Windows 7 won't respond

jarrchng

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Every time after startup, windows will stop responding after I click something. I tried using ctrl alt delete, but the screen would just turn black and give me a message saying "failure to display security and shut down options". Everything was fine with my desktop before and it's still new. Just bought it a few weeks ago. This started happening yesterday when I tried to add songs to this free mp3 player I got. The system said that the mp3 player malfunctioned and started making a sound, the sound that you hear when you repeatedly insert and remove a USB. I swear everything on my pc is legal and that there are no viruses. I tried scanning the pc in safe mode of any corrupted files and there was only one, but a message said that the file was fixed. Safe mode works fine though, I'm not sure why. I can't reformat the pc since I dont have the windows 7 disk. Acer didn't provide it in the box. I need help urgently. Thanks in advance.

Solution
When the Acer logo appears on the screen, press the Alt and F10 keys repeatedly.When the Acer logo appears on the screen, press the Alt and F10 keys repeatedly.

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Let's assume it's a software (not hardware) related problem.

You can try running a System Restore in Safe Mode, if it offers a previous date you can use to return to.

Otherwise, you could take a good look at Disk Management, to see if you have an in-built recovery partition on your hard disk. If you're not sure what to look for, you can create a screenshot and put the image here.
If there's such a partition, then you can check the manual how to restore it.

You said it's an Acer desktop. Can you tell us, what model is it?

Apart from these, there's the reinstallation. But as far as I know, you don't need to purchase a new Windows 7, you can download the installer disk from legit source, and use the product key that you already have (probably on a sticker somewhere on the computer).

jarrchng

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

I actually used system restore three times already, but the problem keeps on occurring, even if I restored it to the earliest event. I'll try to use disk management. Thanks.

jarrchng

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
A few weeks ago, my friend told me that he could change my version of Windows for free and legally since I was having trouble changing the language since I originally had Home Premium. He helped changed it to Ultimate. Right now I think that may be one of the reasons I''m having this problem.

jarrchng

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Not sure if this will help, but here's a screen-shot of my system:
HykFS.jpg

Another angle of attack to this problem is to restore the OEM (acer) system image stored on the hidden partition of your hard drive.

Most OEMs ship their systems with a system image stored in a hidden partition of the hard drive. If you can get in to your computers BIOS configuration screens, you should be able to find the "restore" function and simply restore the machine to it's factory fresh state.

Look at your computer's documentation or check the Acer Web site for info on how to get into your computer's BIOS setup screens.

sounds like malware... if safe mode is available then you may just be able to install malwarebytes or similar... but it looks to me your way past that point and need a fresh install...
if you didnt make a rescue disk then your in deep water as far as restoring your system. ask a m8 to borrow his/her disk but it must be the same version of windows as yours... when yu do install make sure you boot off the disk from a cold start... meaning make sure the pc is off for at least 30 seconds with no power at all.
boot off the disk and delete the primary partition and create a new 1. fast format it and then install windows.
1s done get a decent antivirus like avira (its free for personal use) which really is 1 of the best...

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
What does the little Chinese text say in English in the bottom right corner, above the clock?

When your friend changed the system to Ultimate, it probably became a 30-day tryout version of Windows 7 Ultimate. This is why you have the black background in Safe Mode. And I guess the 30 days elapsed (you said few weeks, could it be exactly a month ago?)

So your options now:
Option No. 1.
Find out about recovery possibilities
I've found only a "generic" user guide at Acer's product support website, which doesn't tell anything about any recovery possibilities.
When I said screenshot, I was thinking of a screenshot of the Disk Management window. Just to see, what partitions your hard disk has, and does it have any hidden partitions.

Option No.2
Reinstall your operating system to a Windows 7 Home Premium (but this time, install in your preferred language), using a Windows 7 install disk and your key.
Yeah, you can borrow a Win7 Home Premium disk from a friend. Or you can download it in iso image format and burn it to a DVD, check out the links here:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1755258
I think the one that you need is the en_windows_7_home_premium_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676549.iso

jarrchng

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

the chinese words says "safe mode". and yes, it was about a month ago. here's a screenshot of the disk management: http://i.imgur.com/orKTr.jpg

i don't have the windows 7 disk since it was pre-installed

jarrchng

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

I used system restore three times already, once in safe mode, and it did nothing. The problem was still there. Thanks for the response.

jarrchng

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

for that link, is the one you recommended me for 64 bit?

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
All right, it says you do have a 20 GB recovery partition. Let's hope that you have the factory setup recovery image there. Now you'll just have to find out, how to initiate the recovery process. Sometimes when you start the system, it says somewhere on the initial splash screen which button (usually a Function button, like F9) has to be pushed to go into the recovery system.

jarrchng

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

when I start the system, it only says press Del for setup and F12 for boot something. nothing about going into the recovery system. I'll try pressing F9 though.

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

Yes, just like it says in the file name: English Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 64 bit.

All in all, this seems to be your best option now, because even if you did a successful recovery, you'll still end up with the original language.

Just a comment: if you have doubts about this download, you can verify the downloaded file by running a SHA hash check on it, and compare the result with the one that can be found on msdn.microsoft.com. Ask away if you need further guidance, how to do this. But I'm pretty sure there's no problem with it.

Me and my updates again... Yeah, if you go down the reinstall way, you know what you have to do (I'm just saying, it never hurts): backup your important files. And download the drivers now, in Safe Mode, if you don't have another computer around, because after installation, you can't be sure that the network will work with the Windows 7built-in network driver.

jarrchng

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Thank you very much. Because of this, I was able to reset back to factory setting without having to download Windows 7. This solved my problem. Thank you.

jarrchng

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

I didn't have to do these things since I reset my pc back to factory settings with the help of abekl. Thank you for posting here and helping me.

jarrchng

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Thank you for trying to help me.