Sign in with
Your question

Antec's Metallic Grey - What's the deal???

Last response: in Components
September 22, 2002 2:59:43 AM

So it seems that Antec's PLUS 660 black case is $30 more expensive than the metallic grey version of the same model.

What's the deal? Do they want everyone's computers to look retarded?

Can anyone shed some light on why it's so much more expensive to get a normal color of this case, or perhaps why I'd want to have a silly looking quasi-shiny metal computer?

-DOOM
September 22, 2002 6:24:26 AM

Have you considered a Chieftec case (same case)? Various colors are available at similar prices (all between $50 and $65).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
September 22, 2002 6:27:31 AM

I was really interested in the TruePower PSU by Antec. As far as I know, the chieftecs don't have this, right?

I want a case/PSU combo that is SUPER QUIET, and ENGINEER-FRIENDLY. The Antec Performance Plus 660 seemed to meet my needs perfectly. Would you recommend getting a chieftec and a separate PSU over the Antec Plus660?

-DOOM
Related resources
September 22, 2002 6:40:16 AM

Sure, you could get the Antec separately or an Enermax (or whatever other brand you like, there are a few high end manufacturers). The case chassis is the same, like I said. All versions that are available from Antec are available from Chieftec. If you type "Chieftec" into the search box at Newegg you'll get quite a selection.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
September 22, 2002 6:42:36 AM

Darn, looks like Newegg dropped the mini and full towers.

September 22, 2002 6:43:48 AM

That's ok... i usually shop with pricewatch anyway. So what cheiftec model is equivalent to the Antec Plus 660?

-DOOM
September 22, 2002 6:59:41 AM

I forgot, you should go to chieftec's website for model numbers.

September 22, 2002 7:05:15 AM

So is there any functional difference between Antec's PLUS660, PLUS660B, and PLUS660AMG? The AMG is consistently cheaper than the other two. Is it lacking some cool feature??

-DOOM
September 26, 2002 4:13:54 PM

We're phasing out the beige and black versions of the Plus cases. There is no functional difference between the versions though.

I don't know if Chieftec has a similar model either (front USB/Firewire, I imagine the filter is easy enough though).

AntecRep
September 27, 2002 4:13:43 PM

are you really an antec rep or just like antec a lot?

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
September 30, 2002 10:56:15 PM

Really I work for Antec. I'm on a number of boards as either AntecRep or AntecCSR (I started off as Customer Service Rep).

And I do like a lot of our products (had a not so good experience with an InWin case that a friend got for me). I've owned an SX830 (sold if after an upgrade) and currently use a Plus680B (ok really 660B, but I changed the PSU to a 430). I've gotten SX830 for mom, gf, and friends (something like 15 cases or so) and only 1 bad PSU (one of my own actually). Obviously it's pretty easy for me to RMA things if need be. 8)

AntecRep
October 1, 2002 12:22:43 PM

If you're really an Antec rep then let me just say that I love your Plus1080 case and TruPower 430W PSU!!! :smile:

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.
October 1, 2002 8:48:11 PM

Thanks, I'll pass that along.

AntecRep
October 9, 2002 4:55:32 AM

odd that the pic at newegg of the PLUS660AMG doesnt show a hole on top for the power supply, but the pic of the power supply at antec-inc has a fan on the top. i wish antec sold the 430w ps in that box, too.
October 15, 2002 7:29:11 PM

The fan is on the bottom, the pics on our site just have the PSU flipped so people can see the 2nd fan.

AntecRep
October 25, 2002 10:55:21 PM

Perhaps you can explain? Just bought a 1080AMG (mighty impressed!!!), and the manual speaks of 8 wires for the front USB ports. I have 9 wires.

?????

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=324" target="_new">My System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:
October 27, 2002 11:53:14 PM

COOL.
This is only the second instance i have seen of an Official Company Rep frequenting a forum.

(The other was an Epox rep in <A HREF="http://www.aoafiles.com" target="_new">http://www.aoafiles.com&lt;/A>)

Wellcome to THGC. And enjoy your stay.

<b>Cogposto tomsa, ergo sum - <i>Descartes</i>
</b>Translation:<b> I post at Toms Hardware, Therefor I am. :smile: </b>
October 30, 2002 5:52:55 PM

It was an inline change. To my knowledge it's going to change again 9 wires 8 pins.

Call tech support 1-800-22 ANTEC (26832) and they should be able to get it straightened out for you.

AntecRep
!