Unable to connect to router admin panel at 192.168.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vetchling

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Hi, I just got back from being gone for a couple weeks and my router stopped working. I tried to reset the router and connect to the admin screen at 192.168.1.1, but it gives a "page not found" error. My internet work with a wired connection to the router, and the computer's IP address is 66.xxx.xxx.xxx. Looking at most forums which talk about this problem it seems like most people have IP addresses starting with 192. Why does mine start with 66? Is this related to the problem of being unable to access the admin screen? This is a home network and I'm running Ubuntu and have a Linksys WRT54G router. I get the same IP address whether I connect just from the modem to the PC, or from modem to router to PC. Anyone have any ideas what I should do?

vetchling

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Tried that as well, but when I navigated to 192.168.1.1 in my browser, it gave the error that it cannot display that page because it is not connected to the Internet.

Since posting my original query, I've gone out and bought a new router and that is working fine. Maybe my old one just died.

Nasir143

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014

modernwar99

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
The 66.xxx.xxx.xxx is your external IP address. To connect to your router, you need your internal default gateway address. Run cmd with admin privileges and type "ipconfig" and hit enter. Find the "default gateway" address, it should be something like 192.168.x.x, go into a browser and type on that IP address and click enter. If that IP happens to be 192.168.1.1, and the page won't load, make sure in your network adapter settings that obtain IP address and DNS server are set to automatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.