Reward for Hacking v710's Bluetooth

http://www.nuclearelephant.com/papers/v710hackers.html

The first v710 Hacker's pot will be rewarded to the first individual
to provide working instructions to successfully enable OBEX and OPP
functionality on the Verizon v710 by January 3, 2005. The winner will
also have the option of remaining anonymous (so those of you with
special codes - speak up). The focus of this reward is presently on
the current (and only) version of firmware available for the v710:
8700_01.30.8F. If the pot goes unclaimed, any contributions will be
refunded**. The following is required to claim the prize:

* 1. All instructions must be complete. If software is required to
enable these features, it must be provided.
* 2. Full functionality must be enabled. Users must be able to
demonsrate proper functionality (such as transferring pictures, music
and phonebook entries via Bluetooth).
* 3. The profiles must be discoverable. The OBEX and OPP profiles
must be discoverable by another Bluetooth-enabled device
* 4. The modifications must not require any unreasonable sacrifice
of significant functionality to the phone, such as flashing the
handset with firmware from another model phone which would cause many
features to malfunction.
* 5. The modifications must be at least semi-permanent. The user
must not have to perform any lengthy tasks every time they wish to
exchange files.

The reward pot is presently over $1,000.
2 answers Last reply
More about reward hacking v710 bluetooth

    >Jonathan A. Zdziarski wrote:
    > The first v710 Hacker's pot will be rewarded to the first individual
    > to provide working instructions to successfully enable OBEX and OPP
    > functionality on the Verizon v710 by . . .

    >From Verizon's website (12/27/2004)
    **********************************
    The Motorola V710 is a phone and a whole lot more. Featuring an
    integrated 1.2 megapixel camera, video capture, playback and messaging
    to any email address, and Mobile Web 2.0, it's a phone that is designed
    for the way you live. And with Bluetooth® wireless technology, you can
    make hands-free, eyes-free calls, and connect to your PC or PDA
    whenever and wherever you want.
    **********************************
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=1570

    FALSE ADVERTISEMENT! "connect to your PC or PDA whenever" Do I smell
    another class action lawsuit because Verizon didn't learn from the
    first one. (Claiming bigger and better coverage than actually
    available!!)

    In article <1104196299.216220.86680@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    Fireballff@gmail.com wrote:

    > And with Bluetooth® wireless technology, you can
    > make hands-free, eyes-free calls, and connect to your PC or PDA
    > whenever and wherever you want.
    > **********************************
    > http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=vie
    > wPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=1570
    >
    > FALSE ADVERTISEMENT! "connect to your PC or PDA whenever" Do I smell
    > another class action lawsuit because Verizon didn't learn from the
    > first one. (Claiming bigger and better coverage than actually
    > available!!)

    But you can connect with them via bluetooth; that's how you use the
    phone as a modem.

    They didn't say what you can do when you connect, so even this
    connection meets their advertising, misleading as it may be.

Motorola Bluetooth