Sign in with
Your question

Desktop, Laptop or both: Crucial SSD 128GB SATA M4

Last response: in Windows 7
May 7, 2012 9:35:14 PM

I am thinking about buying a "Crucial 128GB M4 2.5" Solid State Drive (SSD) for a SATA M4A785TD-V EVO system. The problem is I was reading the blog on the operations of the SSD and all they talk about is it being installed in a Lap-Top. Am I reading this wrong? Some one straighten me out.

Thanks for your time.
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2012 9:53:05 PM

I'm using a Crucial M4 in my desktop (HTPC) if that answers your question! :) 

And it works flawlessly, no issues :D 

Edit: SSD's both work great in laptops and desktops. The reason you might be asking is because HDD's are normally 3.5" whereas SSD's normally come in 2.5" size. Don't let the smaller size fool you - laptops and desktops (modern ones) both use the exact same SATA and SATA POWER cables.
m
l
May 7, 2012 10:07:09 PM

I have a desk-top with an Asus M4A785TD-V EVO motherboard. The CPU is an AMD Phenom 2, X4 810 chip. I have a Thermaltake TR2 430W power supply, a LG multi DVD Rewriter 24X, 1 Seagate Barracuda 500GB Sata 7200rpm Hard-drive and a 320 hard-drive, which I forgot the make and name of, they all work. I want to try out a SSD in the unit, but know nothing about them so I was reading some information from Amazon.com's blog to try and figure out it's compatability. Some of the talk was about lap-tops and saving battery life and the likes, the wrong page or something?
Need some help to understand all of this. I for got, this is a self build unit.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2012 10:16:11 PM

Yes, all SATA hard drive connections are identical regardless of drive size. You can use your SSD in your current computer configuration without any trouble.

I have used 2.5" laptop hard drives (non-SSD) in desktops with adapters to fit 3.5" bays plenty of times. When you're IT for a low-budget local government organization you use what you have.

On another note, I have used the same Intel X-25M 80GB SSD initially in a laptop, then in a desktop and again in another laptop, all without complication.
m
l
May 8, 2012 7:14:09 AM

As said above you can use the M4 in a laptop or desktop. SSDs were originally geared more towards the laptop market, and the M4's installation instructions are geared towards laptop use. However, they work fine in a desktop, but you probably will have to get a 3.5 to 2.5 inch bay adapter to mount the SSD into your desktop's case.
m
l
!