Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CD/DVD spdif validity flag

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
September 26, 2004 6:20:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hello rec.audio.proers,

I'm looking for current CD or DVD players that do report the spdif
validity flag from the coaxial digital output.

It's for loading into a workstation like Sadie. I have one player left
here that does, a Pioneer DV-340, but it has terrible error correction
so the smallest defect in a CD is audible as a glitch or skip (Pioneer
so far has the honor of worst CD playback I can find, a very valuable
thing in my business). OTOH, I can take any cheap $75 player that will
correct practically every error but they don't report the validity
flag even on a terribly damaged, glitching, muting CD.

Thanks for any help

George @ _ amtechdisc.com
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 1:29:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

You need a computer drive that supports PlextoolsPro, such as the Plextor
PX712....
Note: not all of the Plextor drives support PlextoolsPro....

See...
http://www.plextor.be/technicalservices/technology/plex...

On another note why on earth would you be using an audio CD drive?.....

My editor imports directly from the CD.... Magix Sequoia...

Regards
Eric


"George" <georgewf@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:60773801.0409261320.158affe0@posting.google.com...
> Hello rec.audio.proers,
>
> I'm looking for current CD or DVD players that do report the spdif
> validity flag from the coaxial digital output.
>
> It's for loading into a workstation like Sadie. I have one player left
> here that does, a Pioneer DV-340, but it has terrible error correction
> so the smallest defect in a CD is audible as a glitch or skip (Pioneer
> so far has the honor of worst CD playback I can find, a very valuable
> thing in my business). OTOH, I can take any cheap $75 player that will
> correct practically every error but they don't report the validity
> flag even on a terribly damaged, glitching, muting CD.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> George @ _ amtechdisc.com
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 9:49:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Eric K. Weber" wrote:
>
> You need a computer drive that supports PlextoolsPro, such as the Plextor
> PX712....
> Note: not all of the Plextor drives support PlextoolsPro....
>
> "George" <georgewf@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:60773801.0409261320.158affe0@posting.google.com...
> > Hello rec.audio.proers,
> >
> > I'm looking for current CD or DVD players that do report the spdif
> > validity flag from the coaxial digital output.
> >

All the Plextor drives that I've ever seen are supported by Plextools
Pro - even drives that were made before the first version of Plextools.
The best drives for audio extraction are the Ultraplex readers or the
newer CD writers. Some of their older CD writers don't output the error
flag information needed for best accuracy (look for a green tick next to
C2 Errors in Plextools' Drive Information->Features tab).

To the best of my knowledge, the only way to ensure an accurate copy of
an audio CD is to extract the audio using Plextools or Exact Audio Copy.
If an error is detected then both of these programs will attempt to
re-read the offending sectors a number of times (possibly at a slower
speed) in order to obtain the most accurate extraction possible.

Most audio extraction programs ignore any error flags which means that
you could end up with glitches in the audio without any warning so stick
with one of these two programs.

Cheers.

James.

PS - I'm not a Sadie user so it is possible that Sadie may have their
own way around this problem.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 4:06:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"James Perrett" <James.R.Perrett@soc.soton.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:4159962D.8F89DDB3@soc.soton.ac.uk...
> To the best of my knowledge, the only way to ensure an accurate copy of
> an audio CD is to extract the audio using Plextools or Exact Audio Copy.
> If an error is detected then both of these programs will attempt to
> re-read the offending sectors a number of times (possibly at a slower
> speed) in order to obtain the most accurate extraction possible.

Samplitude directly supports the Plextor technology.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
Mastering, Audio for Picture, Mix Evaluation and Quality Control
Over 40 years making people sound better than they ever imagined!
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com
September 29, 2004 6:40:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Bob Olhsson wrote:

> Samplitude directly supports the Plextor technology.
>

I do have a bunch of Plextors.

What I'm actually looking for is a real CD player (Denon, Sony?) that
raises an error signal in the coaxial spdif data stream.

My older Pioneer does but no new players I've tried do.

I don't know if other workstations have an spdif monitor. Sadie
(Classic) reports when there is an error on a DAT or CD. For example if
I take a known bad CD with uncorrectable errors, Sadie will catch the
errors to confirm the CD really is bad when played at the proper 1X
audio speed.

To test, you could take any scrap CD and cut a few razor marks into it
so you hear it glitching on playback. Does your workstation/CD combo
report errors?


Thanks

George Frehner
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 7:01:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

George wrote:
>
> Bob Olhsson wrote:
>
> > Samplitude directly supports the Plextor technology.
> >
>
> I do have a bunch of Plextors.
>
> What I'm actually looking for is a real CD player (Denon, Sony?) that
> raises an error signal in the coaxial spdif data stream.
>

Your first message said that you wanted to load the audio into a
computer based workstation. That's why I would consider that you would
obtain much more accurate (and faster) audio extraction if you used a
computer system.

Modern computer drives also have spdif outputs so it might be worth
checking to see whether they also output the error flags in the spdif
stream if you really want to continue using this method.

Cheers.

James.
September 30, 2004 2:17:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

James Perrett wrote:


>
> Your first message said that you wanted to load the audio into a
> computer based workstation. That's why I would consider that you would
> obtain much more accurate (and faster) audio extraction if you used a
> computer system.
>

Hi James,

I have several reasons:

- we prefer to listen as we load it. If you jump right in to doing
edits or mastering without listening to it first you don't have a
complete picture of the album. How can you tell a paying client that you
didn't hear those other problems? For example, yesterday we had a CD
that was missing half the first beat on track 1 (and every other track
was also improperly indexed like that). With our CD player we were able
to rewind into the pregap to capture it. I don't know if you would have
had such luck with extraction software.

- we don't have to worry about putting cross-fades back together again.

- if we load it by CD-ROM, we have to listen anyways because we have
been burned in the past using that method. And our older Sadie system
isn't that efficient importing audio into its proprietary hard disk
subsystem.

- I use this method for QCing CDs at 1X speed which is impossible with
new Plextors.
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 6:43:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <ANs6d.28204$Xw1.1513946@wagner.videotron.net>,
George <georgewf@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What I'm actually looking for is a real CD player (Denon, Sony?) that
> raises an error signal in the coaxial spdif data stream.

The Tascam CD-RW5000 does this. It's not a current model, but it does
work pretty well. Tascam makes some more modern models - perhaps they
set the validity bit too?


Best of luck,

Monte McGuire
monte.mcguire@verizon.net
!