Sign in with
Your question
Solved

File permission errors

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 8
February 18, 2013 12:26:50 PM

After spending all weekend trying to install windows on a usb I finally got it to work and it works great. A little slow because its usb 2.0 but I have a 3.0 on the way.
However, I was able to boot up fine on 3 pc's and it works great but after I booted up on my laptop with windows 8 and tried to access my files under user i got the you do not have permissions and I clicked ok to grant me them. But I keep getting them so like an idiot I keep pressing ok. Then I booted back into my HDD win 8 and I was getting you do not have permission all over the place. So I went into C:\ properties and security and gave myself permission and after a reboot I just got a blank screen. But after hours of trying to fix it I finally found one site where he had the same problem and used icacls to fix it and it worked for me. The app store crashes and all the apps I have do not open but at least my os boots.

So I am really just asking how can I prevent "you do not have permissions", say a work around, without messing up the permissions with the other os? I believe he did mention that he had the same username and that could be why.

More about : file permission errors

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
June 27, 2013 3:24:25 PM

Hello monkey10120

From the security point of view, it is always a good idea to create a local user account with standard permissions (non-administrator account) and use that account to perform daily tasks. Use administrator account only when you want to install an application or if you want to make some changes in the system settings.

All post-Windows XP operating systems such as Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 have User Account Control (UAC) which even eliminates the need of logging on to the administrator account by displaying the UAC confirmation box to provide the administrator password or consent (as per the configured settings).

Just create a standard user account and start using it. You might get annoyed with the several UAC boxes in the first few days, but trust me it's a safe way to keep your system protected even without an anti-virus.

Hope this helps.
!