Bought new router, Experiencing higher ping.

taylortolliver

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I posted a thread a few weeks back about slow internet. That has been fixed. After upgrading our router to AT&T's Netgear Modem/Wireless router combo I have a new issue. My entire household is experiencing higher ping. Our speed is as it should be. The Speedtest.net server I typically use located in Toledo, Ohio went from 35-40ms to 90-100. If I play Counter Strike Source, servers I used to get 40ms on I now get 100 constant. You catch my drift. It never goes down.

THINGS THAT ARE RULED OUT:

- The fact my personal desktop is running on a wireless connection. Its a problem even for the family computer which is where the network is wired to.
- Network usage by other people and downloads. I had everyone in the house shut off their computers and I still experienced the ping issues.
- The router firmware. It has an automatic updates, it found no updates and I even searched for newer firmware manually and found nothing. I can only assume its the latest firmware.
- I have reset the internet multiple times, reset the router and so on.

Thanks for any and all help.

I'm not 100% certain, but the security may be better on this router. Turning on stuff like SPI (stateful packet inspection) is great for security, but it will effect performance as every packet must now get inspected (deep inspection). I'm not familiar with that model router, but SPI may be on by default. If it's not effecting gameplay then I advise you leave it turned on.

taylortolliver

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Thanks for the reply. I looked on my router and SPI setting is not there. However theres a bunch of Firewall settings labeled IPv4 and IPv6 that I can check and uncheck. I have no idea what those are though.

ezhangf92

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013

I'm actually having the exact same problem right now. I also just upgraded my modem to AT&T's Netgear Modem/Wireless router combo and I get higher overall ping as well as some spikes that go up to the 170s. Did you ever find the solution to this problem or did you just get your modem replaced?