Which engine is better - Torque or 3D Game Studio

Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.graphics.api.opengl (More info?)

A team of eight people have assembled to create the most successful game in
2006 (Ego's rule) and are not looking to reinvent the wheel and therefore
have chosen to use an existing engine. Need to understand what is the best
engine that has the following features:

* Multiplayer lobby - Should include chat functionality
* Should support minimal resolution of 800x600 and ideally 1024x768
* Users should be able to save their game play for the future
* Should support LiveUpdate functionality whenever the user plays on the
Internet
* Need support for various weather elements: clouds, lightning, thunder,
rain, wind, fog
* Engine should be highly secure and not allow for exploits
* Lighting effects should support flickering
* Water effects should include bubbles, streams, waves and splashes
* Need strong support for shadows and reflections
* Transparency is important for fire, glass, fog and smoke
* Should support Windows, Linux and Mac
27 answers Last reply
More about which engine torque game studio
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.graphics.api.opengl (More info?)

    "Cindi Jenkins" <cindi@chiltown.com> wrote in message
    >A team of eight people have assembled to create the most successful game in
    > 2006 (Ego's rule) and are not looking to reinvent the wheel and therefore
    > have chosen to use an existing engine. Need to understand what is the best
    > engine that has the following features:
    >
    > * Multiplayer lobby - Should include chat functionality
    > * Should support minimal resolution of 800x600 and ideally 1024x768
    > * Users should be able to save their game play for the future
    > * Should support LiveUpdate functionality whenever the user plays on the
    > Internet
    > * Need support for various weather elements: clouds, lightning, thunder,
    > rain, wind, fog
    > * Engine should be highly secure and not allow for exploits
    > * Lighting effects should support flickering
    > * Water effects should include bubbles, streams, waves and splashes
    > * Need strong support for shadows and reflections
    > * Transparency is important for fire, glass, fog and smoke
    > * Should support Windows, Linux and Mac

    If you like to support small companies putting there whole heart and life on
    the line to fight for what they believe in, then the Torque engine is the
    one to go with.

    I know the Creator personally, he has done the world a big favor. Show him
    some support if you can.

    My personal oppinion is, that you ought to write your own.

    It's your decision to make, dont leave it up to anybody else.

    Dan
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.graphics.api.opengl (More info?)

    By the way. There are people out there trying to destroy the mans
    reputation by offering copies of the torque engine wich possess malicious
    code. Make sure you get the Source files from him directly.

    Dan
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Cindi Jenkins wrote:
    > A team of eight people have assembled to create the most
    > successful game in 2006
    >
    > * Should support minimal resolution of 800x600 and ideally 1024x768

    Inability to figure out simple stuff like this
    doesn't bode well...

    --
    <\___/>
    / O O \

    "Cindi Jenkins" <cindi@chiltown.com> wrote:
    >A team of eight people have assembled to create the most successful game in
    >2006 (Ego's rule) and are not looking to reinvent the wheel and therefore
    >have chosen to use an existing engine. Need to understand what is the best
    >engine that has the following features:
    >
    >* Multiplayer lobby - Should include chat functionality
    >* Should support minimal resolution of 800x600 and ideally 1024x768
    >* Users should be able to save their game play for the future
    >* Should support LiveUpdate functionality whenever the user plays on the
    >Internet
    >* Need support for various weather elements: clouds, lightning, thunder,
    >rain, wind, fog
    >* Engine should be highly secure and not allow for exploits
    >* Lighting effects should support flickering
    >* Water effects should include bubbles, streams, waves and splashes
    >* Need strong support for shadows and reflections
    >* Transparency is important for fire, glass, fog and smoke
    >* Should support Windows, Linux and Mac

    Your inability to find out the simplest information proves your project
    will fail.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    In article <phu521hgps7nbluo2gq8j51ih2do5vt1nm@4ax.com>,
    Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote:

    > Your inability to find out the simplest information proves your project
    > will fail.

    Actually, it only strongly suggests. The proof is a bit more involved ;)

    --
    Please take off your shoes before arriving at my in-box.
    I will not, no matter how "good" the deal, patronise any business which sends

    fungus wrote:
    > Cindi Jenkins wrote:
    >
    >> A team of eight people have assembled to create the most
    >> successful game in 2006
    >> * Should support minimal resolution of 800x600 and ideally 1024x768
    >

    > Inability to figure out simple stuff like this
    > doesn't bode well...

    Heh. A touch insensitive, but a rather accurate answer nonetheless.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.graphics.api.opengl (More info?)

    :P
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Miss Elaine Eos <Misc@*your-shoes*PlayNaked.com> wrote:
    >In article <phu521hgps7nbluo2gq8j51ih2do5vt1nm@4ax.com>,
    > Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote:
    >
    >> Your inability to find out the simplest information proves your project
    >> will fail.
    >
    >Actually, it only strongly suggests. The proof is a bit more involved ;)

    It's so pitifully obvious that this person is supposed to be the
    programming expert on this project too.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.graphics.api.opengl (More info?)

    "Cindi Jenkins" <cindi@chiltown.com> wrote in message
    > Need to understand what is the best
    > engine that has the following features:

    Are you looking for a gasoline or diesel engine? How much power do you need?
    How many cylinders?
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    In article <l3uVd.27016$hd6.381@bignews1.bellsouth.net>,
    "Scott Hedrick" <dinehnm@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > "Cindi Jenkins" <cindi@chiltown.com> wrote in message
    > > Need to understand what is the best
    > > engine that has the following features:
    >
    > Are you looking for a gasoline or diesel engine? How much power do you need?
    > How many cylinders?

    Consider bio-diesel as an environmentally friendly alternative to
    traditional fossil fuels...

    --
    Please take off your shoes before arriving at my in-box.
    I will not, no matter how "good" the deal, patronise any business which sends
    unsolicited commercial e-mail or that advertises in discussion newsgroups.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.graphics.api.opengl (More info?)

    Our team was leaning towards Torque but wanted to make sure it was the
    right decision.

    Right now, we have a ton of developers, artists and musicians. We only
    need to find a great story writer that hopefully lives in the
    Springfield Mass area.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.graphics.api.opengl (More info?)

    The only reason I asked is due to a post I saw here:
    http://www.truevision3d.com/phpBB2/post-54089.html

    I would hate to go down a path only to have to fix bugs myself. I
    either want to pay money and get full support or pay nothing and
    contribute to an open source project...
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "Cindi" <cindi@chiltown.com> wrote in message
    > Was hoping that I
    > might have gotten a more useful response like "have you heard about
    > engine X" instead of an idiot such as yourself posting useless
    > comments.

    So you posted your *own* useless comments instead, and exposed your *own*
    brand of idiocy, eh?
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.graphics.api.opengl (More info?)

    > Our team was leaning towards Torque but wanted to make sure it was the
    > right decision.

    Both gasoline and diesel engines can be designed with lots of torque.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Cindi wrote:

    > Has absolutely nothing to do with figuring it out. Was hoping that I
    > might have gotten a more useful response like "have you heard about
    > engine X" instead of an idiot such as yourself posting useless
    > comments.

    You are lucky you didn't ask a hard technical questions, like "how important
    is graceful shutdown on a console?"

    Game programmers are such eloquent posters. When we don't know an answer, we
    flame.

    Anyway, here's some concept art for your next project:
    _____
    ,' ,'
    ,' ,'
    \ \
    \ /^\ \
    \ \
    \ \
    <\___/> \ \
    / O O \ \ \
    \_____/ FTB. \/'

    --
    Phlip
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > Game programmers are such eloquent posters. When we don't know an
    > answer, we flame.

    We Philip?

    WTH:)
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.graphics.api.opengl (More info?)

    DHOLLINGSWORTH2 wrote:

    > By the way. There are people out there trying to destroy the
    > mans reputation by offering copies of the torque engine wich
    > possess malicious code. Make sure you get the Source files from
    > him directly.

    Him being Jeff, Mark, Tim, Rick, or are they simply the Holy
    Quarnary???

    -tom!

    --
    There's really no reason to send a copy of your
    followup to my email address, so please don't.

    OK, it is my thought that one should be able to at least evaluate the
    code for quality before making such a large scale commitment to it. He
    seems against this as a thought.
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.graphics.api.opengl (More info?)

    To get the cross platform support that you want, I suggest looking at
    the Ogre engine.

    http://www.ogre3d.org/

    A friend of mine (Walaber) is using this in conjunction with the Newton
    physics engine and seems to be very pleased with the results so far.

    http://www.physicsengine.com/

    It doesn't hurt that the cost of entry for these two is very low.
    Given that this may be your first big project. I would seriously
    consider make a game mod using an existing engine. This will give you
    a change to cut your teeth working as a team, learning your media
    tools, and sticking to a design and working within a set of
    limitations. If your team can survivie that, you'll have a much better
    shot at a whole game project and your quality will be much better than
    freshman effort.
    --
    TAZ
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.graphics.api.opengl (More info?)

    On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Cindi wrote:

    > OK, it is my thought that one should be able to at least evaluate the
    > code for quality before making such a large scale commitment to it.

    $100 is a large scale commitment?

    --
    flippa@flippac.org

    Performance anxiety leads to premature optimisation
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.graphics.api.opengl (More info?)

    Philippa Cowderoy wrote:

    > > OK, it is my thought that one should be able to at least evaluate the
    > > code for quality before making such a large scale commitment to it.
    > >

    > $100 is a large scale commitment?

    And the availability of a free demo precludes what evaluation?

    -tom!

    --
    There's really no reason to send a copy of your
    followup to my email address, so please don't.
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.graphics.api.opengl (More info?)

    > > > OK, it is my thought that one should be able to at least evaluate the
    > > > code for quality before making such a large scale commitment to it.
    > > >

    > > $100 is a large scale commitment?
    >
    > And the availability of a free demo precludes what evaluation?

    ....Let me add that if you want to buy an engine based upon your
    own coding standards, you probably won't find one.

    I've worked with several commercial game engines, and know people
    who have used several more yet, and in all cases the code works
    (mostly) as advertised but is not the shining paragon of beauty.
    Indeed, in many cases you're left thinking, "why did they do it
    that way?" but it really doesn't matter because you're not buying
    an engine to edit the engine, you're buying it to build a game
    upon.

    -tom!

    --
    There's really no reason to send a copy of your
    followup to my email address, so please don't.
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.graphics.api.opengl (More info?)

    On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Tom Plunket wrote:

    > ...Let me add that if you want to buy an engine based upon your
    > own coding standards, you probably won't find one.

    Seconded. When it comes down to it, we're all picky - to be told somebody
    genuinely likes your code when taken in large chunks is a real compliment.

    > I've worked with several commercial game engines, and know people
    > who have used several more yet, and in all cases the code works
    > (mostly) as advertised but is not the shining paragon of beauty.
    > Indeed, in many cases you're left thinking, "why did they do it
    > that way?" but it really doesn't matter because you're not buying
    > an engine to edit the engine, you're buying it to build a game
    > upon.

    Subject to the engine being sufficiently capable, in fairness. Quake 1,
    for example, had a lot of stuff hardcoded such that a lot of licensees
    would've had to rewrite portions of the networking code (I've done it
    myself since the GPL release) to handle any data above what Quake needs
    for its own gameplay. You actually needed to modify the engine to add a
    use button effectively, despite half the hooks being left in!

    --
    flippa@flippac.org

    There is no magic bullet. There are, however, plenty of bullets that
    magically home in on feet when not used in exactly the right circumstances.
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.graphics.api.opengl (More info?)

    Money is not the issue. You have to have your entire development team
    sign licensing agreements which is overkill. They do not even publish
    the details on their site so you don't really know until purchase time.
    For us, it wouldn't be $100, it would be several thousand.
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.graphics.api.opengl (More info?)

    Cindi Jenkins wrote:

    > A team of eight people have assembled to create the most successful game in
    > 2006 (Ego's rule) and are not looking to reinvent the wheel and therefore
    > have chosen to use an existing engine. Need to understand what is the best
    > engine that has the following features:

    GDC is this week. All the people you need to talk to are
    in San Francisco, available to you.

    John Nagle
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.graphics.api.opengl (More info?)

    Torque is actually quite an old engine, so it is showing its age. On
    the other hand, it is mature and the current Mac range even come
    complete with a Torque-based game as one of the bundled titles ("Marble
    Blast Gold"), so it's certainly capable.

    I would advise downloading the demos first to see if you like how they
    work. Torque does have a C++ interface, but its primarily aimed at
    those who intend to use its own scripting language. You don't get to
    see the source and, frankly, there's not much point in being able to do
    so. It works. It ain't going to get noticeably faster unless you make
    radical changes to the core engine, in which case, you may as well
    write your own.

    I did play with OGRE too, but OGRE is much less complete. It is faster,
    but it lacks maturity and the support for Mac OS X seems to be an
    afterthought. (Only the Windows release comes all nicely packaged. The
    OS X release won't even build its own demos with XCode 1.5. Not
    impressed.)

    The problem is that you're really looking for a _game_ engine, rather
    than just a graphics engine and OGRE is primarily a graphics engine.
    It'll do 3D, but not a whole hell of a lot else. Torque is older, but
    may be better suited to your needs.

    As for 3D Game Studio: It's one of those point-and-click "Make A Game"
    programs you often see in bargain bins. I'm sure it's capable of some
    nice stuff within its own limitations, but it's not really a
    pro-quality game engine.

    There are surprisingly few complete middleware game engines available
    at a cheap price point, so your options are limited, I'm afraid. And
    without knowing what kind of game you really want, it's hard to be
    specific about which engine is "better".

    --
    Sean Timarco Baggaley

    On 2005-03-07 15:46:34 +0000, "zircher" <tzircher@yahoo.com> said:

    > To get the cross platform support that you want, I suggest looking at
    > the Ogre engine.
    >
    > http://www.ogre3d.org/
    >
    > A friend of mine (Walaber) is using this in conjunction with the Newton
    > physics engine and seems to be very pleased with the results so far.
    >
    > http://www.physicsengine.com/
    >
    > It doesn't hurt that the cost of entry for these two is very low.
    > Given that this may be your first big project. I would seriously
    > consider make a game mod using an existing engine. This will give you
    > a change to cut your teeth working as a team, learning your media
    > tools, and sticking to a design and working within a set of
    > limitations. If your team can survivie that, you'll have a much better
    > shot at a whole game project and your quality will be much better than
    > freshman effort.
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.graphics.api.opengl (More info?)

    Sean Baggaley wrote:

    > There are surprisingly few complete middleware game engines available
    > at a cheap price point, so your options are limited, I'm afraid. And
    > without knowing what kind of game you really want, it's hard to be
    > specific about which engine is "better".

    $50 US will net you a copy of Unreal Tournament 2kX and an
    editor. Can't get a much more complete game engine than that, at
    least if you're interested in making FPSes. ;)

    -tom!

    --
    There's really no reason to send a copy of your
    followup to my email address, so please don't.

PC gaming Engine Development Support Games Video Games