Xbox 360 games are $60!?!

Maybe I've been under a rock, but I was just browsing EB Games and
noticed all the good Xbox 360 games are going to be $60.

Now, I'm a PC gamer, but I must admit I've been tempted by the idea of
getting an Xbox 360 given its horsepower and higher resolution... but
$60 games?!? Last I checked, most PC games can still be had for $50,
and many are $40.

Truth be told, I really can't think of very many games lately that have
been worth anything near $60! That's some major cash for only 8-10
hours of potentially predictable, ho-hum gaming.

Let's hope this new price-point doesn't catch on with PC games.
17 answers Last reply
More about xbox games

    On 18 Sep 2005 23:47:56 -0700, arcanastream@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Maybe I've been under a rock, but I was just browsing EB Games and
    >noticed all the good Xbox 360 games are going to be $60.
    >
    >Now, I'm a PC gamer, but I must admit I've been tempted by the idea of
    >getting an Xbox 360 given its horsepower and higher resolution... but
    >$60 games?!? Last I checked, most PC games can still be had for $50,
    >and many are $40.
    >
    >Truth be told, I really can't think of very many games lately that have
    >been worth anything near $60! That's some major cash for only 8-10
    >hours of potentially predictable, ho-hum gaming.
    >
    >Let's hope this new price-point doesn't catch on with PC games.

    It won't, except for the hottest titles. Remember the console dweebs
    are captive cannon-fodder and the only way the console-makers ever
    make money is on the software margins from their own studios and
    third-party license fees from independent developers. Also, popular
    used console titles normally sell for $5 below the brand-new price.

    John Lewis

    I know you can rent Xbox and PS2 titles why not Xbox 360 titles?

    --
    there is no .sig
    <arcanastream@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Maybe I've been under a rock, but I was just browsing EB Games and
    > noticed all the good Xbox 360 games are going to be $60.
    >
    > Now, I'm a PC gamer, but I must admit I've been tempted by the idea of
    > getting an Xbox 360 given its horsepower and higher resolution... but
    > $60 games?!? Last I checked, most PC games can still be had for $50,
    > and many are $40.
    >
    > Truth be told, I really can't think of very many games lately that have
    > been worth anything near $60! That's some major cash for only 8-10
    > hours of potentially predictable, ho-hum gaming.
    >
    > Let's hope this new price-point doesn't catch on with PC games.

    >I know you can rent Xbox and PS2 titles why not Xbox 360 titles?

    Exactly. Check out GameFly. Works like Netflix.

    Thusly arcanastream@yahoo.com Spake Unto All:

    >Maybe I've been under a rock, but I was just browsing EB Games and
    >noticed all the good Xbox 360 games are going to be $60.

    Yeah, they're _console_ games. Those have always cost more than PC
    games.

    I was disapointed with the price as well. I usually wait a couple months
    and buy games used. One thing is for sure though, when Halo3 comes out, I
    will pay for it brand new without a second thought!!

    JMoney

    <arcanastream@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Maybe I've been under a rock, but I was just browsing EB Games and
    > noticed all the good Xbox 360 games are going to be $60.
    >
    > Now, I'm a PC gamer, but I must admit I've been tempted by the idea of
    > getting an Xbox 360 given its horsepower and higher resolution... but
    > $60 games?!? Last I checked, most PC games can still be had for $50,
    > and many are $40.
    >
    > Truth be told, I really can't think of very many games lately that have
    > been worth anything near $60! That's some major cash for only 8-10
    > hours of potentially predictable, ho-hum gaming.
    >
    > Let's hope this new price-point doesn't catch on with PC games.

    > I never pay more than about $35-40 for games, and usually not that
    > much. Most games I get for around $10-15. I just wait for them to go on
    > sale or buy used.
    >
    > I did buy World of Warcraft new for full price and it was well worth
    > it.
    > Hmm.... um.... Half Life 2. That's pretty much it in the last year.
    >
    > Knight37

    Got to agree, the majority of the games I have are not full price only
    the must haves - maybe 3-4 a year - and then a number of cheap and
    cheerfuls. Still waiting for Max Payne II at a good price.

    I have heard that many of the reasons consoles are so cheap given the
    horsepower they put out is the are sold for cost or even under cost because
    the profit margin is so high on the software. After they sell it too they
    have no tech support or patching problems or expenses although maybe they
    will start with all this internet connecting.
    By the way anybody know if old x box games can be played on the Xbox
    360?

    "JAB" <nochance@nohope.com> wrote in message
    >> I never pay more than about $35-40 for games, and usually not that
    >> much. Most games I get for around $10-15. I just wait for them to go on
    >> sale or buy used.
    >>
    >> I did buy World of Warcraft new for full price and it was well worth
    >> it.
    >> Hmm.... um.... Half Life 2. That's pretty much it in the last year.
    >>
    >> Knight37
    >>

    > Got to agree, the majority of the games I have are not full price only the
    > must haves - maybe 3-4 a year - and then a number of cheap and cheerfuls.
    > Still waiting for Max Payne II at a good price.

    arcanastream@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Maybe I've been under a rock, but I was just browsing EB Games and
    > noticed all the good Xbox 360 games are going to be $60.

    Yes, that is true, but it won't be exclusive to Xbox 360 games. PS3 games
    will be $60, too. The "industry" decided that games have risen in price in
    10 years and because more and more money is being spent to make games,
    anywhere from $5 to $25 million, they need to charge more. I don't know if
    Nintendo will charge $60 for their games.

    > Now, I'm a PC gamer, but I must admit I've been tempted by the idea of
    > getting an Xbox 360 given its horsepower and higher resolution... but
    > $60 games?!? Last I checked, most PC games can still be had for $50,
    > and many are $40.

    That is true also, but that is because developers don't need to play
    licensing fees like they do for consoles. Plus don't be surprised if PC
    games jump in price, too. More and more high profile PC games are selling
    for $55 at release. Quake 2 retailed for $60 when it was first released.

    > Truth be told, I really can't think of very many games lately that
    > have been worth anything near $60! That's some major cash for only
    > 8-10 hours of potentially predictable, ho-hum gaming.

    Yes, but at least you can rent console games. I use gamefly.com and pay a
    low monthly fee. The other thing is all games drop in price about 40-50% in
    six months. A lot of times I just wait.

    > Let's hope this new price-point doesn't catch on with PC games.

    It is almost there.

    > Let's hope this new price-point doesn't catch on with PC games.

    I live in an area where all my games cost 60? (which is more than 60$).
    It's called Europe. So don't you guys complain ! :D

    --
    -Mickmils

    Journalisme total
    http://mickmils2.free.fr

    arcanastream@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Maybe I've been under a rock, but I was just browsing EB Games and
    > noticed all the good Xbox 360 games are going to be $60.

    These are the titles that are PC games that will be out for the PC
    first, then will be ported over:

    Quake 4 $49.99
    Elder Scrolls Oblivion $49.99
    Call of Duty 2 $49.99
    Ghost Recon 3 $49.99

    Not only are they cheaper on the PC, the port will have a maximum
    resolution of 720p, equivalent to 1280 by 720 on the PC, plus their
    frame rates are locked to 30fps. So, it will be more money for
    decreased capability.

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:22:43 -0700, "bunboy" <bunboy@cox.net> wrote:

    >I have heard that many of the reasons consoles are so cheap given the
    >horsepower they put out is the are sold for cost or even under cost because
    >the profit margin is so high on the software. After they sell it too they
    >have no tech support or patching problems or expenses although maybe they
    >will start with all this internet connecting.
    > By the way anybody know if old x box games can be played on the Xbox
    >360?

    Ask M$$. The Xbox360 is not backward compatible for ANY Xbox game
    without a PATCH for each Xbox game loaded to the Xbox360 hard disk.
    ( A Xbox360 without a hard-disk will not run any Xbox games ) M$$ did
    a last-minute about-face on the subject of backward-compatibility
    about 4 months ago and licensed the emulation rights from nVidia
    ( Must have been some very big smiles in the nVidia board-room --
    finally rid of M$$ as a cheese-pairing customer, plus a nice fat
    license-contract ). M$$ uses the politically evasive title of
    "emulation profile" for these patches.

    Lots of words from M$$ 'representatives' at various shows, but no
    hard-copy M$$-published list yet of which games will be patched -
    don't expect any non-mainstream Xbox titles ever to be patched. The
    new programming and testing work is significant and the development
    team for older games is unlikely to be around any more. Also, no
    mention of the size of each "emulation profile". The "emulation
    profile" is expected to be a completely re-compiled game executable
    plus new libraries, so expect each one to be large, maybe in the
    hundreds of megabytes range.

    BTW, take note of M$$$ customer-centric attitude of opening the
    Xbox360 order-queue without any formally-written list of Xbox games
    destined for "emulation profiles". Kinda like buying a pig-in-a-poke
    for anybody with a current Xbox and a large collection of games.

    BTW, Sony and Nintendo have both stated 100% backward compatibility
    for their new consoles. Considering the current Xbox 360 mess ( and
    probably a bunch of angry retailers over the customer-confusion
    the compatibility issue causes in the Christmas game-buying market ).
    I would think that 100% backward-compatibility of the PS3 if achieved
    without any messy user-loaded patches will drive a dagger through
    sales of the Xbox360 (at least in Japan and Europe) to any current PS2
    owners.

    John Lewis

    - Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

    John Lewis wrote:

    > It will be very interesting indeed to see how Sony approaches the
    > issue of backward compatibility -- they do have time to incorporate
    > custom code and/or hardware to assist in the emulation. Let's see
    > if they really can do any better....

    People keep forgetting that Sony is a hardware company and that
    Micro$haft is a software company. The Playstation 2 had Playstation 1
    backward compatibility because Sony kept re-engineering the PS1 until
    it was a small integrated circuit that just became part of the Emotion
    Engine SOC layout. It provided other functions but operates as a
    stand-alone PS1, so no emulation is required. Despite Nit37 sour
    grapes, the PS1 backward compatibility is virtually 100%. There are a
    small handful of obscure 3rd party titles that aren't because the
    developers did not follow the standardized development guidelines. Sony
    had no part in this. The PS2 Emotion Engine has been re-engineered to
    the point that it is now a small chip that costs about $5. Sony could
    easily stick this into the Playstation 3 for total backward
    compatibility but they have decided the Cell has more than enough power
    to do this. They must know since putting in a $5 PS2 inside the Cell
    would be the cheap and easy way to do this, so the Cell backward
    compatibility must be cheaper and better somehow. It is kind of funny
    now. Back before the PS2 launch, the 'net was flooded by pundits saying
    it would not be possible to make the Emotion Engine affordable enough
    for a console, estimating it to be in the thousands of dollars since
    that was what MIPS processors were costing at the time. And now, it is
    worth about $5. Pundits, what would the world do without them?

    john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) once tried to test me with:

    > On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:22:43 -0700, "bunboy" <bunboy@cox.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I have heard that many of the reasons consoles are so cheap given the
    >>horsepower they put out is the are sold for cost or even under cost
    >>because the profit margin is so high on the software. After they
    >>sell it too they have no tech support or patching problems or expenses
    >>although maybe they will start with all this internet connecting.
    >> By the way anybody know if old x box games can be played on the
    >> Xbox
    >>360?
    >>

    > Ask M$$. The Xbox360 is not backward compatible for ANY Xbox game
    > without a PATCH for each Xbox game loaded to the Xbox360 hard disk.
    > ( A Xbox360 without a hard-disk will not run any Xbox games ) M$$ did
    > a last-minute about-face on the subject of backward-compatibility
    > about 4 months ago and licensed the emulation rights from nVidia
    > ( Must have been some very big smiles in the nVidia board-room --
    > finally rid of M$$ as a cheese-pairing customer, plus a nice fat
    > license-contract ). M$$ uses the politically evasive title of
    > "emulation profile" for these patches.
    >
    > Lots of words from M$$ 'representatives' at various shows, but no
    > hard-copy M$$-published list yet of which games will be patched -
    > don't expect any non-mainstream Xbox titles ever to be patched. The
    > new programming and testing work is significant and the development
    > team for older games is unlikely to be around any more. Also, no
    > mention of the size of each "emulation profile". The "emulation
    > profile" is expected to be a completely re-compiled game executable
    > plus new libraries, so expect each one to be large, maybe in the
    > hundreds of megabytes range.

    Cite source? Everything I've heard about the emulation is that it will be
    an emulation software, not recompiles of the games.

    > BTW, take note of M$$$ customer-centric attitude of opening the
    > Xbox360 order-queue without any formally-written list of Xbox games
    > destined for "emulation profiles". Kinda like buying a pig-in-a-poke
    > for anybody with a current Xbox and a large collection of games.

    If you have a current Xbox, you don't really need to worry about backwards
    compatibility now do you? Just play it on your Xbox.

    > BTW, Sony and Nintendo have both stated 100% backward compatibility
    > for their new consoles. Considering the current Xbox 360 mess ( and
    > probably a bunch of angry retailers over the customer-confusion
    > the compatibility issue causes in the Christmas game-buying market ).
    > I would think that 100% backward-compatibility of the PS3 if achieved
    > without any messy user-loaded patches will drive a dagger through
    > sales of the Xbox360 (at least in Japan and Europe) to any current PS2
    > owners.

    Sony and Nintendo have said a LOT of things but so far neither one has
    actual hardware to play on yet so we'll just have to wait and see. They
    claimed 100% compat on the PS2 for PS1 games but that too was a lie, like
    many other things Sony said.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

    On 20 Sep 2005 02:47:39 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

    >john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) once tried to test me with:
    >
    >> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:22:43 -0700, "bunboy" <bunboy@cox.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have heard that many of the reasons consoles are so cheap given the
    >>>horsepower they put out is the are sold for cost or even under cost
    >>>because the profit margin is so high on the software. After they
    >>>sell it too they have no tech support or patching problems or expenses
    >>>although maybe they will start with all this internet connecting.
    >>> By the way anybody know if old x box games can be played on the
    >>> Xbox
    >>>360?
    >>>

    >> Ask M$$. The Xbox360 is not backward compatible for ANY Xbox game
    >> without a PATCH for each Xbox game loaded to the Xbox360 hard disk.
    >> ( A Xbox360 without a hard-disk will not run any Xbox games ) M$$ did
    >> a last-minute about-face on the subject of backward-compatibility
    >> about 4 months ago and licensed the emulation rights from nVidia
    >> ( Must have been some very big smiles in the nVidia board-room --
    >> finally rid of M$$ as a cheese-pairing customer, plus a nice fat
    >> license-contract ). M$$ uses the politically evasive title of
    >> "emulation profile" for these patches.
    >>
    >> Lots of words from M$$ 'representatives' at various shows, but no
    >> hard-copy M$$-published list yet of which games will be patched -
    >> don't expect any non-mainstream Xbox titles ever to be patched. The
    >> new programming and testing work is significant and the development
    >> team for older games is unlikely to be around any more. Also, no
    >> mention of the size of each "emulation profile". The "emulation
    >> profile" is expected to be a completely re-compiled game executable
    >> plus new libraries, so expect each one to be large, maybe in the
    >> hundreds of megabytes range.
    >
    >Cite source? Everything I've heard about the emulation is that it will be
    >an emulation software, not recompiles of the games.

    See:-

    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=dev&aid=8996

    Without recompile an Xbox game will run on only one of the processor
    cores and be as slow as sludge. Each core is capable of only in-order
    execution, like the Pentium1 and unlike the P3 processor in the Xbox,
    so such an emulator has to be very tricky indeed besides having to
    emulate the nVidia GPU and sound in the ATi/PPC hardware. If the
    Xbox game has used some hardware tricks outside standard libraries,
    as many of the 3D action games have done --- to squeeze
    as much graphics performance out of the Xbox as possible -- then
    there is no other alternate but to recompile (and debug and test) the
    game code for the Xbox360. And, of course, if the original development

    team was long gone, such an activity would be financially pointless.
    Hence, expect the backward compatibility of the Xbox360 to be very
    spotty indeed.

    It will be very interesting indeed to see how Sony approaches the
    issue of backward compatibility -- they do have time to incorporate
    custom code and/or hardware to assist in the emulation. Let's see
    if they really can do any better....

    M$$ decided to support some form of backward compatibility under
    pressure from software developers and retailers but far too late and
    after the Xbox360 hardware design was complete. Maybe future versions
    of the Xbox360 will include HD Blu-ray and backward-compatibility
    hardware :-) :-)

    For some more technical info on the Xbox360 Xenon processor,
    Google it or see:-

    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/xbox360-2.ars

    and

    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2453

    Nice to know that when I decide to upgrade my PC there will
    only be trivial backward-compatibility problems with my rather large
    collection of PC games. Instead of all this console nonsense
    with garages stacked full of old consoles and very expensive
    (when first purchased) software now incompatible with new
    hardware.

    John Lewis
    - Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

    On 20 Sep 2005 02:47:39 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

    >If you have a current Xbox, you don't really need to worry about backwards
    >compatibility now do you? Just play it on your Xbox.

    - Most people prefer to have less boxes on their house. Frankly, I
    don't know how I should I connect my recently-purchased XBox to my TV,
    as all the major video input slots are already taken. Maybe I have to
    buy a switch box or something, but still I'd rather not have several
    boxes near my TV.

    (I didn't buy XBox for games, but for an affordable multimedia player
    and a Linux box. I don't really expect to play any games on it...
    well, maybe try Halo 2 on it if I find it very cheap.)

    - Old consoles break down. My older Playstation broke down twice, and
    it was nice to be able to replace it with my PS2 completely.

    - How about the people who don't own a XBox yet? Wouldn't it be nice
    to have a large(ish) library of XBox games to choose from when waiting
    for any useful XBox360 games?

    >Sony and Nintendo have said a LOT of things but so far neither one has
    >actual hardware to play on yet so we'll just have to wait and see. They
    >claimed 100% compat on the PS2 for PS1 games but that too was a lie, like
    >many other things Sony said.

    The percentage of non-compatible PS1 games must have been very low. I
    remember hearing about one such game, were there many? Anyway, all my
    old PSOne games work perfectly on PS2.

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:15:11 +0200, "Mils Michael"
    <mickmils@tiscali.fr> wrote:

    >> Let's hope this new price-point doesn't catch on with PC games.
    >
    >I live in an area where all my games cost 60? (which is more than 60$).
    >It's called Europe. So don't you guys complain ! :D

    Where I live PC games generally cost $15-20 less than XBox or Gamecube
    games. PS2 games are generally little less than other console games.

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:19:05 -0600, "Hank the Rapper"
    <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

    >Yes, but at least you can rent console games.

    I hardly ever play "rentable" games. Games that I would rent would be
    shallow games that I get tired of in one weekend. I prefer games that
    I will play even for weeks, in some times months or years (esp. online
    games).

    >> Let's hope this new price-point doesn't catch on with PC games.
    >
    >It is almost there.

    If PC games cost the same as console games, IMO they are overcharging,
    because there are no console license fees for PC games. But at least
    here console games have always cost substantially more than similar PC
    games.

PC gaming Xbox 360 Games Video Games