Sign in with
Your question

More Download speed than Upload speed

Last response: in Networking
October 17, 2012 5:05:41 PM

I have recently got a new fiber-optic internet connection. The day I got it I immediately went on Speedtest.net to test my connection speed and to see that everything was in order. I was happy with the Download speed, but when it came to the Upload speed I got a little bit disappointed :( 
I pay for 60/60, but I only get 60/20.
There's obviously something wrong.
Is it possible that it is my motherboard that is the bottleneck?
I have a GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard.
I have tested it on my brothers laptop, and he gets over 20 mbps Upload speed.

Speedtest.net results : http://www.speedtest.net/result/2248014952.png

Thanks in advance for any replies :) 
October 17, 2012 8:21:45 PM

It is not likely it is a hardware problem. You should contact your ISP and ask them for help troubleshooting this issue.
October 17, 2012 9:29:11 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
It is not likely it is a hardware problem. You should contact your ISP and ask them for help troubleshooting this issue.

But on my brothers laptop, he got 35mbps Upload as well as Download - I think that's because his NIC can't handle much more than that.
So I doubt my ISP is the problem...
Btw, I'm using a CAT-5E cable which I assume is copper :heink:  Shouldn't I be running some kind of super-fancy-fiber-optic-cable type thing?
My ISP told me to use a "Normal Internet Cable", but I'm just not sure...
Related resources
October 18, 2012 2:43:32 AM

Copper handles up to 1,000Mbs, so that is not an issue ;) 

Now, you are saying another PC gets a higher upload on the same LAN, with the same type of wired connection, using the same browser, at the same speed testing website, using the same reference server, within minutes of each other?

If any of the above is different then the comparison is meaningless.
October 18, 2012 1:16:31 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
Copper handles up to 1,000Mbs, so that is not an issue ;) 

Now, you are saying another PC gets a higher upload on the same LAN, with the same type of wired connection, using the same browser, at the same speed testing website, using the same reference server, within minutes of each other?

If any of the above is different then the comparison is meaningless.

Yes, another PC (my brothers) gets higher upload speeds, on the same LAN, but he is using a wireless connection.
He used the same browser, and the same website (Speedtest.net), and yes, within minutes of each other.

a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2012 4:05:13 PM

It may come down to newer hardware or better drivers or a combination of both. I know that my Intel I3 based computer seems to download and upload faster than my machine with a gigabyte EP45-UD3R board using a realtek ethernet port. The upload speed on your computer does seem to have a fairly large difference compared to your brother's laptop though.
October 19, 2012 8:28:37 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
It may come down to newer hardware or better drivers or a combination of both. I know that my Intel I3 based computer seems to download and upload faster than my machine with a gigabyte EP45-UD3R board using a realtek ethernet port. The upload speed on your computer does seem to have a fairly large difference compared to your brother's laptop though.

Yeah... It doesn't add up. His PC cost just half of what mine did, his is a laptop, and I built mine myself.
So, there's 3 big Pro's for me, and 3 Con's for him... To be honest, mine is much better at games and such, but I still think I should get more than just 20 mbps Upload :o 
!