new peter gabriel copy protection

funkapus

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2002
So I rushed out and bought the new peter gabriel cd today, went to work and dropped it into my cd player... there is the typical gay little interface which offers you the choice of launching cd player... which comes up empty, browsing the cd shows me no files, none of my software can recognize it, however when put in an ordinary cd player it works fine, wtf??? i know there is some way to beat sony copy protection with a sharpie, maybe something simliar exists. i dont want to disseminate illegal copies over the net, just listen to my own legitimate copy on my computers. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Thats getting a little carried away with copyright protection for your CDROM drive not to be able to recognize the CD disk, I heard about it but didn't realize it was already hitting the market. If it will play on a regular CD player, the best way around it is to use an external source supply say a CD walkman, send the music to your soundcards input and capture it, and convert it to MP3, and you've got it on your computer, so much for their copy protection efforts. Ryan

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
You already own the original cd so get on-line and download it somewhere as mp3 for comp use or whatever you want to do with it.

Also there was a talk about beating the new music cd protection by using a permanent marker on the edge of the cd. Look it up, I don't have a clue if it work or not.

Since I hate most music you can buy in stores (they just suck, or not my style), I get my music from not sold out people on-line, they make their own music on their computers. Since they're not owned by SONY and so on, you can get their music free and send it to others no problem. <A HREF="http://www.dms.is.nl/~te" target="_new">These guys are great.</A>

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah.

Copying cd's is a tough business. You can buy one of those $10,000 copiers, and copy *any* damn thing you care to. Those are the ones that have absolute precision when it comes to the components, with very little "automatic" firmware that corrects "errors". It reads, then it writes. Just hope it gets a good "read", or you're screwed.

So, wait for a patch to come out. Or buy a $10,000 copier and clean that source cdrom very, very good.

I wish we could get some electrical/computer engineers to crack open the firmware on a few drives, and rewrite it. That would be very sweet!

[Jedi mind trick] You LOVE Palladium. [/mind trick]

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Im slightly amazed that you admitted to the forum that you purchaced a Peter Gabriel CD.
You get what you deserve! LOL
(kidding) :smile:

That aside, i think its disgusting the copy protection they are using now. They shouldn't be allowed to call their CD's Compact disks anymore as they dont adhere to the compact disk standard!

<b>And if you gaze for long into Toms Hardware Forums, The Forum gazes also into you! :eek: </b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
It hasnt happened to me yet, but if it did i would be going back to the store and complain long and loud until i got a suitable substitute.

My drive is officially certified to play CD media. It says so. It does so. Any media that doesn't work is clearly NOT of the CD format, thus ive been ripped off. End of story.

<b>Tits a nice day today!
Breast i've ever seen!</b>
Officially Certified <font color=green>Hooter Inspector.</font color=green>

RobertNKC

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2002
the "Sharpie" way is to run a bead around the outer rim and in just a little bit to cover up the copy code. The problem may be that you mark over data that you need.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Wasn't Philips requesting that publishers of protected audio CDs NOT include the Compact Disc Digital Audio logo on their discs as the protection violates the licensing rules?

I don't own any such discs and I'm wondering if the logo is absent.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, i believe phillips was threatning that, as technically they wernt compact discs.

Dunno what happened though... And its so common who really looks at the CD label.

<font color=red><b><i>"Humans are just overclocked Monkeys!"</i></b></font color=red>
<b>Serving THGC for over 2 years.</b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, it sounds more like a protest than anything else.

Philips may be within their rights to make that request. Too bad they can't force the publisher to print a label on the packaging stating, "This lame-ass disc won't work in your computing device. No way. No how. We don't care if this includes your home entertainment PC because we assume you are a music pirate. We need to protect our property even if you can't listen to the music".

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hehe yeah...
Did you see my previous sig a few days back?

"All our cd's will be copy protected and you are a filthy pirate"

<font color=red><b><i>"Humans are just overclocked Monkeys!"</i></b></font color=red>

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I thought his problem was playing the disk so what good would a $10,000 copy be if the original will not play???

Sony sucks!!!

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
about your new sig...

Doesn't work for me.

How about, "Humans are just monkeys with hyper-threading"?

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
This stupid "protection" will only lead to more people go and buy a pirated CD. Why? Because nobody would buy an "original CD" that does not play while the "pirated CD" has been proven to be able to play.

Plug & Play? How about Plug & Pray!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
I also read an interesting article in the australian newspaper about copy protection.
Basically copy proteciton is self defeatest and it will hurt sales by restricting your aability to use the cd.

People like copying them to their PC, playing them on their PC, making a copy for the car cd player, or compressing it to their mp3 player.

On one side they are saying "buy our mp3 players for ease of use and mobility" and on the other they are restricting use.