Invisible

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2002
Hi,
I want to buy a Samsung 40 GB 7200 rpm hard drive for my new computer. I have heard that Samsung hard drive is only good for data storage, and it doesn't work as well when people install the OS on them. Is it true? I need some advices before I made my decision. Thanks!!

Invisible

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Samsung has 2 types if drive P & V... avoid the P models, this is poor, the V models are quite good, not top of the range fast but offer reasonably good performance & are quite cheap comparitively... and I think they are only 5400RPM... (ie better than a U6 & Dx540 but not as good as a 120GXP or WD1200)

no-one shouts louder than someone who is being ignored, or in the case of techies, to be heard over the noise of their PC's ;-)

gaviota

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I had this problem once with a 40GB 5400rpm Samsung. I could never get past the "Verifying DMI Pool..." message and the PC wouldn't boot in Win 2K or XP. It would only boot in Win 98 or ME. I installed a Maxtor drive and the problem was solved. I ended up using the Samsung as slave.