Can't install FEAR SP demo, help needed.

Anyone else run into this problem?

About a week ago, I accidentally started the demo install, but I didn't
want to mess with it at the time so I cancelled it. I may have even
forced it to quit with Control Alt Delete (I know, my bad). Anyway,
now that I DO want to install it, the installer dies on me with some
error message about finishing up any other installs or closing other
apps. Well, I disabled Norton AV, still no joy. Is there any way to
"wipe the slate clean" as far as InstallShield goes? Do I need to
install in Safe Mode, will that work?

I've tried using WinDoctor to see if my Windows install has been
screwed up, and no go there.

Some info:
A7N8X Deluxe mobo
AMD Barton XP 2500+ processor
1 Gig RAM
6600 GT card from WinFast
Audigy 1 Soundcard
Win XP SP2, recent video drivers, DX9c
Installing to an internal hard drive attached to an add-on card. It's
the D drive, which is the boot drive (my C is my optional Win98SE
boot).

Anyway, thanks if you can help.

"Papageno" <papageno@gmail.com> once tried to test me with:

> Anyway, thanks if you can help.

You're not missing anything. It's lame.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Sorry Knight sometimes we must disagree. I didn't see any great classic but
I enjoyed the demo quite a bit and it felt to me what little I could tell
The AI was damn good on the upper levels. Many of the previews it has been
getting in fact most all of them are very encouraging and PCGAMER just gave
it their cover story as a review( I think they got some kind of copy off of
Warez or something since it's not out yet). As I think you know I just go
a new super duper machine and more than any game I think so far it puts the
machine through its paces so I am biased that way too.
Anyway I really won't know till I play the entire game. You
probably already have five or six copies being the big wig in the industry
you are now! What didn't you like about it , I am curious?

"Papageno" <papageno@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Anyone else run into this problem?
>
> About a week ago, I accidentally started the demo install, but I didn't
> want to mess with it at the time so I cancelled it. I may have even
> forced it to quit with Control Alt Delete (I know, my bad). Anyway,
> now that I DO want to install it, the installer dies on me with some
> error message about finishing up any other installs or closing other
> apps. Well, I disabled Norton AV, still no joy. Is there any way to
> "wipe the slate clean" as far as InstallShield goes? Do I need to
> install in Safe Mode, will that work?
>
> I've tried using WinDoctor to see if my Windows install has been
> screwed up, and no go there.

I think there was a problem with corrupt installers at some point. Perhaps
it's wroth re-downloading from a different source?

"bunboy" <bunboy@cox.net> once tried to test me with:

> Sorry Knight sometimes we must disagree. I didn't see any great
> classic but I enjoyed the demo quite a bit and it felt to me what
> little I could tell The AI was damn good on the upper levels. Many
> of the previews it has been getting in fact most all of them are very
> encouraging and PCGAMER just gave it their cover story as a review( I
> think they got some kind of copy off of Warez or something since it's
> not out yet).

A lot of sites/mags get press preview copies of games before the game
ships. Not warez.

I think the only reason the press is all over this game is because
literally there is NOTHING else to cover.

> As I think you know I just go a new super duper
> machine and more than any game I think so far it puts the machine
> through its paces so I am biased that way too.
> Anyway I really won't know till I play the entire game. You
> probably already have five or six copies being the big wig in the
> industry you are now! What didn't you like about it , I am curious?

It just didn't have anything exciting to me. Not that it was bad, it just
wasn't anything special. I can't believe people are creaming their shorts
over this after almost universal disdain for Area 51. To me they are both
pretty stock standard FPS titles, I fail to see what FEAR offers other than
graphics over any other shooter. FWIW, this is based on the demo, I don't
have a press copy.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.