Solution to wifi authentication problem

twhite09

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
I'm getting the authentication problem with my nexus7 and my netgear router wpn824n. what can I do to fix this?

fferree1

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
The ultimate solution to this problem is make the password visible as you print it. For some reason it does not print exactly as entered. When the number or letter is not correct erase and re-enter.

EngineerBrad

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
My solution was a bit deeper than most of the normally suggested fixes... I have a newer router (Netgear R7000) running newer firmware (DD_WRT) which allows detailed control of the radios on the antennas. So as it turns out (per Wi-Fi Spec) that the newer N channel antenna doesn't support the older WPA authentication... and I had previously configured mixed mode WPA/WPA2. Setting the router to WPA2 only resolved my random authentication error issue. Which also proves a bug in the android software running in my tablet was attempting to use the older WPA encryption on the newer N channel antenna. I have no idea if the factory standard firmware for the R7000 (or your router for that matter) comply with this corner case in the Wi-Fi specification, but I suspect not. If you have a newer router that supports N channel then you might give a try using just WPA2.