Lan Sharing Issues

koaster

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Okay first off, sorry if this isnt the right section, still new to this forum.

I recently purchased a few extra desktops and am wishing to share all the files from my main to the rest of them.

They are all connected through a 10/100 12 port switch, i know they are functioning because i have synergy running flawlessly across them all.

I have set up several share folders including two hard drives and mapped them as network drives. (view from PC 2)
94tGi.png

They both have been working before but now i get this error when i try to open the Media drive i get this error when i try to help from (PC2):
7B0lg.png

When i view the folders through network i can see the hard drives and folders shared.
qfYhX.png

but if i try to open anything other then the one drive that works which is Back Up Drive i get this error
Rrl8d.png

Any idea whats happening? All networks on both computers are set to private (not public private acts as work/home just had to do it a differnt way because something f**cked up somewere and windows wouldnt let me change it like that) Im not connected to any homegroup would that make any difference?

Here are the settings on PC1 - the computer with the hard drives.
UjIbX.png

Its just strange because i think i have set it up correctly, well i half know i have because one of the drives is doing what it should, the Back up drive is functioning correctly with no problems its just all the others.

Before this started to happen also i would be asked for user credentials but i was unsure why because i turned password sharing off but it continued to ask for it. I jsut assumed it was the username and login password for the user that was sharing?

Any help would be greatfull thanks.

d85kennedy

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
you need to have a different username and password assigned to each computer.

eg pc1 username = pc1 , password = password1
pc2 - username = pc2, password = password 2.

only then will your shared drives work. if any of the pc's have the same name/username they will have to be changed.

ps - why did you not buy a server instead of " a few desktops". networking is mch more reliable with a server when you reach lots of desktops

koaster

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

i thought about making a server but what would i use? Windows or a linix distro? If you could point me in the right direction that would be great?

koaster

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

This is actually surprisingly cheap but because i dont live in the states i actually reside in Australia, that website dosnt do shipping to here i think.

Take a look for a similar product then in your area. I linked those as an example, although that is a very good price for a network drive also :)

koaster

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

I have always been interested in purchasing an actual server, second hand of corse but i havnt found anyware that sells them online? You wouldnt happen to know anywere would you?

Ebay, but shipping on those can be pricy, a real server has some heavy hardware in it, dual power supplies, heavy case for rack mounting.