Creative SoundWorks MegaWorks 510D Speakers

oskool

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2001
Does anyone own a set of Creative/Cambridge MegaWorks 510D Speakers?

Are they worth the money?

Good sound?

Any other thoughts b4 I spend the wonga?

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Yeah, I do. I'm going threw some sh*t with Creative Labs over the speakers now, it's getting pretty intense, my next stop will be Better Business Bureau.

I had the speakers for about a month and they sounded great, well accept for the sub. The sub was very week when listening to on-line music, or games. I could only turn them up a little, before they would brake up, in-away, useless. Playing CDs or music already on my HDD the sub did much better.

Anyway two of my saddle light speakers started to brake up. If I turn them up they would give out, if playing games, or listening to on-line music these two speakers would brake up much quicker, to the point I'm unsatisfied with them.

I contacted the store where I bought them, but was just over my 30 day warranty. So I contacted Creative Labs and got a RMA #. I sent the speakers out and got them back in a couple of weeks with a letter saying. "The item is in like-new condition and has been thoroughly tested to be in good working order." They didn't replace them, so I wrote them again, and they called me back and said there was a communication problem. The guy I talk to told me to said them back again, that they will flip the shipping bill and that he would personally look at the speakers. Going ground now, about three weeks later he calls me back, he wants to resolve the problem and work out a solution. He said the speakers work good for him and didn't see any problem, so there was really nothing to work out, he simply wasn't going to replace them. I even offer to buy the speakers, which he said he didn't want to see me do, but he also didn't want to replace them. So I got off the phone with him, him not going to replace the speakers, and me going to buy the two individual speakers on the Creative Labs Web Sight. So I call them and it turns out that I Cannot buy them individual after all. And she ask if I contacted support, I said I did, and told her what had happen. She said she was going to call over there and leave a message, saying that I truly feel that the two speakers do indeed need to be replaced.

At the point I don't know what is going on. Tech tells me there sending them back and will not replace them, and the same day the lady said she connected them to tell them I wanted them replaced.

A few days later I get another call from Tech support. They keep telling me they have no problem with the speakers and that they tested them with CDs music and such and even turned them all the way up and the speaker did not fail them. I pretty much said they were full of it and mention the word Better Business Bureau.

It's funny how I can get the two speakers to brake up with no problem at all and they can't seem to get them to brake up. Even when I switch a bad speaker with a good one, it doesn't brake up, so it's not the channel or my setup, but is the speaker. He is going to test the speakers now playing games to see if they brake up for him. I have a feeling he is still going to say there is nothing wrong with them, and when he does I will be contacted the Better Business Bureau.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

Novakain

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It sounds like these guys obviously don't think there's something wrong with the speakers. If they were shoddy, they would have been quite happy to sell you a new set. It's quite possible that the guy doesn't know what he's talking about, so you might find it easier if you document what you've done to fault-find the speakers. Tell them what different machines/devices you've plugged the speakers into, what drivers you've updated for your sound card etc. They take you more seriously if you give them that information. Otherwise they think you're just another(l)user who doesn't know better. I had a similar situaltion arise with Hercules technical support. The tech I was dealing with swore black and blue that Windows NT has a device manager. I ended up having to send him screen shots just to show him he was wrong.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I'm not convinced they think nothing is wrong. I'm leaning more towards their lying to me. There are two speakers that obviously brake up and they say they don't hear it.

The only reason they don't sell me the speakers is because they don't sell them individually, and I sure wouldn't buy another set from them. The ball is in the court now, it's up to them to decide to replace them or not.

When talking to the guy on the phone he was no match for me, he was just trying to BS me. He knows my next step is the Better Business Bureau and he sure didn't like hearing that.

I'm pretty much pass the trouble shooting on my side, at least I hope so. But, your advice will be noted just in case, and for the future reference. Your right, you do have to let them know you know a thing or two. That's all we need is having someone that thinks we don't know anything about our boxes have us clicking all threw our system.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?