Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to Hang Mic's from Ceiling?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
September 29, 2004 12:54:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I have worked out a good mic placement (on stands) for our grand
piano. To free-up floor space I would like to hang the mic's from the
ceiling. Since the head need to face the instrument (not down) what
is the best way to do this?
-Related Question-
Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any benefit/harm of trying to
find a new placement in which the mic's point downward? I guess the
lid would be a big one.
~Paul

More about : hang mic ceiling

September 29, 2004 8:08:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <e1850e8c.0409281954.13c94a46@posting.google.com>,
pgruodis@yahoo.com (Paul) wrote:

> I have worked out a good mic placement (on stands) for our grand
> piano. To free-up floor space I would like to hang the mic's from the
> ceiling. Since the head need to face the instrument (not down) what
> is the best way to do this?


they sell wire hangers that can point a mic where you want it
look at the stuff used over church choirs
or fashion one out of coat hanger
George

> -Related Question-
> Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any benefit/harm of trying to
> find a new placement in which the mic's point downward? I guess the
> lid would be a big one.
> ~Paul

i instal downward faceing PZM(crowns) in confrence rooms and doctors
offices
George
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 8:08:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I work with two different grand pianos at my concert hall, a 7' and 9'. In
the 7' I just tape a Crown PZM 30G-PB on the inside of the lid generally in
the center. On the 9' I do the same with the PZM, but I place it a little
further away from the keyboard. Then I take a Sony ECM 55B and hang it from
the lid around a foot or so away from the keyboard. (Because of space
restrictions, you can only dangle it around 2" or so.) I just tuck the
cable in crevices as it makes it's way out of the piano and you're set. Out
of curiosity, I just ordered some Audio Technica PRO 35-X mics to see how
those stand up inside a piano. I think that they might work better for
capturing the sound. Anyway, that's my two cents.
-Luther in ND


"George" <g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:g.p.gleason-E90DC9.00084929092004@netnews.worldnet.att.net...
> In article <e1850e8c.0409281954.13c94a46@posting.google.com>,
> pgruodis@yahoo.com (Paul) wrote:
>
> > I have worked out a good mic placement (on stands) for our grand
> > piano. To free-up floor space I would like to hang the mic's from the
> > ceiling. Since the head need to face the instrument (not down) what
> > is the best way to do this?
>
>
> they sell wire hangers that can point a mic where you want it
> look at the stuff used over church choirs
> or fashion one out of coat hanger
> George
>
> > -Related Question-
> > Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any benefit/harm of trying to
> > find a new placement in which the mic's point downward? I guess the
> > lid would be a big one.
> > ~Paul
>
> i instal downward faceing PZM(crowns) in confrence rooms and doctors
> offices
> George
Related resources
September 29, 2004 8:08:52 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I just ordered some AT Pro 35x's and I am amazed at how well they sound on
my drum kit. I wanted to try condensers to get some good attack on my toms.
Very natural even sound almost rich..with said attack...I love 'em. Plus I
get rid of all those mic stands. Very very happy with them. I bet they sound
good on piano too.
They were on sale at Musician's Fiend for 80 bucks, so I couldn't pass them
up and im glad I didn't.


Doug




"Luther Bell" <freakoftheweek0000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:10lkeijd5v8fuc9@corp.supernews.com...
> I work with two different grand pianos at my concert hall, a 7' and 9'.
In
> the 7' I just tape a Crown PZM 30G-PB on the inside of the lid generally
in
> the center. On the 9' I do the same with the PZM, but I place it a little
> further away from the keyboard. Then I take a Sony ECM 55B and hang it
from
> the lid around a foot or so away from the keyboard. (Because of space
> restrictions, you can only dangle it around 2" or so.) I just tuck the
> cable in crevices as it makes it's way out of the piano and you're set.
Out
> of curiosity, I just ordered some Audio Technica PRO 35-X mics to see how
> those stand up inside a piano. I think that they might work better for
> capturing the sound. Anyway, that's my two cents.
> -Luther in ND
>
>
> "George" <g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> news:g.p.gleason-E90DC9.00084929092004@netnews.worldnet.att.net...
> > In article <e1850e8c.0409281954.13c94a46@posting.google.com>,
> > pgruodis@yahoo.com (Paul) wrote:
> >
> > > I have worked out a good mic placement (on stands) for our grand
> > > piano. To free-up floor space I would like to hang the mic's from the
> > > ceiling. Since the head need to face the instrument (not down) what
> > > is the best way to do this?
> >
> >
> > they sell wire hangers that can point a mic where you want it
> > look at the stuff used over church choirs
> > or fashion one out of coat hanger
> > George
> >
> > > -Related Question-
> > > Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any benefit/harm of trying to
> > > find a new placement in which the mic's point downward? I guess the
> > > lid would be a big one.
> > > ~Paul
> >
> > i instal downward faceing PZM(crowns) in confrence rooms and doctors
> > offices
> > George
>
>
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 1:29:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Paul <pgruodis@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I have worked out a good mic placement (on stands) for our grand
>piano. To free-up floor space I would like to hang the mic's from the
>ceiling. Since the head need to face the instrument (not down) what
>is the best way to do this?

What is the ceiling? Is there a lighting bar or a catwalk you can get
to? Are you allowed to screw or drill into beams or does this have to be
a temporary install?

>Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any benefit/harm of trying to
>find a new placement in which the mic's point downward? I guess the
>lid would be a big one.

Absolutely you should try that, if you're using cardioids anyway. You
may wish to remove the lid entirely for recording purposes depending on
the piano.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
September 29, 2004 2:52:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Scott,
The ceiling is vaulted with beams running 8' overhead (another 5' of
space above beams to the ceilings)
Yes, the installation would be permanent and am not opposed to
drilling or screwing
I would like to use my existing mic's - two MXL 603's
>
> What is the ceiling? Is there a lighting bar or a catwalk you can get
> to? Are you allowed to screw or drill into beams or does this have to be
> a temporary install?
September 29, 2004 3:07:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <BKr6d.120442$Np2.92457@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
"Snowdog" <drisp@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I just ordered some AT Pro 35x's and I am amazed at how well they sound on
> my drum kit. I wanted to try condensers to get some good attack on my toms.
> Very natural even sound almost rich..with said attack...I love 'em. Plus I
> get rid of all those mic stands. Very very happy with them. I bet they sound
> good on piano too.
> They were on sale at Musician's Fiend for 80 bucks, so I couldn't pass them
> up and im glad I didn't.
>
>
>
I have used(in live sound) several ways of micing drums
by far the best drum mic system has been the audix D-VISE
when your closemicing
if it is festival I go the other route and only use two drum mics
kick and one OH
this also reduce the forest of mic stand, as well as speeding up stage
changes by a good 10 minutes
George
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 5:04:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <e1850e8c.0409281954.13c94a46@posting.google.com> pgruodis@yahoo.com writes:

> I have worked out a good mic placement (on stands) for our grand
> piano. To free-up floor space I would like to hang the mic's from the
> ceiling. Since the head need to face the instrument (not down) what
> is the best way to do this?

Are you looking for something permanent, or something that can go
wherever the piano happens to be? If this your piano in your studio
and it stays in one place (presumably you've found the best place to
record it) you could get some mic-stand-threaded flanges to attach to
the ceiling and construct a couple of "upside down" mic stands
attached to them. Use standard mic stand parts (it's probably cheaper
to buy stands and take them apart than try to buy the individual tubes
and clutches). This would give you a fair amount of flexibility in
positioning the mics.

It wouild be a good idea to screw a couple of 2x4s to the ceiling
joists (conventional ceiling) so you have a solid place to attach the
flanges just where you want them. You might even install flanges
in alternate positions where you're likely to put the piano if it moves
around. And you can unscrew the shafts from the flanges and stash
them in the closet when you move the piano out of the way.

Of course you'd have to leave the lid off the piano, desirable at
some times, not others.

> Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any benefit/harm of trying to
> find a new placement in which the mic's point downward? I guess the
> lid would be a big one.

It doesn't matter (much) what direction you point omni mics. Tried
that?




--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 6:25:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Paul <pgruodis@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Scott,
>The ceiling is vaulted with beams running 8' overhead (another 5' of
>space above beams to the ceilings)
>Yes, the installation would be permanent and am not opposed to
>drilling or screwing
>I would like to use my existing mic's - two MXL 603's

Okay, so you don't have an enormous budget for hanging stuff.

Those mikes are light enough that you can just put an eyebolt into the
ceiling, hang some light steel cable off of it, and use one of the microphone
hanging mounts on the bottom. I think Shure makes some cheapie hanging mounts
still, which aren't as nice as the Schoeps one or the Wes Dooley ones, but
which are okay. Your problem becomes what to do with the mike cables. I'd
run the lines up parallel to the hanging cables and plug them into permanently
installed jacks in the ceiling, but that means having to get boxes installed
in the ceiling for jacks.

Grainger is a good source for very light aircraft cable and clamps.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
September 29, 2004 10:28:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <cjeumo$3c0$1@panix2.panix.com>,
kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> Paul <pgruodis@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Scott,
> >The ceiling is vaulted with beams running 8' overhead (another 5' of
> >space above beams to the ceilings)
> >Yes, the installation would be permanent and am not opposed to
> >drilling or screwing
> >I would like to use my existing mic's - two MXL 603's
>
> Okay, so you don't have an enormous budget for hanging stuff.
>
> Those mikes are light enough that you can just put an eyebolt into the
> ceiling, hang some light steel cable off of it, and use one of the microphone
> hanging mounts on the bottom. I think Shure makes some cheapie hanging mounts
> still, which aren't as nice as the Schoeps one or the Wes Dooley ones, but
> which are okay. Your problem becomes what to do with the mike cables. I'd
> run the lines up parallel to the hanging cables and plug them into permanently
> installed jacks in the ceiling, but that means having to get boxes installed
> in the ceiling for jacks.
>
> Grainger is a good source for very light aircraft cable and clamps.
> --scott

for the size(1/16 is even overkill) and lenght(under 20 feet) of AC he
needs I would suggest home despot
George
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 10:28:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

George <g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>>
>> Grainger is a good source for very light aircraft cable and clamps.
>
>for the size(1/16 is even overkill) and lenght(under 20 feet) of AC he
>needs I would suggest home despot

Problem is finding small enough cable. I like the 24ga stuff myself.
Although come to think of it, monofilament fishing line would do the job
nicely although you may need to make a Y with two lines separated by a foot
or so on the ceiling and the mike at the bottom, in order to eliminate
twisting. And fishing line is definitely a Home Depot item.
--scott


--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 11:26:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Paul wrote:

> I have worked out a good mic placement (on stands) for our grand
> piano. To free-up floor space I would like to hang the mic's from the
> ceiling. Since the head need to face the instrument (not down) what
> is the best way to do this?
> -Related Question-
> Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any benefit/harm of trying to
> find a new placement in which the mic's point downward? I guess the
> lid would be a big one.
> ~Paul


I've hung mics from the ceiling and found I didn't like the LF noise the
ceiling (a huge diaphram) sent down the cables they were hanging by.
Yours is vaulted with beams, so all I'm saying is to watch out for that,
maybe provide some mechanical decoupling as well.
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 3:20:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I went to Radio Shack and bought a bunch of table mic stands. I then drilled
two holes in the base of each one and mounted them stategicaly about the
cealings of my studios. Then I acquired various length boom arms, including
some of the nice K & M's which when extended reach almost to the floor. Then I
put eye-hooks all over the cealing. In using the aforementioned, I can conduct
a session without a single cable anywhere on the floor. You can't believe how
much more pleasant it is to work in such an environment.
!