Sign in with
Your question

Vista vs. 7

Last response: in Windows 7
February 12, 2010 2:32:07 PM

I patiently waited for Windows 7 to come out...till then had to use Vista x64 since i have 6gb of ram in order to make them all work...And when i got it...installed 7, all drivers were newest, bios flashed..but for some reason 7 works much slower...For example if i take a look at minimizing just some folder...the fading animation is somehow twitching...I lost at least 15fps in WOW...It feels like system is working only with one 3rd of hardware...So im still on Vista and it sux...Hardware used > i7 920, asus MBO, asus GTX295, corsair 6gb ram, corsair 750W PSU...And it all has good cooling so i think components should not be reason why the difference is so big...And i never have 1 zillion unnecessary programs installed so number of processes working are minimal...Any advice would be nice.../salute from Croatia from Quotidian

More about : vista

February 12, 2010 4:27:24 PM

Win7 is generally the same or faster than Vista. Any differences is usually driver related or there is a program/service in the background that's interacting differently with Win7.

Choppiness in UI response is usually HD activity or video card problems... usually.
m
l
February 12, 2010 4:44:21 PM

I really dont know whats causing that...

When i install any system i like to keep things on minimum...so only thing that goes up are drivers and minimal software like winamp and bsplayer, office, acrobat reader, winrar...thats all cus i like to have things simple...I even tend to turn off indexing on disks and system restore, set up virtual memory and other little things that makes all even more "naked"...

Then i come to Dalaran and from Vista's 35fps with full details and large amount of people online it changes to 11fps and hard twitching while turning camera around my character...
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 12, 2010 5:22:27 PM

That really sounds like a driver issue then.

Did you do an in-place upgrade or a clean install? I really suggest clean install over in-place upgrade because there are so many stale files that could be left over that can really hamper a Windows 7 installation.
m
l
February 12, 2010 5:43:13 PM

It's always a clean install...Made a 40gb partition and that one is dedicated for system only...

And for drivers...last time i did it i used newest version of drivers...GPU drivers i mean here...i had newest for rest of hardware as well but i don't think those would affect performance that much...

And for GPU...don't know...cus...windows performance was that way as soon as i installed driver so everything in GPU settings was on default...could not be my fault...and even if i did for example maxed out everything in settings that shouldn't affect windows performance considering how powerful is hardware...

One of options i have in mind is BIOS...is it possible i have something..."locked" there and 7 has problems with that...Or this way...is it possible P6T has some problems with 7 when BIOS settings are on default? I searched on forums about relation between 7 and P6T BIOS...found nothing so far...:s
m
l
February 13, 2010 2:14:49 PM

I think i might have source of problem...i found that windows 7 doesn't see half of my GPU memory...some hardware monitor tools see it same in 7...only 896MB of memory...

For example SIW cant even detect second core...Any suggestions for that?
m
l
!