How to Hang Mic's from Ceiling?

I have worked out a good mic placement (on stands) for our grand
piano. To free-up floor space I would like to hang the mic's from the
ceiling. Since the head need to face the instrument (not down) what
is the best way to do this?
-Related Question-
Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any benefit/harm of trying to
find a new placement in which the mic's point downward? I guess the
lid would be a big one.
~Paul
12 answers Last reply
More about hang ceiling

    In article <e1850e8c.0409281954.13c94a46@posting.google.com>,
    pgruodis@yahoo.com (Paul) wrote:

    > I have worked out a good mic placement (on stands) for our grand
    > piano. To free-up floor space I would like to hang the mic's from the
    > ceiling. Since the head need to face the instrument (not down) what
    > is the best way to do this?

    they sell wire hangers that can point a mic where you want it
    look at the stuff used over church choirs
    or fashion one out of coat hanger
    George

    > -Related Question-
    > Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any benefit/harm of trying to
    > find a new placement in which the mic's point downward? I guess the
    > lid would be a big one.
    > ~Paul

    i instal downward faceing PZM(crowns) in confrence rooms and doctors
    offices
    George

    I work with two different grand pianos at my concert hall, a 7' and 9'. In
    the 7' I just tape a Crown PZM 30G-PB on the inside of the lid generally in
    the center. On the 9' I do the same with the PZM, but I place it a little
    further away from the keyboard. Then I take a Sony ECM 55B and hang it from
    the lid around a foot or so away from the keyboard. (Because of space
    restrictions, you can only dangle it around 2" or so.) I just tuck the
    cable in crevices as it makes it's way out of the piano and you're set. Out
    of curiosity, I just ordered some Audio Technica PRO 35-X mics to see how
    those stand up inside a piano. I think that they might work better for
    capturing the sound. Anyway, that's my two cents.
    -Luther in ND

    "George" <g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > In article <e1850e8c.0409281954.13c94a46@posting.google.com>,
    > pgruodis@yahoo.com (Paul) wrote:
    >
    > > I have worked out a good mic placement (on stands) for our grand
    > > piano. To free-up floor space I would like to hang the mic's from the
    > > ceiling. Since the head need to face the instrument (not down) what
    > > is the best way to do this?
    >

    > they sell wire hangers that can point a mic where you want it
    > look at the stuff used over church choirs
    > or fashion one out of coat hanger
    > George
    >
    > > -Related Question-
    > > Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any benefit/harm of trying to
    > > find a new placement in which the mic's point downward? I guess the
    > > lid would be a big one.
    > > ~Paul
    >
    > i instal downward faceing PZM(crowns) in confrence rooms and doctors
    > offices
    > George

    I just ordered some AT Pro 35x's and I am amazed at how well they sound on
    my drum kit. I wanted to try condensers to get some good attack on my toms.
    Very natural even sound almost rich..with said attack...I love 'em. Plus I
    get rid of all those mic stands. Very very happy with them. I bet they sound
    good on piano too.
    They were on sale at Musician's Fiend for 80 bucks, so I couldn't pass them
    up and im glad I didn't.

    Doug

    Paul <pgruodis@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >I have worked out a good mic placement (on stands) for our grand
    >piano. To free-up floor space I would like to hang the mic's from the
    >ceiling. Since the head need to face the instrument (not down) what
    >is the best way to do this?

    What is the ceiling? Is there a lighting bar or a catwalk you can get
    to? Are you allowed to screw or drill into beams or does this have to be
    a temporary install?

    >Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any benefit/harm of trying to
    >find a new placement in which the mic's point downward? I guess the
    >lid would be a big one.

    Absolutely you should try that, if you're using cardioids anyway. You
    may wish to remove the lid entirely for recording purposes depending on
    the piano.
    --scott

    Scott,
    The ceiling is vaulted with beams running 8' overhead (another 5' of
    space above beams to the ceilings)
    Yes, the installation would be permanent and am not opposed to
    drilling or screwing
    I would like to use my existing mic's - two MXL 603's

    In article <BKr6d.120442$Np2.92457@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
    "Snowdog" <drisp@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > I just ordered some AT Pro 35x's and I am amazed at how well they sound on
    > my drum kit. I wanted to try condensers to get some good attack on my toms.
    > Very natural even sound almost rich..with said attack...I love 'em. Plus I
    > get rid of all those mic stands. Very very happy with them. I bet they sound
    > good on piano too.
    > They were on sale at Musician's Fiend for 80 bucks, so I couldn't pass them
    > up and im glad I didn't.

    I have used(in live sound) several ways of micing drums
    by far the best drum mic system has been the audix D-VISE
    when your closemicing
    if it is festival I go the other route and only use two drum mics
    kick and one OH
    this also reduce the forest of mic stand, as well as speeding up stage
    changes by a good 10 minutes
    George

    In article <e1850e8c.0409281954.13c94a46@posting.google.com> pgruodis@yahoo.com writes:

    > I have worked out a good mic placement (on stands) for our grand
    > piano. To free-up floor space I would like to hang the mic's from the
    > ceiling. Since the head need to face the instrument (not down) what
    > is the best way to do this?

    Are you looking for something permanent, or something that can go
    wherever the piano happens to be? If this your piano in your studio
    and it stays in one place (presumably you've found the best place to
    record it) you could get some mic-stand-threaded flanges to attach to
    the ceiling and construct a couple of "upside down" mic stands
    attached to them. Use standard mic stand parts (it's probably cheaper
    to buy stands and take them apart than try to buy the individual tubes
    and clutches). This would give you a fair amount of flexibility in
    positioning the mics.

    It wouild be a good idea to screw a couple of 2x4s to the ceiling
    joists (conventional ceiling) so you have a solid place to attach the
    flanges just where you want them. You might even install flanges
    in alternate positions where you're likely to put the piano if it moves
    around. And you can unscrew the shafts from the flanges and stash
    them in the closet when you move the piano out of the way.

    Of course you'd have to leave the lid off the piano, desirable at
    some times, not others.

    > Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any benefit/harm of trying to
    > find a new placement in which the mic's point downward? I guess the
    > lid would be a big one.

    It doesn't matter (much) what direction you point omni mics. Tried
    that?

    Paul <pgruodis@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >Scott,
    >The ceiling is vaulted with beams running 8' overhead (another 5' of
    >space above beams to the ceilings)
    >Yes, the installation would be permanent and am not opposed to
    >drilling or screwing
    >I would like to use my existing mic's - two MXL 603's

    Okay, so you don't have an enormous budget for hanging stuff.

    Those mikes are light enough that you can just put an eyebolt into the
    ceiling, hang some light steel cable off of it, and use one of the microphone
    hanging mounts on the bottom. I think Shure makes some cheapie hanging mounts
    still, which aren't as nice as the Schoeps one or the Wes Dooley ones, but
    which are okay. Your problem becomes what to do with the mike cables. I'd
    run the lines up parallel to the hanging cables and plug them into permanently
    installed jacks in the ceiling, but that means having to get boxes installed
    in the ceiling for jacks.

    Grainger is a good source for very light aircraft cable and clamps.
    --scott

    In article <cjeumo$3c0$1@panix2.panix.com>,
    kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

    > Paul <pgruodis@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > >Scott,
    > >The ceiling is vaulted with beams running 8' overhead (another 5' of
    > >space above beams to the ceilings)
    > >Yes, the installation would be permanent and am not opposed to
    > >drilling or screwing
    > >I would like to use my existing mic's - two MXL 603's
    >
    > Okay, so you don't have an enormous budget for hanging stuff.
    >
    > Those mikes are light enough that you can just put an eyebolt into the
    > ceiling, hang some light steel cable off of it, and use one of the microphone
    > hanging mounts on the bottom. I think Shure makes some cheapie hanging mounts
    > still, which aren't as nice as the Schoeps one or the Wes Dooley ones, but
    > which are okay. Your problem becomes what to do with the mike cables. I'd
    > run the lines up parallel to the hanging cables and plug them into permanently
    > installed jacks in the ceiling, but that means having to get boxes installed
    > in the ceiling for jacks.
    >
    > Grainger is a good source for very light aircraft cable and clamps.
    > --scott

    for the size(1/16 is even overkill) and lenght(under 20 feet) of AC he
    needs I would suggest home despot
    George

    George <g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    > kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
    >>
    >> Grainger is a good source for very light aircraft cable and clamps.
    >
    >for the size(1/16 is even overkill) and lenght(under 20 feet) of AC he
    >needs I would suggest home despot

    Problem is finding small enough cable. I like the 24ga stuff myself.
    Although come to think of it, monofilament fishing line would do the job
    nicely although you may need to make a Y with two lines separated by a foot
    or so on the ceiling and the mike at the bottom, in order to eliminate
    twisting. And fishing line is definitely a Home Depot item.
    --scott

    Paul wrote:

    > I have worked out a good mic placement (on stands) for our grand
    > piano. To free-up floor space I would like to hang the mic's from the
    > ceiling. Since the head need to face the instrument (not down) what
    > is the best way to do this?
    > -Related Question-
    > Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any benefit/harm of trying to
    > find a new placement in which the mic's point downward? I guess the
    > lid would be a big one.
    > ~Paul

    I've hung mics from the ceiling and found I didn't like the LF noise the
    ceiling (a huge diaphram) sent down the cables they were hanging by.
    Yours is vaulted with beams, so all I'm saying is to watch out for that,
    maybe provide some mechanical decoupling as well.

    I went to Radio Shack and bought a bunch of table mic stands. I then drilled
    two holes in the base of each one and mounted them stategicaly about the
    cealings of my studios. Then I acquired various length boom arms, including
    some of the nice K & M's which when extended reach almost to the floor. Then I
    put eye-hooks all over the cealing. In using the aforementioned, I can conduct
    a session without a single cable anywhere on the floor. You can't believe how
    much more pleasant it is to work in such an environment.

Pro Audio Audio