Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
Is there an easy way to know the difference between "single-sided" and "double-sided" memory?
My Gigabyte board is picky on that topic -page 11 of the manual.

I've purchaed PC2100 memory with chips on both sides but the board treats it as "single sided".

Since it is not as simple as the chips physical position on the memory board, I need another way to know what I am buying when I upgrade.

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If it has chips on both sides, it should be treated as double sided. If your board is seeing the module as half sized, chances are good that it's reading both sides, but at half size, because the memory density is too high for the chipset. Read the FAQ.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

fastingsetiman

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2002
Hi. Both sides are connected as one circut. Still DDR, of course because of the rising and falling edges of the clock, but for both sides to be separate electrically it would be considered " dual banked ", not double-sided.

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
Technically, "Double Sided" DDR is dual banked as well. Says SisSoft Sandra. Each slot consists of two slots.
0/1
1/2
3/4

The problem is Giga-Byte cross banked memory slot 2 and memory slot 3 making the combination deadly to your system if you try to use more than one "Double Sided" DDR stick.

Thanks for the reply.

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JEFF68005 on 12/22/02 03:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

fastingsetiman

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2002
Hi. Yes, but they can still be one circut or so says that degree on the wall I'm looking at right now. Hey, just BSin'. The only degree I have is the degree of separation I have from the looney bin.

RCH

TRENDING THREADS