DVD ROM Problems

badl

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2002
Here i the situation. My dvd drive has no probelm accessing cds i put in and it only takes about 5-10 seconds or so for them to load in a player, but when I try a dvd movie, it takes between 5 minutes and 10 minutes. I can then watch it but it will evetually lockup my entire system. Also what I noted was that powerdvd showed that my 16X DVD was reading at 1X. Any help or input would be great.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm. i would suspect that you have a bad/missbehaving dvd drive.

<b><font color=blue>I prefer to blend into the background, because it's much easier to sneak up on people and disembowel them that way. Arr!</b></font color=blue>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
sounds like the DVD read head is having a problem (there is a seperate head for CD-ROMs I think or at least a different mode)

no-one shouts louder than someone who is being ignored, or in the case of techies, to be heard over the noise of their PC's ;-)

basmic

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2001
After once previously dismantling a Toshiba DVD/CD-RW (combo, not a DVD-R though) I can confirm there are two heads.

Which is why if you want to clean the DVD lenses with a DVD/CD cleaner, you should probably buy two seperate cleaners: DVD and CD, to ensure both lenses/heads are cleaned.

If you go inside the actual drive, be sure to gently use a cotton wool bud with a gentle solution - personally, I used the liquid from a CD cleaner. Also be sure to dry it off.

When you're done, apply some vaseline to the metal-rails which the lens/heads travels along. This can help in a lot of cases I've done this with.

Anyhow, best of luck!

====
Basmic