and still find and remove viruses and
    > trojans on a regular basis (though less often since switching to
    > Firefox). These are *not* caught by the M$ "malicious software removal
    > tool".
    >
    > Even the second point is arguable - Debian-based distros such as Ubuntu
    > are now extremely easy to update and manage, and many other package
    > management systems are nearly as good.
    "nearly as good"? I'd say that Debian's one is by far better than Windows
    update system. Why? Because on Windows only OS and office (and occasionally
    some other MS products) are getting updated. All other applications the
    user has to update on his own. Some of applications may have their own
    auto-update feature, but sooner or later one of them screws up something in
    registry or in system32 with *usual* consequences (unless one backs up
    windows before every update of every application - which is wise, but
    frustratingly time consuming). On Debian pretty much everything gets
    updated when necessary (including things like library dependency
    resolution).

    Alex.
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    > Ironically, the main problem with linux for me is not the OS, but the
    > lack of good quality productivity software for it. All the distros I
    > tried come bundled with 1000's of applications, most of which are way
    > below par in the functionality department, and hey, if you don't want
    > to pay for software on XP dowload the Eclipse Java IDE for free and a
    > whole host of other free gold nuggets that can be found around the
    > internet.
    Have you actually tried to run Eclipse on XP? It's so sluggish.
    Unfortunately, that's not uncommon. One of the reasons is that cost of the
    process on XP is very high in comparison to UNIX. As a result you have to
    compromise between speed and stability. For example, if you need to run
    some external plugin on UNIX you'd fork and run that plugin in forked
    process (with decreased privileges for a good measure), so that if it has
    bugs it won't thrash your program and won't do much damage. On XP you have
    to either start another process (which is slow and non-trivial to bring it
    to the right state) or run plugin within your process, which means that
    problems in plugin are likely to bring problems in your app as well.

    Alex.
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 00:37:48 GMT, Epi Watkins <epicat1212@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I run XP. I rarely get viruses. I don't count attachments that I never
    >open. I have problems with Firefox too. Most 3rd-party browsers will
    >do anything Firefox will. I use Avant which is based on IE. It seems
    >to me that you just like anything that is alternative.

    Maybe one or two will do what Firefox does by default, name one that
    has the hundreds of extensions that Firefox has.
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    In article <v5d7j19fe7nmf9rv4bqcbcu02nqau4t391@4ax.com>,
    spamtrap@localhost. says...
    > On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 00:37:48 GMT, Epi Watkins <epicat1212@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I run XP. I rarely get viruses. I don't count attachments that I never
    > >open. I have problems with Firefox too. Most 3rd-party browsers will
    > >do anything Firefox will. I use Avant which is based on IE. It seems
    > >to me that you just like anything that is alternative.
    >
    > Maybe one or two will do what Firefox does by default, name one that
    > has the hundreds of extensions that Firefox has.

    unless I'm going something wrong, Firefox has a problem saving pics (no,
    not just porn). Instead of saving what's downloaded and displaying, it
    downloads it again. It's also butt ugly. Though maybe you can find a
    decent skin.

    The browser I use does all I would want it to. As long as you can
    search with google with it, I'm fairly satisfied. You can also turn
    java and activex off and on real easy with it. Other things too, but
    I'm too lazy to look.

    Epi

    ----
    When you use insults as a crutch, it's much like
    using cussing in the same manner. It's not a great
    sign of intelligence.
    ----
    Some people can think for themselves. Others read
    books and "parrot" them.
    ----
    When he was growing up, his mother never allowed him
    to admit he was wrong. If he did, he got a horrible
    whipping.
    ----
    http://www.curlesneck.com
  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 09:01:37 GMT, Epi Watkins <epicat1212@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >The browser I use does all I would want it to. As long as you can
    >search with google with it, I'm fairly satisfied. You can also turn
    >java and activex off and on real easy with it. Other things too, but
    >I'm too lazy to look.

    If that is all you use it for then you aren't really qualified to make
    comparisons of different browsers. There are hundreds of extensions,
    several of which are invaluable for me - Adblock in particular, that
    make Firefox the clear leader IMO.
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    In article <o7h7j19dfve1oie2ksi7hgakbp5nd04hju@4ax.com>,
    spamtrap@localhost. says...
    > On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 09:01:37 GMT, Epi Watkins <epicat1212@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >The browser I use does all I would want it to. As long as you can
    > >search with google with it, I'm fairly satisfied. You can also turn
    > >java and activex off and on real easy with it. Other things too, but
    > >I'm too lazy to look.
    >
    > If that is all you use it for then you aren't really qualified to make
    > comparisons of different browsers. There are hundreds of extensions,
    > several of which are invaluable for me - Adblock in particular, that
    > make Firefox the clear leader IMO.

    How about this...Ever do web pages? If it works, it will work in IE.
    Might not in other browsers. This includes Firefox. The only time a
    page won't work for IE is when someone included a script so it won't.
    If you ever do web pages, browsers other than IE can be a pain.

    Epi

    ----
    When you use insults as a crutch, it's much like
    using cussing in the same manner. It's not a great
    sign of intelligence.
    ----
    Some people can think for themselves. Others read
    books and "parrot" them.
    ----
    When he was growing up, his mother never allowed him
    to admit he was wrong. If he did, he got a horrible
    whipping.
    ----
    http://www.curlesneck.com
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Epi Watkins <epicat1212@hotmail.com> writes:

    > If you ever do web pages, browsers other than IE can be a pain.

    I think you have that backwards, Epi.

    Nick

    --
    #include<stdio.h> /* sigmask (sig.c) 20041028 PUBLIC DOMAIN */
    int main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(* /* cc -o sig sig.c */
    v-1)&&main(0,v+1):main(0,"Ojdl!Wbshjti!=ojdlAwbshjti/psh?\v\1");}
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 07:36:13 -0700, wolfing wrote:

    > Try running today's Linux in a Pentium I
    > with 64MB RAM and a 2GB Hard drive.

    Actually you can - as long as you don't use a big resource-intensive GUI
    like KDE3 or Gnome. Linux with a very simple GUI like Icewm or Blackbox
    (or no GUI) will work on an older computer.

    > If you want to play games in your computer, there is no option. Win XP
    > is the only choice.

    Win 2000 still works, since it uses the same video and sound card drivers
    as XP. I don't know of any games that are XP only (yet).
  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    In article <87y85oat97.fsf@localhost.localdomain>,
    nav+posts@bandersnatch.org says...
    > Epi Watkins <epicat1212@hotmail.com> writes:
    >
    > > If you ever do web pages, browsers other than IE can be a pain.
    >
    > I think you have that backwards, Epi.
    >
    > Nick

    How so....Everything works on IE. Not on other browsers. You have to
    install Java separately now, of course.

    Oh! I forgot. The big bad bear makes IE.

    Epi

    ----
    When you use insults as a crutch, it's much like
    using cussing in the same manner. It's not a great
    sign of intelligence.
    ----
    Some people can think for themselves. Others read
    books and "parrot" them.
    ----
    When he was growing up, his mother never allowed him
    to admit he was wrong. If he did, he got a horrible
    whipping.
    ----
    http://www.curlesneck.com
  45. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Epi Watkins <epicat1212@hotmail.com> writes:

    > How so....Everything works on IE. Not on other browsers.

    Try writing a web site using CSS2 before you make such claims.

    > You have to install Java separately now, of course.

    Java's an entirely seperate issue.

    > Oh! I forgot. The big bad bear makes IE.

    BFD. I could care less who makes it, what bothers me is that it
    isn't compliant with published standards.

    Nick

    --
    #include<stdio.h> /* sigmask (sig.c) 20041028 PUBLIC DOMAIN */
    int main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(* /* cc -o sig sig.c */
    v-1)&&main(0,v+1):main(0,"Ojdl!Wbshjti!=ojdlAwbshjti/psh?\v\1");}
  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:
    >If that is all you use it for then you aren't really qualified to make
    >comparisons of different browsers. There are hundreds of extensions,
    >several of which are invaluable for me - Adblock in particular, that
    >make Firefox the clear leader IMO.

    .... or download The Proxomitron, and get cross-browser ad-blocking. (I
    also configured it to enlarge fonts on certain too-small websites.)

    --
    Lucian
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:06:37 +0100, Andrew wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 09:01:37 GMT, Epi Watkins <epicat1212@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The browser I use does all I would want it to. As long as you can
    >>search with google with it, I'm fairly satisfied. You can also turn
    >>java and activex off and on real easy with it. Other things too, but
    >>I'm too lazy to look.
    >
    > If that is all you use it for then you aren't really qualified to make
    > comparisons of different browsers. There are hundreds of extensions,
    > several of which are invaluable for me - Adblock in particular, that
    > make Firefox the clear leader IMO.

    Adblock is a great tool, but it's not the first ad blocking software.

    Now if only it would integrate a cookie blocker into it as well!
  48. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    >>>The browser I use does all I would want it to. As long as you can
    >>>search with google with it, I'm fairly satisfied. You can also turn
    >>>java and activex off and on real easy with it. Other things too, but
    >>>I'm too lazy to look.
    >>
    >> If that is all you use it for then you aren't really qualified to make
    >> comparisons of different browsers. There are hundreds of extensions,
    >> several of which are invaluable for me - Adblock in particular, that
    >> make Firefox the clear leader IMO.
    >
    > Adblock is a great tool, but it's not the first ad blocking software.
    >
    > Now if only it would integrate a cookie blocker into it as well!

    What are you talking about? Firefox already has the option to
    block/allow cookies, or to only accept cookies from the site you're on,
    or to exclude cookies on a per-site basis, and even to clear the cookies
    when you exit Firefox. And, unusually, it's all in the options screen,
    so you don't even have to look at about:config.

    HTH.

    CK
  49. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 01:35:45 GMT the fame writer, CK wrote not much to
    be useful on, "Re: Firefox extensions",

    >What are you talking about?

    He spam this all over!

    Please don't feed the Trolls.
    --
    DISCLAIMER
    If you find a posting or message from myself

PC gaming Games IBM Linux Video Games