Status
Not open for further replies.

OK, he still doesn't share his techniques, but I still found the better
than 6 pages of interview with Rudy Van Gelder in the Sept.Oct issue of
Tape Op pretty cool reading. I don't think I ever seen him talk for 6 pages
anywhere! Nice article on drum tuning too. Speaking of which,
here's a link for Prof. Sound's Drum Tuning Bible.

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News

In article <20040927192151.01302.00001395@mb-m04.aol.com>,
willstg@aol.comnospam (WillStG) wrote:

> OK, he still doesn't share his techniques, but I still found the better
> than 6 pages of interview with Rudy Van Gelder in the Sept.Oct issue of
> Tape Op pretty cool reading.

Indeed. I would have liked to have heard specifics on his setup for
recording, geez, any number of the classics (lately the Village Vanguard
box set has been in heavy rotation here). Of course, the people on the
business end of the mic were most of the sound, but beyond that I'm
really impressed with the sound of these recordings made under less than
optimal conditions ("Chasin' the Trane," for instance).

Oh, and great Monk/Miles story, too.

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/ | http://onezeromusic.com/

"Maurice Rickard" <maurice@mac.com> wrote in message
> In article <20040927192151.01302.00001395@mb-m04.aol.com>,
> willstg@aol.comnospam (WillStG) wrote:
>
> > OK, he still doesn't share his techniques, but I still found the
better
> > than 6 pages of interview with Rudy Van Gelder in the Sept.Oct issue of
> > Tape Op pretty cool reading.
>
> Indeed. I would have liked to have heard specifics on his setup for
> recording, geez, any number of the classics (lately the Village Vanguard
> box set has been in heavy rotation here). Of course, the people on the
> business end of the mic were most of the sound, but beyond that I'm
> really impressed with the sound of these recordings made under less than
> optimal conditions ("Chasin' the Trane," for instance).

Well, we'll hear him talk about those techniques about the same time the
moon falls out of the sky, I fear. I have a theory about that: I don't think
he really has any secret techniques. He's just Rudy Van Gelder, has a sound
he wants to hear, and moves the microphones to the places that get that
sound.

In other words, he doesn't have secrets; he *is* the secret.

By the way, there's also a great interview with my ace-number-one favorite
drummer in there, Dave Mattacks.

Peace,
Paul

"Paul Stamler" <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote in message > > > OK, he
still doesn't share his techniques, but I still found the
> better
> > > than 6 pages of interview with Rudy Van Gelder in the Sept.Oct issue
of
> > > Tape Op pretty cool reading.
> >
> > Indeed. I would have liked to have heard specifics on his setup for
> > recording, geez, any number of the classics (lately the Village Vanguard
> > box set has been in heavy rotation here). Of course, the people on the
> > business end of the mic were most of the sound, but beyond that I'm
> > really impressed with the sound of these recordings made under less than
> > optimal conditions ("Chasin' the Trane," for instance).
>
> Well, we'll hear him talk about those techniques about the same time the
> moon falls out of the sky, I fear. I have a theory about that: I don't
think
> he really has any secret techniques. He's just Rudy Van Gelder, has a
sound
> he wants to hear, and moves the microphones to the places that get that
> sound.
>
> In other words, he doesn't have secrets; he *is* the secret.
>
> By the way, there's also a great interview with my ace-number-one favorite
> drummer in there, Dave Mattacks.

Or to quote Mash , that's " Ace pro # 1 Joe "

> Peace,
> Paul

I know Rudy Van Gelder. And you, Will, are no Rudy Van Gelder.

Yeah, Rudy said, he would share some of his secrets with me at his funeral,
but I'm not holding my breath.

Tom

Tommy B wrote:

> Yeah, Rudy said, he would share some of his secrets with me at his funeral,
> but I'm not holding my breath.

You know what Yogi Berra said:

"You have to go to people's funerals, or else they won't come to yours"

>By the way, there's also a great interview with my ace-number-one favorite
>drummer in there, Dave Mattacks.

Mattacks kicks butt.
"I'm beginning to suspect that your problem is the gap between
what you say and what you think you have said."
-george (paraphrased)

"knud" <symphonle@aol.comblahblah> wrote in message
> >By the way, there's also a great interview with my ace-number-one
favorite
> >drummer in there, Dave Mattacks.
>
> Mattacks kicks butt.

I think Mattacks and Fairport are more of a 'stroke butt' kind of band.

jb

Yogi always says the right thing.
Played good too!
I never really liked Yoo Hoo though.
To be quite honest, just the thought of that stuff, gives me the chills and
a case of "Fat Tongue" simultaneously.

Tom

Tommy B wrote:

> Yogi always says the right thing.
> Played good too!
> I never really liked Yoo Hoo though.
> To be quite honest, just the thought of that stuff, gives me the chills and
> a case of "Fat Tongue" simultaneously.

Yeah, I would've taken Quik over Yoo Hoo.

Nowadays, my Doctor says I should drink water. Boring!

>: Don Cooper dcooper28800@comcast.net

>I know Rudy Van Gelder. And you, Will, are no Rudy Van Gelder.

When did you work with Rudy Don?

Bob Olhsson wrote:

> My challenge has been getting the magazines to send me only one copy...

The price of fame! (Donate 'em to MTSU! <g>)

--
ha