IP Conflict with daisy chained Netgear CGD24G wired & wireless cable modem t

basia

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
I'm a complete newbie at this, so please bear with me.

I'm attempting to connect multiple computers, laptops and printers to the same LAN. I currently have the switch daisy chained to the modem. I'm having issues with conflicting IP addresses and wireless access. I think I have to create static IP addresses but don't know which nor how.

The hardware I'm seeking to have on one LAN:
- Netgear CGD24G Cable Modem from Time Warner
- Netgear GS116E un-managed switch
- iMac OSX 10.8.x
- Dell PC desktop, Windows 7
- Sony Vaio PC desktop, Windows XP
- Dell PC desktop, Windows XP
- Sony Vaio laptop, Windows 7 Pro
- MacAir OSX 10.8.x
- MacBook Pro OSX (not sure which OS version)
- HP JetDirect 300x Print Serve (hooked up to HP LaserJet 2300)
- Epson Artisan 835
- Netgear Universal Adapter for Home Entertainment (SAVB5004)
- Netgear Powerline 500 Nano
- Apple iPhones (4 of these)
- Apple iPad

Several of these can work wirelessly, though I prefer wired whenever possible.

I have been getting IP address conflict notices as well as the wireless signal not being received on some of the wireless capable devices, which seems to be random but it could be that I just don't know enough to recognize a pattern. I believe the devices are all set to automatic assignment of IP addresses.

What is the correct way to daisy chain the cable modem and switch?

What is the correct protocol for assignment of IP addresses in order to avoid IP conflict?

Why does my wireless drop on some of the wireless-capable devices (such as the iMac, MacAir or Sony laptop)?

Any other advice?

Thanks!

d85kennedy

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
you need to enable DHCP on your router. this will give out IP addresses for you. All devices must be setup to have IP and DNS settings automatically.

since you have a lot of devices make sure that your router dhcp pool is big enough to cover them all.

ie 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.10 will only give you 10 devices at a time.

connect your router to the switch using a straight-through cat5 cable that is known to work.

basia

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Thanks d85kennedy for your reply. I caved in and had a pro come in and help out.

For those that may have a similar situation, here's what he did:

1. Like d86kennedy suggested, the router is daisy chained to the switch with a patch CAT cable. The router is already set up for DHCP and the range is from xx.xxxx.x.2-100, so there is enough in the pool.
2. The HP Jet Direct printer server was assigned a static IP address outside of the pool.
3. The Epson printer was assigned a static IP address outside of the pool.
4. The Netgear GS116E switch was also assigned a static IP address outside of the pool.
5. Using the Netgear Powerline Utility (NPU) software the Netgear Universal Adapter base was assigned a name, since the utility software allows for it. This makes it easier to identify.
6. The Netgear Universal Adapter receiving unit was also assigned a name using the utility software. Again, making it easier to identify.
7. The Netgear Powerline 500 Nano units (purchased as a pair) cannot be assigned names, but are individually identifiable using the NPU software and hovering the cursor on the icon.
8. Using the NPU software #6 and #7 were tied in with the Universal Adapter base (#5 above) and act as receivers. So now I have extra receivers for visitors!
9. All other devices were left unchanged to use their built-in auto IP addressing.
10. The only CAT cable plugged into the router is the patch cable to the switch. All devices are plugged into the switch box.

Now I'll cross my fingers and hope that this set up holds!