razvan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi everybody

From quite a long time this site is using for testing & comparison only the IBM model 60GXP; this is quite an old model and it should not be present in the last article - at least not without his big brother 120GXP.
Tell me if I am wrong.

Another observation: I am quite an old reader of this site. I am checking it on a daily basis. I must say that the quality of the articles in the last year (this is only an approximation) is going down. Many times I have check the graphs and then read the conclusion and I have found that they didn't match. I think that Tom was much more carefull with details that the present editors. Tom, if you are NOT so busy please come back and write some articles.

And one last technicall question, for you teach-savy: THG said that this drive has 60Gb/plat. Even so there is a 80Gb model. How is this possible?

Regards,
Razvan

Razvan

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmmm.
well IBM has actually sold its hard drive division off to fujitsu.
apparently with the 75gxp and 60gxp problems they were in real trouble, and were making a big loss.

so no more ibm drives.

as for the 120gxp, im pretty sure it used only 40gb platters, not 60.
so the 40gb = 1 platter, 80gb = 2 120 = 3
it is quite possible though to use only one side of a platter with one head instead of 2, thats how they get the half capacities.

this also makes sense with manufacturing and economics. should a drive be produced where 1 side of one platter has flaws, it can still be sold by disabling the faulty side and sold as a smaller capacity drive.

<b><font color=blue>I prefer to blend into the background, because it's much easier to sneak up on people and disembowel them that way. Arr!</b></font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well least they included the current king of the hill, the 1200JB

<b><font color=blue>I prefer to blend into the background, because it's much easier to sneak up on people and disembowel them that way. Arr!</b></font color=blue>