V710 Available without crippled Verizon version

Last response: in Brands
September 6, 2004 5:19:27 PM

I have been wanting a v710 and see that Verizon has crippled most of the
best bluetooth features. Especially some that I would like to use with my
T-3.

I am actually not in a Verizon area anyways.

Is it possible to simply buy the v710 and get service through another CDMA
provider like Alltell?

I looked on Ebay for a v710 and all of them say Verizon. There has to be a
non-Verizon version out there somewhere.

Thanks,

Kirk
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 6:11:38 AM

There were during the months before the Verizon introduction. Some were from
Aston Martin (or was it Rolls Royce)? One of these car companies gave a free
gold plated V710 with new cars. The phones came in a polished wood box with
a certificate of authenticity (snob appeal -- get it?!). A few were
available from individuals who were involved in early field tests. They went
for more than $600 each. Some even higher.

But now that the phone is available for $149 with a 2 year contract, there
is no much of a market for the non-branded phones ($249 after rebate if you
haven't already had a Verizon phone for more than 2 years).

_____________

"kirk_" <kirk@1st.net> wrote in message
>I have been wanting a v710 and see that Verizon has crippled most of the
> best bluetooth features. Especially some that I would like to use with my
> T-3.
>
> I am actually not in a Verizon area anyways.
>
> Is it possible to simply buy the v710 and get service through another CDMA
> provider like Alltell?
>
> I looked on Ebay for a v710 and all of them say Verizon. There has to be
> non-Verizon version out there somewhere.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kirk

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 10:11:23 PM

But that version is crippled as you post below points out.

Wonder if anybody else is going to be picking up this phone that won't
cripple it?

There is a tech guy out there somewhere that probably could hack the phone
and turn on all the goodies. Wonder how someone would go about finding that
guy?

I hate to go to a GSM phone to get the features that I want, but that may be
the choice that I have to make.

Kirk

"Ellery Davies" <See-Reply-Addr@Nospam.com> wrote in message
> There were during the months before the Verizon introduction. Some were
from
> Aston Martin (or was it Rolls Royce)? One of these car companies gave a
free
> gold plated V710 with new cars. The phones came in a polished wood box
with
> a certificate of authenticity (snob appeal -- get it?!). A few were
> available from individuals who were involved in early field tests. They
went
> for more than $600 each. Some even higher.
>
> But now that the phone is available for $149 with a 2 year contract, there
> is no much of a market for the non-branded phones ($249 after rebate if
you
> haven't already had a Verizon phone for more than 2 years).

Anonymous
September 9, 2004 2:05:08 AM

I don't know, but there's a $1200 reward waiting for him if he gets here by January.

!