How do I set up Raid on a GA-Z68XP-UD3 mother board

hmdot

Honorable
May 7, 2012
I just bought a SSD Cruical drive and have 3 other standard drives in this build but I want to set it up in Raid. System Infor:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HMDOT-PC
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model Z68XP-UD3
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F10, 3/20/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name hmdot-PC\hmdot
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 13.4 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.1 GB
Available Virtual Memory 13.4 GB
Page File Space 256 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

If someone could help I would be grateful: hmdot

"I want to set it up in Raid"

Please be more specific. Which drives do you want to set up in RAID, and what RAID level? Or are you going to use the SSD to cache the hard drives? By the way, do not RAID an SSD with an HDD. You will lose the benefits of each.

Short answer is: Boot to the BIOS, set the disk controllers to RAID mode, reboot and watch for prompts. There will be a prompt like "press ctl/a to configure RAID." Press whatever it says. At this point, you will be put into a menu that will allow you to build the RAID set. EDIT: Here it is. See page 87 of http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z68xp-ud3-%28issd%29_e.pdf

But a few warnings are in order. Building a RAID set will erase any data on the drives you use to build the set. If the controllers are currently in IDE mode, your computer will not boot after changing them to RAID mode unless you do a registry tweak first: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61869-ahci-enable-windows-7-vista.html

----

PS - my personal advice, unasked-for, is that RAID should only be used in rare cases, or for the fun of it. If you prefer I will keep my mouth shut on this. If you want advice, let me know what kind of RAID you intend to build and what benefit it will give you.