TinusTussengas

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2002
What would be the best buy? A IBM 120GXP or the WD1200JB. Last one is way more expensive.

IBM: 7200rpm, 2 MB cache, IDE-100
WD: 7200 rpm, 8 MB Cache, IDE-100

Any ideas??

dhlucke

Polypheme
Check <A HREF="http://www.storagereview.com/" target="_new">http://www.storagereview.com/</A> and decide. I personally chose the WD1200JB. I haven't had it long enough to really decide what I think, although I like it so far, but I'm not buying from IBM for a while due to their 60gxp and 75gxp fiascos. Between the two I would pick the WD.

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""What would be the best buy? ""

IBM: 7200rpm, 2 MB cache, IDE-100

""Last one is way more expensive"", and first one is way more better.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
""Last one is way more expensive"", and first one is way more better.
Yup, I agree, except for the fact that the WD drive is faster and potentially more reliable.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

SandLizard

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
With my experience with both of them, I personally prefer the WD. Quiet, reliable, and it runs cooler. Not sure what you mean by 'way more expensive', when the price versus quality seems quite reasonable. My IBM drive, I've never had any problems with it, and it is currently my OS and program drive (the WD for media storage). I don't think you could go wrong with either, but again, in my opinion, the WD is the best choice.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
the W.D. drive.

it will probably cost a little more due to the extra cache, but extra cache gives extra performance.
Additionally IBM is no longer making drives, so the 120GXP is the end of the line. Reliability may also not be quite so good, given the past problems IBM has had with the 75gxp and 60gxp lines.

I love my 800JB, the little brother of the 1200JB. fast and quiet.

<b>"True communication is possible only between equals, because inferiors are consistently rewarded for telling their superiors pleasant lies than for telling the truth."</b>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""WD drive is faster ""

.. only in opening Office apps,.. in server (IO stuff) it is not quite that fast as IBM drives, and every body knows that ;)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well my 800JB is way faster than my 60gxp. it died. :smile:

<b>"True communication is possible only between equals, because inferiors are consistently rewarded for telling their superiors pleasant lies than for telling the truth."</b>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Heh, sorry to "hear" about that, let us know when 800JB dies too.

By the way, my GXP60 is still ticking, don't have any idea what you guys are doing with thoze poor GXPs that is coasing them to go tits up so quickly ;)

PS: WD drives are more than 1 millisecond slower that IBM ones on Read/Write, so I don't have any idea how WD could be faster?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ahhh, the good old days *reminisces fondly* :smile:

i remeber when i thought that the IBM drives were good too, i strongly supported them like you do.
Then one day it badsectored on me bigtime, killing my OS. Then again a few months later after a DFT format and complete reinstall. The third time it happened it didnt take out anything critical, but by then i had lost all faith in that drive.
I was eventually shipped a replacment after they recieved my dead unit (took them well over a month and 2 very direct emails)
I tried out this replacement, but by looking at the HDTACH results its got an absolute platterful of remapped badsectors. Besides with the 800JB and my D740X i need no further capacity. So now my 60gxp sits bagged on a shelf in my cupboard, awaiting a use.

As for what i did... i did do some overclocking, but my maxtor drive that i used for storage/backup underwent exactly the same treatment without problems, and the 800JB now occupies the same drive slot in my case without problems.

As for the slower seeks, ive got no idea how it works, but it seems like the 8Mb cache makes a world of difference, most noticably when indexing a directory with lots of small files or moving/copying/reading/archiving a bunch of em.
at least on par with the 60gxp, if not better.

plus the 800JB manages to be a little quieter than the 60gxp seeking (the d740x has loud scratchy seeks in contrast)

one of them mysteries of life.
there was a big thread about the effects/advantages of 2mb/8mb cache not too long ago.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I've seen 2 IBM 60gxp 40GB drives die. If IBM isn't making more drives (thank god), I would definitely stay away from them. It's also worth noting that the IBM drive has a 1 year warranty and the WD has a 3 year warranty.

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""Another vote for the WD."" (WD for <b>your</b> system drive)

""( I use a 120gxp for my system drive, BTW...)"" (IBM for <b>my</b> system drive)

hehe, nice advertisement ;?>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
nup. IBM sold their HDD division to Fujitsu.
The division was unprofitable.
i remember when IBM drives were king of the hill and all others were pretenders to the throne.
amazing how 2 bad product lines can kill the division so thouroughly.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""nup. IBM sold their HDD division to Fujitsu.""

<b>"<A HREF="http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2002may/gee20020605012041.htm" target="_new">NEWS</A></b>
The deal originally announced back in April has finally been set in stone, with <b>Hitachi</b> paying IBM US$2.05 million for a 70% stake in a new company which will combine the manufacturing processes of both companies' hard drive units. The deal has <b>Hitachi</b> buying numerous intellectual property rights from IBM as well as taking on full ownership within three years.<b>"</b>

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
but it begs the question... if your IBM drive dies now, who do u RMA it too?
Still <b><A HREF="http://www.storage.ibm.com/warranty/jsp/arma31.jsp?ibmer=0" target="_new"><font color=blue>IBM</A></b></font color=blue> (assumed its warranty is valid).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.