The Dreamhold: an introductory text adventure

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Usually, when I tell people I write text adventures, I get one of two
anything." (A few people say "I loved those!", but not very many.)

Text adventures are hard to get into, if you don't know what you're
doing. I admit this. You type something, the game says "I don't know
how to do that." You type something else, the game says "I don't know
how to do that either." You give up.

It's a common problem. The commands are actually very straightforward;
but if you're not used to them, you won't figure them out by blind
guessing.

So I decided to write a game that would solve that problem.

* The Dreamhold: A Tutorial Text Adventure

The Dreamhold is my interactive fiction tutorial game. It's designed
for people who have never played IF before. It introduces the common
commands and mindset of text adventures, one step at a time. There's
an extensive help system describing standard IF commands, as well as
dynamic hints which pop up whenever you seem to be stuck.

Of course, you can turn off the hints and the tutorials, and play The
Dreamhold as a real game. The puzzles are not extremely difficult, but
they should offer some challenge to both experienced players and
newcomers. (If the challenge is insufficient, there's an "expert" mode
which makes some of the puzzles harder.) There are also many optional
bits to explore beyond the main storyline.

I've tried to create a game which rewards many species of adventurer:
the inexperienced newcomer, the puzzle-hurdler, the casual tourist,
the meticulous explorer, the wild experimenter, the seeker after
nuances and implications.

To download The Dreamhold, see:

<http://eblong.com/zarf/dreamhold.html>

Or you can play it on the Web, as a Java applet. (But the Java version
doesn't allow you to save your progress.)

--Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"Andrew Plotkin" wrote: The Dreamhold: A Tutorial Text Adventure

> The Dreamhold is my interactive fiction tutorial game. It's designed
> for people who have never played IF before. It introduces the common
> commands and mindset of text adventures, one step at a time. There's
> an extensive help system describing standard IF commands, as well as
> dynamic hints which pop up whenever you seem to be stuck.

Andrew: thank you, thank you, thank you!

I've been waiting for an introductory game to "get into" IF games, and this
really hits the spot!

How perfect for beginners, like me!

Mark

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

> I've been waiting for an introductory game to "get into" IF games, and
> this
> really hits the spot!

Ya, I recall running the original Adventure, getting a prompt like "you
see a small hole in the ground", and umm that's as far as I got :)

rms

johno

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

In article <cu6sbb$r0k$1@reader2.panix.com>, erkyrath@eblong.com says...

> To download The Dreamhold, see:
>
> <http://eblong.com/zarf/dreamhold.html>

If I click on your link and then on dreamhold.z8, I get asked if I want to open or save
the downloaded file. I can start the download if I select Open, but I don't normally
use this method. If I select Save, both the download and IE6 just vanish. Any
suggestions?

--
johno

johno

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

In article <MPG.1c78881f7775d4998979f@news.individual.de>, john_o@lineone.net says...
> In article <cu6sbb$r0k$1@reader2.panix.com>, erkyrath@eblong.com says...
>
> > To download The Dreamhold, see:
> >
> > <http://eblong.com/zarf/dreamhold.html>
>
> If I click on your link and then on dreamhold.z8, I get asked if I want to open or save
> the downloaded file. I can start the download if I select Open, but I don't normally
> use this method. If I select Save, both the download and IE6 just vanish. Any
> suggestions?

False alarm; sorry. I rebooted and all was well.

--
johno

Here, Johno <john_o@lineone.net> wrote:
> In article <MPG.1c78881f7775d4998979f@news.individual.de>, john_o@lineone.net says...
> > In article <cu6sbb$r0k$1@reader2.panix.com>, erkyrath@eblong.com says...
> >
> > > To download The Dreamhold, see:
> > >
> > > <http://eblong.com/zarf/dreamhold.html>
> >
> > If I click on your link and then on dreamhold.z8, I get asked if I
> > want to open or save the downloaded file. I can start the download
> > if I select Open, but I don't normally use this method. If I
> > select Save, both the download and IE6 just vanish. Any
> > suggestions?
>
> False alarm; sorry. I rebooted and all was well.

Good.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about Windows to diagnose these
problems. When I tested the web page (on a Windows machine), I
right-clicked on the link and chose, I think, "save target". Whichever
menu option meant "download". That worked for me.

--Z

*

In article <cum27h$akj$2@reader2.panix.com>, erkyrath@eblong.com says...
> I'm afraid I don't know enough about Windows to diagnose these
> problems. When I tested the web page (on a Windows machine), I
> right-clicked on the link and chose, I think, "save target". Whichever
> menu option meant "download". That worked for me.

I have the game working now and my only problem is that I can't find a tidy exit
command. Is there one?

--
johno

Johno wrote in news:MPG.1c79eba7bdeb555c9897a1@news.individual.de:

> I have the game working now and my only problem is that I can't
> find a tidy exit command. Is there one?

Quit

johno

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

In article <Xns95FD1C963C46trumgottistbigfootco@127.0.0.1>, trumgottist@bigfoot.com
says...
> Johno wrote in news:MPG.1c79eba7bdeb555c9897a1@news.individual.de:
>
> > I have the game working now and my only problem is that I can't
> > find a tidy exit command. Is there one?
>
> Quit

I obviously don't know that word :)

Thanks

--
johno

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

So, has anyone who downloaded this spent much time playing it?

Since I intended it as an introduction for IF newcomers, I'd love to
hear from newcomers about how well it worked. Was it interesting? Did
you want to keep exploring? Did you get stuck anywhere?

There's been a lot of discussion in the text-adventure newsgroups, but
of course those people aren't newcomers. :)

I would be grateful for any comments, on the newsgroup or by email.

--Z

*

Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote:
>Usually, when I tell people I write text adventures, I get one of two
>anything." (A few people say "I loved those!", but not very many.)
>
>Text adventures are hard to get into, if you don't know what you're
>doing. I admit this. You type something, the game says "I don't know
>how to do that." You type something else, the game says "I don't know
>how to do that either." You give up.
>
>It's a common problem. The commands are actually very straightforward;
>but if you're not used to them, you won't figure them out by blind
>guessing.
>
>So I decided to write a game that would solve that problem.
>
>* The Dreamhold: A Tutorial Text Adventure
>
>The Dreamhold is my interactive fiction tutorial game. It's designed
>for people who have never played IF before. It introduces the common
>commands and mindset of text adventures, one step at a time. There's
>an extensive help system describing standard IF commands, as well as
>dynamic hints which pop up whenever you seem to be stuck.
>
>Of course, you can turn off the hints and the tutorials, and play The
>Dreamhold as a real game. The puzzles are not extremely difficult, but
>they should offer some challenge to both experienced players and
>newcomers. (If the challenge is insufficient, there's an "expert" mode
>which makes some of the puzzles harder.) There are also many optional
>bits to explore beyond the main storyline.
>
>I've tried to create a game which rewards many species of adventurer:
>the inexperienced newcomer, the puzzle-hurdler, the casual tourist,
>the meticulous explorer, the wild experimenter, the seeker after
>nuances and implications.
>
>To download The Dreamhold, see:
>
><http://eblong.com/zarf/dreamhold.html>
>
>Or you can play it on the Web, as a Java applet. (But the Java version
>doesn't allow you to save your progress.)

I'm stuck at the bit where the black stuff is blocked by the gauze film.
Do I have to go back out to where the voices are coming from to solve
it? How is the ending triggered?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

> Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote:
>>Usually, when I tell people I write text adventures, I get one of two
>>anything." (A few people say "I loved those!", but not very many.)
>>
>>Text adventures are hard to get into, if you don't know what you're
>>doing. I admit this. You type something, the game says "I don't know
>>how to do that." You type something else, the game says "I don't know
>>how to do that either." You give up.
>>
>>It's a common problem. The commands are actually very straightforward;
>>but if you're not used to them, you won't figure them out by blind
>>guessing.
>>
>>So I decided to write a game that would solve that problem.
>>
>>* The Dreamhold: A Tutorial Text Adventure
<<snip>>

Andrew, I am thoroughly enjoying Dreamhold - even managed to find a pad of
graph paper for the mapping. I had forgotten what fun text adventures were;
mini vacations for the imagination! Thanks for taking the time to create
this one.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

In article <6k2b21h7ne8gmuoaq2qe584lll60jeq7j4@4ax.com>, Bateau
<Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote:
> I'm stuck at the bit where the black stuff is blocked by the gauze film.
> Do I have to go back out to where the voices are coming from to solve
> it? How is the ending triggered?

(Some spoilers follow)

For the simplest ending, you just need to collect all the masks. If
you've reached the gauze, you should already have the mask from that
location.

There is another item you can find in that room, however, and the gauze
provides a hint on how to get it. There's another piece of gauze that
you can find elsewhere that might prove useful...

- Damien

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote:
>Usually, when I tell people I write text adventures, I get one of two
>anything." (A few people say "I loved those!", but not very many.)
>
>Text adventures are hard to get into, if you don't know what you're
>doing. I admit this. You type something, the game says "I don't know
>how to do that." You type something else, the game says "I don't know
>how to do that either." You give up.
>
>It's a common problem. The commands are actually very straightforward;
>but if you're not used to them, you won't figure them out by blind
>guessing.
>
>So I decided to write a game that would solve that problem.
>
>* The Dreamhold: A Tutorial Text Adventure

Some other things (Java version):
"Funereal" typo in one of the constellation descriptions.
Didn't know white berries were cold until I'd successfully picked them,
and it seemed to imply you already knew. The grating end of the catwalk
says the only way you can go is SW but you get there by going S then E.

Here, Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote:

> I'm stuck at the bit where the black stuff is blocked by the gauze film.
> Do I have to go back out to where the voices are coming from to solve
> it? How is the ending triggered?

Damien already commented on this. I tried to keep a clear division
between the straightforward goals (stuff you must do to reach the end)
and the more obscure things you might optionally discover. The
division is clearly not perfect :) but feedback from players is
useful. Thanks.

> Some other things (Java version):
> "Funereal" typo in one of the constellation descriptions.

Nope, that's a real word. "Funeral" can be used as an adjective but
I like "funereal".

> Didn't know white berries were cold until I'd successfully picked
> them, and it seemed to imply you already knew.

The game does keep track of whether you "know", just to customize
messages like that. Possibly you went by a message which gave that
implication -- either you misread it or I didn't write it clearly.

> The grating end of the catwalk says the only way you can go is SW
> but you get there by going S then E.

Curving paths are always tricky when you use an eight-direction
compass rose. In this case, it's a circular catwalk. (Well,
elliptical.) If you are at the south edge, you can continue around
counterclockwise by going "east" (as you say), but the game also
accepts "northeast". You can return by typing either "west" or
"southwest". I figured that accepting both angles was less confusing
than only accepting one.

--Z

*

Here, Cassie <castalides@spamyahoo.com> wrote:

> Andrew, I am thoroughly enjoying Dreamhold - even managed to find a pad of
> graph paper for the mapping. I had forgotten what fun text adventures were;
> mini vacations for the imagination! Thanks for taking the time to create
> this one.

You're welcome. Glad you're enjoying it.

--Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote:
>Here, Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote:
>>
>> I'm stuck at the bit where the black stuff is blocked by the gauze film.
>> Do I have to go back out to where the voices are coming from to solve
>> it? How is the ending triggered?
>
>Damien already commented on this. I tried to keep a clear division
>between the straightforward goals (stuff you must do to reach the end)
>and the more obscure things you might optionally discover. The
>division is clearly not perfect :) but feedback from players is
>useful. Thanks.
>
>> Some other things (Java version):
>> "Funereal" typo in one of the constellation descriptions.
>
>Nope, that's a real word. "Funeral" can be used as an adjective but
>I like "funereal".
>
>> Didn't know white berries were cold until I'd successfully picked
>> them, and it seemed to imply you already knew.
>
>The game does keep track of whether you "know", just to customize
>messages like that. Possibly you went by a message which gave that
>implication -- either you misread it or I didn't write it clearly.

Nope. I put the gloves on as soon as I got them. There was mist coming
from the bush and the area was cold but there was nothing to suggest
that the berries were that cold.

>> The grating end of the catwalk says the only way you can go is SW
>> but you get there by going S then E.
>
>Curving paths are always tricky when you use an eight-direction
>compass rose. In this case, it's a circular catwalk. (Well,
>elliptical.) If you are at the south edge, you can continue around
>counterclockwise by going "east" (as you say), but the game also
>accepts "northeast". You can return by typing either "west" or
>"southwest". I figured that accepting both angles was less confusing
>than only accepting one.

Shouldn't you be able to type "west" or "north west" if you are at the
bottom of the circle?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Here, Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote:
> Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote:
> >Here, Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote:
> >>

> >> Didn't know white berries were cold until I'd successfully picked
> >> them, and it seemed to imply you already knew.
> >
> >The game does keep track of whether you "know", just to customize
> >messages like that. Possibly you went by a message which gave that
> >implication -- either you misread it or I didn't write it clearly.
>
> Nope. I put the gloves on as soon as I got them. There was mist coming
> from the bush and the area was cold but there was nothing to suggest
> that the berries were that cold.

I'd have to see a transcript to say exactly what happened. Sorry I
can't be more specific.

> >> The grating end of the catwalk says the only way you can go is SW
> >> but you get there by going S then E.
> >
> >Curving paths are always tricky when you use an eight-direction
> >compass rose. In this case, it's a circular catwalk. (Well,
> >elliptical.) If you are at the south edge, you can continue around
> >counterclockwise by going "east" (as you say), but the game also
> >accepts "northeast". You can return by typing either "west" or
> >"southwest". I figured that accepting both angles was less confusing
> >than only accepting one.
>
> Shouldn't you be able to type "west" or "north west" if you are at the
> bottom of the circle?

Yes. From the south edge, the directions W, NW, E, NE all work. The
first two move clockwise and the second two move counterclockwise.

-Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote:
>Here, Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote:
>> Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote:

>> >The game does keep track of whether you "know", just to customize
>> >messages like that. Possibly you went by a message which gave that
>> >implication -- either you misread it or I didn't write it clearly.
>>
>> Nope. I put the gloves on as soon as I got them. There was mist coming
>> from the bush and the area was cold but there was nothing to suggest
>> that the berries were that cold.
>
>I'd have to see a transcript to say exactly what happened. Sorry I
>can't be more specific.

>> >Curving paths are always tricky when you use an eight-direction
>> >compass rose. In this case, it's a circular catwalk. (Well,
>> >elliptical.) If you are at the south edge, you can continue around
>> >counterclockwise by going "east" (as you say), but the game also
>> >accepts "northeast". You can return by typing either "west" or
>> >"southwest". I figured that accepting both angles was less confusing
>> >than only accepting one.
>>
>> Shouldn't you be able to type "west" or "north west" if you are at the
>> bottom of the circle?
>
>Yes. From the south edge, the directions W, NW, E, NE all work. The
>first two move clockwise and the second two move counterclockwise.

But it says the only exit is SW or something.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Here, Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote:
> Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote:
> >Here, Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote:
> >>
> >> Shouldn't you be able to type "west" or "north west" if you are at the
> >> bottom of the circle?
> >
> >Yes. From the south edge, the directions W, NW, E, NE all work. The
> >first two move clockwise and the second two move counterclockwise.
>
> But it says the only exit is SW or something.

You're thinking of the *end* of the catwalk, which is at the southeast
side of the circle.

At that point, there is only one exit (since it's a dead end).
"Southwest" works. "West" also works, to be consistent with the rest
of the exit geometry. But it would be very confusing if the dead end
said "You can go west and southwest from here" -- especially since
both commands follow the same path (towards the south side of the
circle).

--Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.