what are the Top 25 funniest adv games?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

hi,
i'm relatively new to the adv genre and i love comedy. so i was
wondering what the funniest games were so i could pick them up when i
come across them. thanks

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:14:39 -0500
Art Weingardner <artg@softhome.net> wrote:

> hi,
> i'm relatively new to the adv genre and i love comedy. so i was
> wondering what the funniest games were so i could pick them up when i
> come across them. thanks

Top Funniest?

First that spring to mind are Day of the Tentacle and Sam & max hit the road. Then there's Discworld 2, Toonstruck, Stupid Invaders, Grim Fandango (probably the most sophisticated humour of the lot), the Monkey Island series, Zork: Grand Inquisitor, and Space Quest 5. There are numerous other "humourous" games, but the ones I've listed are by far the most hilarious (Coincidentally, also the best to play). Anything I've missed?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Thomas N McEwan wrote in
news:20050211150841.2f6ef9ed.captaininsanity@ONAYAMSPAY.uk2.net ...

Could you please set up your newsreader to wrap your posts at 75
characters or less. That would make make them easier to read (and is
also common Usenet netiquette).

Thanks,

Rikard

ls

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Op Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:14:39 -0500 schreef Art Weingardner
<artg@softhome.net>:

>hi,
>i'm relatively new to the adv genre and i love comedy. so i was
>wondering what the funniest games were so i could pick them up when i
>come across them. thanks

Twenty-five.... I'll do my best. :)

Zork Grand Inquisitor
Grim Fandango
Discworld 1, 2
Day of the Tentacle
Neverhood
Feeble Files
Monkey Island 1, 2, 3, 4
UFOs (aka Gnap)
Duckman
Touche: The Fifth Musketeer
The Gene Machine
Chewy: Escape from F5
Stupid Invaders
Bud Tucker in Double Trouble
Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
Sam & Max
Drascula: The Empire Strikes Back
Flight of the Amazon Queen
GAG
Orion Burger
The Quivering
Rent A Hero
Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths
Toonstruck
Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth
3 Skulls of the Toltecs
Gilbert Goodmate and the Mushroom of Phungoria

Most are oldies. Some are expensive and/or hard to find.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

On 11 Feb 2005 17:59:22 GMT
Rikard Peterson <trumgottist@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> Thomas N McEwan wrote in
> news:20050211150841.2f6ef9ed.captaininsanity@ONAYAMSPAY.uk2.net ...
>
> Could you please set up your newsreader to wrap your posts at 75
> characters or less. That would make make them easier to read (and is
> also common Usenet netiquette).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rikard

Sorry. Should be fixed now.

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:43:04 +0100, LS <here!@> wrote:

>Op Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:14:39 -0500 schreef Art Weingardner
><artg@softhome.net>:
>
>>hi,
>>i'm relatively new to the adv genre and i love comedy. so i was
>>wondering what the funniest games were so i could pick them up when i
>>come across them. thanks
>
>Twenty-five.... I'll do my best. :)
>
>Zork Grand Inquisitor
>Grim Fandango
>Discworld 1, 2
>Day of the Tentacle
>Neverhood
>Feeble Files
>Monkey Island 1, 2, 3, 4
>UFOs (aka Gnap)
>Duckman
>Touche: The Fifth Musketeer
>The Gene Machine
>Chewy: Escape from F5
>Stupid Invaders
>Bud Tucker in Double Trouble
>Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
>Sam & Max
>Drascula: The Empire Strikes Back
>Flight of the Amazon Queen
>GAG
>Orion Burger
>The Quivering
>Rent A Hero
>Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths
>Toonstruck
>Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth
>3 Skulls of the Toltecs
>Gilbert Goodmate and the Mushroom of Phungoria
>
>Most are oldies. Some are expensive and/or hard to find.

What about Zak McCracken and the Alien Mindbenders?

One of the first LucasArts adventure games.

Alan

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Art Weingardner <artg@softhome.net> wrote:
> hi,
> i'm relatively new to the adv genre and i love comedy. so i was
> wondering what the funniest games were so i could pick them up when i
> come across them. thanks

I'll add to everyone else's list:
Under a Killing Moon
The Pandora Directive

Colin B. wrote:
> Art Weingardner <artg@softhome.net> wrote:
>
>>hi,
>>i'm relatively new to the adv genre and i love comedy. so i was
>>wondering what the funniest games were so i could pick them up when i
>>come across them. thanks
>

> I'll add to everyone else's list:
> Under a Killing Moon
> The Pandora Directive

I'll second the above two games which are my favorites and add
Torens Passage
Leisure Suit Larry - Love for Sale
Full Throttle

> On 11 Feb 2005 17:59:22 GMT
> Rikard Peterson <trumgottist@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
>> Could you please set up your newsreader to wrap your posts at 75
>> characters or less. That would make make them easier to read (and
>> is also common Usenet netiquette).
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rikard
>
> Sorry. Should be fixed now.

Thanks. :)

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

"Colin B." <cbigam@somewhereelse.nucleus.com> wrote in message
> Art Weingardner <artg@softhome.net> wrote:
> > hi,
> > i'm relatively new to the adv genre and i love comedy. so i was
> > wondering what the funniest games were so i could pick them up when i
> > come across them. thanks
>
> I'll add to everyone else's list:
> Under a Killing Moon
> The Pandora Directive

You could try "Innocent Until Caught" a old Psygnosis (anyone remember them)
release, bit of an adult theme. being Psygnosis probably difficult to find
now though

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:59:34 GMT
Alan Fraser <alan.fraser@boltblue.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:43:04 +0100, LS <here!@> wrote:
>
> >Op Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:14:39 -0500 schreef Art Weingardner
> ><artg@softhome.net>:
> >
> >>hi,
> >>i'm relatively new to the adv genre and i love comedy. so i was
> >>wondering what the funniest games were so i could pick them up when i
> >>come across them. thanks
> >
> >Twenty-five.... I'll do my best. :)
> >
> >Zork Grand Inquisitor
> >Grim Fandango
> >Discworld 1, 2
> >Day of the Tentacle
> >Neverhood
> >Feeble Files
> >Monkey Island 1, 2, 3, 4
> >UFOs (aka Gnap)
> >Duckman
> >Touche: The Fifth Musketeer
> >The Gene Machine
> >Chewy: Escape from F5
> >Stupid Invaders
> >Bud Tucker in Double Trouble
> >Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
> >Sam & Max
> >Drascula: The Empire Strikes Back
> >Flight of the Amazon Queen
> >GAG
> >Orion Burger
> >The Quivering
> >Rent A Hero
> >Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths
> >Toonstruck
> >Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth
> >3 Skulls of the Toltecs
> >Gilbert Goodmate and the Mushroom of Phungoria
> >
> >Most are oldies. Some are expensive and/or hard to find.
>
> What about Zak McCracken and the Alien Mindbenders?
>
> One of the first LucasArts adventure games.
>
> Alan

I've played it, and while I appreciate and genuinely enjoy many early games
(text adventures, sierra AGI games, etc), I simply hate Zak McKraken. It's
not particularly funny, you can get the game into an unwinnable state far
too easily, and most of the time you've got no idea what you're supposed to
be doing or what's going on. Everyone says this game and Maniac Mansion
gave birth to the classic era of LucasArts adventures, but I disagree -
Maniac Mansion was pretty good, though it also had its flaws, but Zak
McKraken is below average at best. It was a technological marvel that it
could be run even on a C64, and the interface certainly was revolutionary,
but it just isn't a good game.

In my humble opinion, the scumm system and gui was only half of the
breakthrough that made LucasArts legendary - the other was the conversation
tree, which I think they also invented, and the rediscovery of the
"examine" verb, totally abandoned by graphical games since breaking away
from the parser interface. Maniac Mansion and Zak McKraken have to rely
mostly on physical humour to entertain, as the characters remain almost
silent throughout, and the games have varying success at this.
Conversations are brief and little more than pairs of sentences most of the
time.

Moriarty's Loom reintroduced the ability to examine an interesting object
and get the player character's own thoughts and opinions on what he saw
(traditionally delivered rather dryly), and much longer, better written and
more frequent conversations, also facial expression changes in closeup.
This
gave the game and its characters vastly greater depth and made it real fun
to play, even if you weren't making much progress with the puzzles. Not
that surprising when you consider Moriarty had a very strong literary
background, and wrote some of the real gems of the text era as well.
Though almost entirely forgotten (there's a poignant reference near the end
of CMI that might bring a tear to the eye of anyone who played Loom, and
the infamous seagull cameos, but that's about it), Loom was the true
turning point.

The humourous games after Loom all used conversation trees as well as
retaining the "examine" verb, and gave the player the chance to actually
take an active role in witty conversations, choosing how to respond to
situations and picking the responses that they thought were funniest, and
watching the resulting hilarity. "OoOOoo, the Future! I'm from the Future,
look oooout!" - Hoagie, in Day of the Tentacle.

Perhaps the most obvious act of recognition of the importance of this type
of humour is in Space Quest 4, the first talkie in the series - almost
everyone agrees that, while the puzzles are average, and the story as
cheesy as any other, the game truly shines because of its humourous
dialogue. Two new, entirely useless verbs, "smell" and "taste", were added
to the interface just to give the narrator, voiced perfectly by Gary Owens,
more sarcastic things to say! Pity the game was so mercilessly fond of
killing you off, breaking even Sierra's previous records for
designer-sadism, but even then you're at least rewarded with a quip about
how you died.

Thomas N McEwan wrote:
> In my humble opinion, the scumm system and gui was only half of the
> breakthrough that made LucasArts legendary - the other was the conversation
> tree, which I think they also invented, and the rediscovery of the
> "examine" verb, totally abandoned by graphical games since breaking away
> from the parser interface.
[...]
> Moriarty's Loom reintroduced the ability to examine an interesting object
> and get the player character's own thoughts and opinions on what he saw

What non-parser graphic adventures pre-dated Loom? Didn't Sierra's first
(I think) was King's Quest 5 also have an examine icon? It came out at
about the same time as Loom (both 1990), so they would have been in
development at the same time.
--
David Tanguay http://www.sentex.ca/~datanguayh/
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada [43.24N 80.29W]

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:19:41 GMT
"Jon" <jon.mullnospam@tesco.net> wrote:

> "Colin B." <cbigam@somewhereelse.nucleus.com> wrote in message
> > Art Weingardner <artg@softhome.net> wrote:
> > > hi,
> > > i'm relatively new to the adv genre and i love comedy. so i was
> > > wondering what the funniest games were so i could pick them up when i
> > > come across them. thanks
> >
> > I'll add to everyone else's list:
> > Under a Killing Moon
> > The Pandora Directive
>
> You could try "Innocent Until Caught" a old Psygnosis (anyone remember
> them) release, bit of an adult theme. being Psygnosis probably difficult
> to find now though

Psygnosis also published Discworld 1 and 2. "Innocent Until Caught" had an
even rarer sequel, "Guilty", that was more serious and much less funny, but
still worth playing. The same developers of those two games, Divide By
Zero, also made The Gene Machine, mentioned elsewhere.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:59:59 +0000, Thomas N McEwan
<captaininsanity@ONAYAMSPAY.uk2.net> wrote:

>I've played it, and while I appreciate and genuinely enjoy many early games
>(text adventures, sierra AGI games, etc), I simply hate Zak McKraken. It's
>not particularly funny, you can get the game into an unwinnable state far
>too easily, and most of the time you've got no idea what you're supposed to
>be doing or what's going on. Everyone says this game and Maniac Mansion
>gave birth to the classic era of LucasArts adventures, but I disagree -
>Maniac Mansion was pretty good, though it also had its flaws, but Zak
>McKraken is below average at best. It was a technological marvel that it
>could be run even on a C64, and the interface certainly was revolutionary,
>but it just isn't a good game.
>
>In my humble opinion, the scumm system and gui was only half of the
>breakthrough that made LucasArts legendary - the other was the conversation
>tree, which I think they also invented, and the rediscovery of the
>"examine" verb, totally abandoned by graphical games since breaking away
>from the parser interface. Maniac Mansion and Zak McKraken have to rely
>mostly on physical humour to entertain, as the characters remain almost
>silent throughout, and the games have varying success at this.
>Conversations are brief and little more than pairs of sentences most of the
>time.

You may well be right, but I have a particular fondness for Zak
McCracken since it was the first graphical adventure game I played,
completed without access to walkthroughs, and its features were novel
at the time. I particularly liked the Elvis joke, much more poignant
in 1988 than it is now.

You can even play Maniac Mansion at one point in the game. The
copyright system with the codes on the brown card was exteremly
annoying though.

Alan

Stu

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

what about the ICOM stuff (uninvited, deja vu, shadowgate etc), they
had an examine icon. deja vu 1 + uninvited predated loom by 3 years at
1987.

"Alan Fraser" <alan.fraser@boltblue.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:43:04 +0100, LS <here!@> wrote:
>
> >Op Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:14:39 -0500 schreef Art Weingardner
> ><artg@softhome.net>:
> >
> >>hi,
> >>i'm relatively new to the adv genre and i love comedy. so i was
> >>wondering what the funniest games were so i could pick them up when i
> >>come across them. thanks
> >
> >Twenty-five.... I'll do my best. :)
> >
> >Zork Grand Inquisitor
> >Grim Fandango
> >Discworld 1, 2
> >Day of the Tentacle
> >Neverhood
> >Feeble Files
> >Monkey Island 1, 2, 3, 4
> >UFOs (aka Gnap)
> >Duckman
> >Touche: The Fifth Musketeer
> >The Gene Machine
> >Chewy: Escape from F5
> >Stupid Invaders
> >Bud Tucker in Double Trouble
> >Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
> >Sam & Max
> >Drascula: The Empire Strikes Back
> >Flight of the Amazon Queen
> >GAG
> >Orion Burger
> >The Quivering
> >Rent A Hero
> >Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths
> >Toonstruck
> >Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth
> >3 Skulls of the Toltecs
> >Gilbert Goodmate and the Mushroom of Phungoria
> >
> >Most are oldies. Some are expensive and/or hard to find.
>
> What about Zak McCracken and the Alien Mindbenders?
>
> One of the first LucasArts adventure games.

Eric the Unready and the Spellcasting series.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"Revliskci" <nospam@spaminator.com> wrote in news:W29Pd.769$1S4.69462
@news.xtra.co.nz:

> Eric the Unready and the Spellcasting series.

I'll add my vote for Eric the Unready -- only game my wife and I had to
quit playing until we quit laughing too hard. Some of the best humour was
how the game designers seemed to have read our minds -- our attempts to
solve a puzzle sequence were met with ever more hilarious responses and/or
roadblocks.

--
Murray Peterson
Email: murray.spamtrap1@shaw.ca

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"Revliskci" <nospam@spaminator.com> schreef in bericht

> "Alan Fraser" <alan.fraser@boltblue.com> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:43:04 +0100, LS <here!@> wrote:

> > >Twenty-five.... I'll do my best. :)
> > >
> > >Zork Grand Inquisitor
> > >Grim Fandango
> > >Discworld 1, 2
> > >Day of the Tentacle
> > >Neverhood
> > >Feeble Files
> > >Monkey Island 1, 2, 3, 4
> > >UFOs (aka Gnap)
> > >Duckman
> > >Touche: The Fifth Musketeer
> > >The Gene Machine
> > >Chewy: Escape from F5
> > >Stupid Invaders
> > >Bud Tucker in Double Trouble
> > >Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
> > >Sam & Max
> > >Drascula: The Empire Strikes Back
> > >Flight of the Amazon Queen
> > >GAG
> > >Orion Burger
> > >The Quivering
> > >Rent A Hero
> > >Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths
> > >Toonstruck
> > >Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth
> > >3 Skulls of the Toltecs
> > >Gilbert Goodmate and the Mushroom of Phungoria
> > >
> > >Most are oldies. Some are expensive and/or hard to find.
> >
> > What about Zak McCracken and the Alien Mindbenders?
> >
> > One of the first LucasArts adventure games.
> >
> Eric the Unready and the Spellcasting series.

I thought of "The legend of Kyrandia (1, 2 & 3) to add, but i can't recall:
were they funny or not?

E-Cie wrote:
> I thought of "The legend of Kyrandia (1, 2 & 3) to add, but i can't recall:
> were they funny or not?

They were trying to be funny. I don't think they succeeded well enough to
make a top-25 list, but they're worthy of consideration.

Some others I havevn't seen mentioned yet:
Leisure Suit Larry series
Space Quest series
Freddy Pharcas, Frontier Pharmacist
Simon the Sorcerer series
Out of Order
Fable [1996 game, not the recent one]
the rest of the Zork series

....And a whole bunch of text adventures, but you're better off asking for
them in rec.games.int-fiction.
--
David Tanguay http://www.sentex.ca/~datanguayh/
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada [43.24N 80.29W]

Access

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2001

"Art Weingardner" <artg@softhome.net> wrote in message
> hi,
> i'm relatively new to the adv genre and i love comedy. so i was
> wondering what the funniest games were so i could pick them up when i
> come across them. thanks

Don't forget :
Runaway - a road adventure

Mary

"Access" <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM_@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Art Weingardner" <artg@softhome.net> wrote in message
> > hi,
> > i'm relatively new to the adv genre and i love comedy. so i was
> > wondering what the funniest games were so i could pick them up when i
> > come across them. thanks
>
> Don't forget :
> Runaway - a road adventure

Did anybody mention Goblins series, especially Goblins 2 and 3. They were
pretty funny.

Mary

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:40:47 -0500, "Mary" <no@nowhere.com> wrote:

>"Access" <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM_@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Art Weingardner" <artg@softhome.net> wrote in message
>> > hi,
>> > i'm relatively new to the adv genre and i love comedy. so i was
>> > wondering what the funniest games were so i could pick them up when i
>> > come across them. thanks
>>
>> Don't forget :
>> Runaway - a road adventure
>
>Did anybody mention Goblins series, especially Goblins 2 and 3. They were
>pretty funny.

In case it hasn't already been mentioned = Starship Titanic, the
Douglas Adams game.

Alan

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 07:44:44 GMT
Alan Fraser <alan.fraser@boltblue.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:40:47 -0500, "Mary" <no@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> >"Access" <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM_@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Art Weingardner" <artg@softhome.net> wrote in message
> >i > > come across them. thanks
> >>
> >> Don't forget :
> >> Runaway - a road adventure
> >
> >Did anybody mention Goblins series, especially Goblins 2 and 3. They
> >were pretty funny.
>
> In case it hasn't already been mentioned = Starship Titanic, the
> Douglas Adams game.
>
> Alan

Starship Titanic is a dreadful game. Non-existent plot, the robots are
just irritating all the time (slightly amusing at the start, but tiresome
after about half an hour and for ever afterwards), and puzzles that are
just daft, and make no sense. Add to that the unskippable, desperately
dull travelling sequences, exploration of countless rooms that are all
exactly identical and a shoddy interface and you've got a game that's
frankly unplayable. The only people I'd recommend it to are die-hard
Douglas Adams fans who obsess to the point that they must own everything he
made, even if it is awful, and perhaps similar fans of Monty Python, as the
voice artists include (uncredited) John Cleese, as the bomb, and I think
Terry Jones as the parrot.

Tom

"Thomas N McEwan" wrote:

> Starship Titanic is a dreadful game...<snip>

The elevator(s). Gah!

Mark