Riven text adventure

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of a translation of Riven into a
text-based game? I've been looking for one.

Thanks,
Nick Matteo

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:40:47 -0500
Nick Matteo <kundor@kundor.org> wrote:

> Hello,
> I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of a translation of Riven into a
> text-based game? I've been looking for one.
>
> Thanks,
> Nick Matteo

Why on earth would anyone want to do that?

Here, Thomas N McEwan <captaininsanity@onayamspay.uk2.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:40:47 -0500
> Nick Matteo <kundor@kundor.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of a translation of Riven into a
> > text-based game? I've been looking for one.
>
> Why on earth would anyone want to do that?

It would be an interesting design challenge -- but a difficult one,
since so many of the puzzles are visual.

In any case, as far as I know, it's never been done.

--Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.

Nick Matteo wrote:
> Hello,
> I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of a translation of Riven into a
> text-based game? I've been looking for one.
>
> Thanks,
> Nick Matteo

Excerpts from such a game....
[tiny spoilers...]

"You're on a path in the forest. It's really pretty and there
are a lot of exotic sounds. There's a post in front of you
with a button on top that's kind of hard to see."

"You see strange and wondrous animal. It's making the sound
'Squaoooonk'"

"You've just entered a room. Usually the doors close behind you
but this time they didn't. Hmmmm..."

"You're looking at a map of one of the islands. There something
special at coordinates 13,21".

No. I just don't see it being much of a hit.

-E