chedJuer

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
I would like to know what it is going to affect if I put sd-ram PC133 in the m/b that only support sd-ram PC100. Will it damage the ram or m/b?

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
No problem. RAM is backwards compatible. (please read the FAQ question Nº 5)

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It should work peachy-keen. I have PC133 running at PC66 on a Celeron 500 box. Heh heh heh.

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
You and your Celery 500 and me with my Celery 333. <laughing on>

<laughing off>
I have 256MB of PC133 on that machine. It has been running that way for over a year now. I Haven't had any problems with it.

<b>"If I melt dry ice in a bathtub, can I take a bath without getting wet?" - Steven Wright</b>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You and your Celery 500 and me with my Celery 333. <laughing on>

<laughing off>
I have 256MB of PC133 on that machine. It has been running that way for over a year now. I Haven't had any problems with it.
Yeah. Who says you need to replace old machines? Mine is still alive and kicking too. I both laugh and cringe every time I crack open the case of that poor abused Celery 500 box though.

**shakes head sadly**

I mean what deranged mind would bend the power supply supports slightly just to upgrade the power supply from 120W to 200W? (It'd have been higher if not for the evil incredibly-small form factor involved... As it was the 200W wouldn't fit until a little 'percussive maintanance' was performed. Heh heh heh.)

What kind of lunatic would rip out a 32MB PC66 DIMM and a 64MB PC100 DIMM just to drop in two sticks of 128MB low-density PC133 for a mere Celeron 500 just because his wife complained about how slow the new 'The Sims' expansion was?

What freakish dementation would inspire someone to rip out the ancient (and slow) CD burner from his dead Pentium 133 and fill the sole empty 5.25" bay on the micro ATX case? (After all, with the burner read speed so slow, hell if the 40x reader already in there was about to get stripped out to make room.)

What kind of madman would duct-tape a 4-slot 3.5" hard drive bay into the front/side of a micro-atx case so that you can no longer put anything in the ISA slots just so that he could rip the 8GB hard drive out of his dead Pentium 133 to supplement the 4GB drive already installed?

What evil mind would disable the onboard AGP graphics 'accelerator' (and I use that term loosely) in order to run a Savage4 PCI video card? (Hey, who said AGP was <i>always</i> faster than PCI? The Half-Life gods demanded a better frame rate, dammit!)

And what kind of monster would cut away the supportive plastic from the bottom section of the front panel and then drill a bunch of holes into it to mount a front-intake 60mm fan (which happened to be conveniently easy to remove from the no longer used 120 watt power supply...)

I mean what kind of a <b>wacko</b> would do all this to a single little Celeron 500 box instead of just buying something new and exciting?

Oh yeah, <b>me</b>! ;) <evil laughter on>

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Ha!

<evil laughter off>

I almost feel bad looking to replace the old thing. So many memories... So many modifications that totally killed my warantee ten times over...

And so many sharp edges. Grrr...

Next time though, I'll be smarter. I'll make sure to get a full-sized case again (maybe a four-foot high tower in memory of my dead Pentium 133) a good power supply, and a motherboard that can easily support better than what is originally in it.

And a case <b>without</b> sharp edges!

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Silver,

I know someone just like you…

He also demands to use his Voodoo2 PCI daughter card in conjunction with his 4MB onboard AGP because using Snarks or that crowbar any other way would not be acceptable. The same guy who has doesn't use a 60mm fan to cool the heatsink on his Celly 333 but instead likes to keep the side panel off just so he can use a conventional 200mm house fan. That same nutcase also has ripped out his 32MB stick of PC66 just so he could put in his 256MB stick of Samsung PC133. He truly loves that machine.

However as for the rough edges problem he has never had that problem in that old Gateway case. However has found that exact same problem in both of his two ALR Q-SMP dual Pentium 90 machine that he tried making go faster by using P120s instead but later found out that the signal chips are on the motherboard. So he is now faced with putting the 120s and the original 90s back where they respectively came from. Did I mention that that same fool has five 120mm Delta Electronic fans and the 92mm fan (located inside the 450W PSU) cooling that monstrosity? He must love the dull hum coming from it. Luckily for him the cases weigh 60-80lbs so they can't take flight inside his home. He also likes to turn on the machines with their 256MB of interleaved 70ns EDO.

He has more stories like that...but I don't have the time to spare to tell them.

He's such a Psycho! Don't you think? And as he always answers his assistant Pinky's every night...

Q: "What are we going to do tomorrow night?"

A: "Same thing we do every night,... Plan to take over the world with old antiquated machines!"

Too bad that psycho is me…

<Dr. Evil Laugh on>

Muhhahhhahha!!! Muhahahhahhha!!!

<Dr. Evil Laugh Off>

So Silver, you see, you and I must be brothers separated at birth and now reunited.

<b>"If I melt dry ice in a bathtub, can I take a bath without getting wet?" - Steven Wright</b>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
He also demands to use his Voodoo2 PCI daughter card in conjunction with his 4MB onboard AGP because using Snarks or that crowbar any other way would not be acceptable.
Sadly, for a while I was actually running my onboard AGP and my Savage4 PCI simultaniously. I had a spare 14" monitor laying about and for some reason found it entertaining to have a tiny monitor mirroring the exact same thing as my other monitor. **shrug** Windows let me do it...

And actually, the Savage4 was <i>meant</i> to be a Banshee, however after an RMA that took a month from the first dead Banshee that they sent, well, I figured it was close enough. By the time I'd have gotten what I'd ordered, I might have been an old man and paid far more than double the original price just for shipping and handling. But we almost had the same video...

The same guy who has doesn't use a 60mm fan to cool the heatsink on his Celly 333 but instead likes to keep the side panel off just so he can use a conventional 200mm house fan.
I was doing that for a while until I got the new power supply and thus had a fan I could rip out of the old one to use. ;) It was a Honeywell Super Turbo high-performance fan from K-Mart. Heh heh.

I had almost used a fan from an old hair drier until the whole power supply thing came up. I was only maybe a week away from epoxying a short PVC pipe onto the front of the case to house it. I had just wanted to find the ramping volume switch from an old set of broken PC headphones to use for adjusting the speed (and thus volume) of the fan first. Thinking of which, I never <i>did</i> find that switch...

However as for the rough edges problem he has never had that problem in that old Gateway case. However has found that exact same problem in both of his two ALR Q-SMP dual Pentium 90 machine that he tried making go faster by using P120s instead but later found out that the signal chips are on the motherboard. So he is now faced with putting the 120s and the original 90s back where they respectively came from.
My old Pentium 133 case was great. No sharp edges. Incredibly solid construction. Heavy as hell though... I'd have moved my Celeron into that case had it not been an AT case. I might be nuts, but it's a lot of work measuring holes to drill and cutting out the back so that I can plug in all of the external cables. And that thing is thick steel! Heh heh. I miss that case though. I used to rest my mouse pad on it. It was almost exactly the same height as my desk. :)

Shame to hear about the Pentium problems though. I didn't know that. I guess I'll have to double-check any new motherboards ... if I ever find any for cheap. It'd be nice having a DOS machine back up and running. It seems a shame to be wasting a perfectly good Sound Blaster AWE32 ISA card because I have no PC to put it into. Did you ever play Earth Siege 1 or Master of Magic? It's a shame they just don't run on Windows well (if at all).

He also likes to turn on the machines with their 256MB of interleaved 70ns EDO.
I'm jealous. I'd have loved to have 256MB of EDO for my Pentium 133. As it was, it was great having 128MB. I swear, just by dedicating 96MB of RAM in Quake1, I could get my 133 to outperform most people's 200s. :) Of course, having that on-board cache helped a lot. Some people didn't realise just how useful it was...

So Silver, you see, you and I must be brothers separated at birth and now reunited.
Heh heh. Must be! I can't imagine there are that many freaks in this world. ;)

Say, do you use an old Mac II as a footrest while using your PC? I swear, it was the best two bucks I ever spent! Perfect height and large enough that I can stretch out and still use it. :) Other than RoboWar, it's about the only thing I've ever found a Mac good for. ;)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It wouldn't hurt a thing, memory is rated in minimum cycle time, there is no maximum cycle time. You might have to make sure the density is not too high though, because most SDRAM chipsets only support 16MB per chip, that would be 256MB for 1 16-chip module. But even using too high a density wouldn't damage anything, for most boards is simply results in the memory being detected at a smaller size.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I had almost used a fan from an old hair drier until the whole power supply thing came up. I was only maybe a week away from epoxying a short PVC pipe onto the front of the case to house it. I had just wanted to find the ramping volume switch from an old set of broken PC headphones to use for adjusting the speed (and thus volume) of the fan first. Thinking of which, I never did find that switch...

Too funny... Sounds like my SGI Indigo 5K project. I want to reuse the PSU inside that purple case and putting a micro ATC board inside. I have heard of others doing it but I just don't have the time for it right now.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bum_jcrules/SGI-Project.html" target="_new">SGI Project Pictures</A>

My old Pentium 133 case was great. No sharp edges. Incredibly solid construction. Heavy as hell though... I'd have moved my Celeron into that case had it not been an AT case. I might be nuts, but it's a lot of work measuring holes to drill and cutting out the back so that I can plug in all of the external cables. And that thing is thick steel! Heh heh. I miss that case though. I used to rest my mouse pad on it. It was almost exactly the same height as my desk. :)

These things are beasts... In fact that is what the machine names are... Black Beast and Black Beast 2

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bum_jcrules/ALR-Case-Project.html" target="_new">ALR Project Pictures</A>

Shame to hear about the Pentium problems though. I didn't know that. I guess I'll have to double-check any new motherboards ... if I ever find any for cheap. It'd be nice having a DOS machine back up and running. It seems a shame to be wasting a perfectly good Sound Blaster AWE32 ISA card because I have no PC to put it into. Did you ever play Earth Siege 1 or Master of Magic? It's a shame they just don't run on Windows well (if at all).

Tell me what kind of MB you are looking for and I might send you one if I have it... just give me the shipping.

I'm jealous. I'd have loved to have 256MB of EDO for my Pentium 133. As it was, it was great having 128MB. I swear, just by dedicating 96MB of RAM in Quake1, I could get my 133 to outperform most people's 200s. :) Of course, having that on-board cache helped a lot. Some people didn't realise just how useful it was...

Same deal as above... I have a bunch of EDO... just tell me what you need and I might be able to support your <b>"Older PC habit</b>.<b>"</b>

Say, do you use an old Mac II as a footrest while using your PC? I swear, it was the best two bucks I ever spent! Perfect height and large enough that I can stretch out and still use it. :) Other than RoboWar, it's about the only thing I've ever found a Mac good for. ;)

No... that is what my toolbox is for. My buddy just gave his MAC away. He used to watch cable TV on it. It has the remote fo it too. Now my other buddy has it.

Dinski

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
Yeah.... But you guys just can't run against a friend of mine (a Bulgarian from Romania) who has a working (!!!) "Pravets-82" (the Bulgarian APPLE-II clone). He has 700-800 diskettes with games, word processors, fonts, etc. The guy wrote his master research and printed it using a matrix printer Robotron (a very ugly chest made in the ex East Germany). The same guy now also has an XP 2200+ machine, but he still uses his 8-bit PC. Yeah... INVADERS is a great game....

<font color=orange>ÃÎËßÌ ÇÀËÚÊ ËÀÏÍÈ, ÃÎËßÌÀ ÙÀÍÃÀ ÂÄÈÃÍÈ!</font color=orange>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I still have a working Commodore 64, with casette tape drive, dot matrix printer, and Atari joystick. :)

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I had a C64 and a VIC20 in my parents basement but my father sold them in a garage sale. Donkey Cong was great on the VIC20. He sold the Intellavison too. I was bummed when he told me.[sniff**-sniff**]

<font color=red><b>Come to the <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new">THG Gathering/LAN party</A>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Don't you hate it when parents do that? I miss my Pong system. :(

I wonder how small you could make the circuitry for a Pong system today...

Maybe I should get around to writing Bounce3D. (Bounce has been my repeatedly re-written Pong clone for the last ten years or so.) I know OpenGL well enough to do it by now. :)

I never had an Intellavision though. :( With you included, I now know a total of three people who actually had one. They were fun however, especially with that voice cart. Heh heh.

I also miss my massive collection of space Legos.

**sigh**

Oh well. Thinking of nostalgia, maybe I'll see if I can dig up a copy of the original Wolf3D tonight and kill stuff. I wonder if they ever released the source code for that...

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>

Dinski

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
Well, if you adapt DOOM III for calculator or for mobile phone - boy, you will make millions!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well, if you adapt DOOM III for calculator or for mobile phone - boy, you will make millions!
No kidding! Those things have crap for processors and graphics.

Wolf3D or Spear of Destiny ... maybe, but it'd have to be on a pretty expensive (and thus powerful) platform, since mobile phones and calculators just aren't optimized for that kind of thing. On a GBA, sure, on a graphing calc? It'd be harder.

Doom I or II, highly improbable, even with the best of optimizations. Maybe a GBA or PDA could do it.

Doom III on a graphic calc or mobile phone? I'd put it up there with about as likely as controlled time travel in the next two years. Heh heh. :)

If it could be done though, someone would either be darn rich for it or else they'd be using one heck of a huge mobile phone... The PDA from hell?

Dinski

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
Hmmmmmmmmmm...
I'll offer Bill Gates to develop "Abacus XP" - for ball-frames.
Have you ever tried to run DOS games on P IV???