Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Lagging on win7

Last response: in Windows 7
May 7, 2012 12:49:51 PM

Hi, my windows 7 is constantly lagging in the desktop which can be quite frustrating when using MS Word because i have to type and then wait for 5 seconds to see the results.
this does not appear in games (such as Skyrim) and I have a GTX580 MSI Twin Frozr II.
could this be a corrupt driver or something? also i have a DVI/VGA adapter cause of an old monitor (haven't invested in a good monitor/s yet :??:  )

this is what i have:
1x MSI Big Bang Marshal B3
1x GTX580 MSI Twin Frozr II
4x 4GB corsair dominator (2133MHz)
1x i7 2700k 3.5GHz

yes, i realize that some of these are total overkill :wahoo: 

oh, and please keep in mind that i'm a noob :o 

More about : lagging win7

Best solution

May 7, 2012 1:07:28 PM

return everything to stock settings...
worst case... install windows to another hdd to test if word does the same thing on the new install ( BTW a new install gives you up to 30 days testing time... just dont activate it.)
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2012 1:19:08 PM

have you opened task manager (right click on the taskbar) and looked for anything hogging up your cpu in the processes tab?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2012 1:22:55 PM

If you don't have a spare HDD, should be able to dual boot to a new install of Windows on the current boot drive.
m
l
May 7, 2012 2:09:33 PM

Quote:
return everything to stock settings...
worst case... install windows to another hdd to test if word does the same thing on the new install ( BTW a new install gives you up to 30 days testing time... just dont activate it.)

if you mean by stock settings, to set default settings in bios, then it is so.. haven't toched anything
also it's not just word, but everything (chrome, utorrent, steam) as long as i'm not in-game it lags
Quote:
have you opened task manager (right click on the taskbar) and looked for anything hogging up your cpu in the processes tab?
everything seems normal there.. all on 0
Quote:
If you don't have a spare HDD, should be able to dual boot to a new install of Windows on the current boot drive.

i do actually have a spare hdd from a laptop, but this was a problem on this hdd earlier.
when i did a windows install earlier it said in bios that cpu was 65-70C, so i tried underlclocking it (being nervous that my cpu was to hot by only booting up), after a short while windows just got slower and slower and eventually i got a BSOD. i did a fresh install of windows and set default settings in BIOS, downloaded core-temp (a program to watch CPU temprature) and it seemed not to go over 80 in a prime95 stress test. everything has seemed normal until recently when it started lagging, only this time it's not getting worse. instead it just stays like this
m
l
May 7, 2012 2:14:29 PM

just tried prime95 again and it went up to 90, and then i stopped.. i'm not an experienced overclocker and don't want to mess up :bounce: 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2012 2:26:02 PM

When you had Task Manager up did you click on Show All Processes? If not it may have not shown the problem. Just a hunch as it sounds like there is something that is hogging the CPU.
m
l
May 7, 2012 2:34:10 PM

Quote:
When you had Task Manager up did you click on Show All Processes? If not it may have not shown the problem. Just a hunch as it sounds like there is something that is hogging the CPU.

system idle process is on 99, other than that all is normal
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2012 2:43:08 PM

fanin said:
Quote:

system idle process is on 99, other than that all is normal

i just took a shot. TBO its whacky your lagging on a desktop but fine in games; its usually the other way around.
i am not sure it is a hard rive issue, only your start up of an application would really suffer, when it accesses the HD, once the app is running its loaded in memory.
i still wonder about your video driver . . .
m
l
May 7, 2012 2:52:32 PM

Quote:
i just took a shot. TBO its whacky your lagging on a desktop but fine in games; its usually the other way around.
i am not sure it is a hard rive issue, only your start up of an application would really suffer, when it accesses the HD, once the app is running its loaded in memory.
i still wonder about your video driver . . .

that's also what i think, since it runs very smooth in games and not in desktop i think it could be something with the driver 2D as well as 3D or something. i tried installing an old 2D game (i wanna be the guy) and it lags when i play it. yesterday i updated my nvidia driver to a new beta version and there's no difference.
i also noticed that when running the stress test in prime95 it lagged more frequently, which kinda makes me wonder.. driver or cpu? :heink: 
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2012 3:06:34 PM

i would believe if you pass prime95 your cpu is fine. i was going to suggest trying onbord graphics until i looked at your board; EIGHT pci x16 SLOTS?! you are sick :lol: 

i can completely understand your frustration having this problem with your rig.

btw, when you updated to the beta driver did you use driver sweeper in safe mode to uninstall anything left over from the windows uninstall?
http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html
m
l
May 7, 2012 3:14:53 PM

Quote:
i would believe if you pass prime95 your cpu is fine. i was going to suggest trying onbord graphics until i looked at your board; EIGHT pci x16 SLOTS?! you are sick :lol: 

btw, when you updated to the beta driver did you use driver sweeper in safe mode to uninstall anything left over from the windows uninstall?

i only ran prime95 for a minute.. i stopped it when it reached 90C
haven't tried driver sweeper yet but i did delete the windows.old folder if that's what you mean
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2012 3:25:48 PM

fanin said:
Quote:

i only ran prime95 for a minute.. i stopped it when it reached 90C
haven't tried driver sweeper yet but i did delete the windows.old folder if that's what you mean

ah . .i wasn't referring to that . .but glad you mentioned it. so i take it you did a re-install of windows(?). i wonder if something went wrong in that process.

but you re-installed windows BECAUSE of this problem?

EDIT: and i think we may want to talk about that heat problem too.
m
l
May 7, 2012 3:27:57 PM

before this windows just got slower and slower and eventually BSOD.. this time it just stays this slow and nothing else.. it doesn't get better or worse
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2012 3:31:30 PM

ok. i am a firm believer in doing a clean install to relieve a problem; sometimes just re-installing is putting a band aide on it.

but i take it you have data you don't want to lose when you format?
m
l
May 7, 2012 3:34:51 PM

Quote:
ok. i am a firm believer in doing a clean install to relieve a problem; sometimes just re-installing is putting a band aide on it.

this is true.. and i don't wan't to keep re-installing if it's just going to happen again.. seems pointless :??: 
m
l
May 7, 2012 3:37:45 PM

fanin said:
Hi, my windows 7 is constantly lagging in the desktop which can be quite frustrating when using MS Word because i have to type and then wait for 5 seconds to see the results.
this does not appear in games (such as Skyrim) and I have a GTX580 MSI Twin Frozr II.
could this be a corrupt driver or something? also i have a DVI/VGA adapter cause of an old monitor (haven't invested in a good monitor/s yet :??:  )

this is what i have:
1x MSI Big Bang Marshal B3
1x GTX580 MSI Twin Frozr II
4x 4GB corsair dominator (2133MHz)
1x i7 2700k 3.5GHz

yes, i realize that some of these are total overkill :wahoo: 

oh, and please keep in mind that i'm a noob :o 

m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2012 3:48:07 PM

fanin said:
Quote:

this is true.. and i don't wan't to keep re-installing if it's just going to happen again.. seems pointless :??: 

well i am stuck at thinking a clean install is the way to be assured there isn't a corrupt driver being pesky. there may be another way someone else can advise.

also i would highly recommend reseating that heat sink; is that a stock cooler? a $20 investment for a cooler master hyper 212+ might be a wise investment.
m
l
May 7, 2012 3:51:33 PM

i am currently using the standard crap intel cooler, but i have recently ordered the corsair h100.. heard good things about it :) 
m
l
May 7, 2012 3:58:44 PM

what would happen if a cpu or ram got too much or too little voltage.. could that maybe cause it to lag?
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2012 4:00:46 PM

yes the h100 seems to have a fine reputation.

another shot is going to the event manger in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools and see if your getting some common warnings critical events.

EDIT: i would believe a voltage problem would more likely show up gaming than on a desktop.
m
l
May 7, 2012 4:16:19 PM

what would bios normally say about a cpu like this?.. i could check to see if default settings are different from what it should say or something like that.. like i said i'm not experienced with clocking and such, and have no idea what it should say.. or does cpu-z give the same info?
m
l
May 7, 2012 5:53:04 PM

I just turned on xmp in the bios and now im getting bsod, even if i put it off again.
(i'm typing this from my phone)
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2012 6:17:05 PM

whoa.
reset the bios by removing the battery with the computer unplugged for a few minutes. then replace the battery , plug in and reboot.
m
l
May 7, 2012 7:22:33 PM

i restored to a previous setting that worked, and i'm back on the pc.. now i'm just confused :??: 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2012 7:35:30 PM

bad Heat sink installation, are all of the push pins secure?
m
l
May 7, 2012 7:40:49 PM

double checked heat sink. seems nice and tight.. think it might show a difference in lag when i get the h100?
m
l
May 8, 2012 10:22:22 AM

Probably worth mentioning that the desktop runs perfectly for about 15-20 minutes before lagging.
I also tried installing a driver from the msi website for the gpu.. Still nothing
m
l
May 8, 2012 4:45:53 PM

Yes i use core temp and tried prime stress test.. I got nervous when it reached 90C and stopped, other than that it seems to stay at 50-60C
m
l
Anonymous
May 8, 2012 5:01:37 PM

It might be a key-logging virus that is bogging down your system, however it could be anything that the other people are suggesting as well.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 8, 2012 5:03:24 PM

those are high temps both for idle and load. you did use thermal paste, right?

you really can't be running that chip like that. please reseat the heat sink.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 8, 2012 5:21:51 PM

Wow. Idle should be about 30C? Maybe less.
m
l
May 9, 2012 10:49:00 AM

Sorry, i said wrong temps (i checked right after a game or something).. Temps seems to stay around 30-40C.
However, i found my dusty old hdd from an old laptop, installed windows on it, and it runs smooooth :) 
Guess i should have listened to the first posts
So apparently it was an unstable hdd
m
l
May 9, 2012 10:52:22 AM

Best answer selected by fanin.
m
l
!