Win7 bootable Usb, no load

Greenteaclearcup

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Hello, I am currently using a mac, I have windows 7 64bit professional.iso, and i unetbootined it, changed my usb from fat32, to ntfs, (not sure if the iso file needs to be on the usb along with everything that came out of the iso from unetbootin, but ill try that now, I am 99% sure that wont fix this) anyways when I try and load the usb into my new computer I am building it will start up and the screen will go black with a little blinking underscore at the top.

I have a conroe 1333 motherboard

core 2 duo 6700 2.66g

2g of ram

harddrive with xp and all my old drivers on it= this could be the problem but I do not know what I need to do, my computer will go to safe mode but not with networking, if i am even able to dl programs in safe mode i am not entirely sure.

dudemcduderson

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Try this Bro

How to make a bootable UFD (Universal Flash Drive)

If you are planning to use bootable USB to install Windows 7 or Vista please refer our guides:
Install Windows 7/Vista using bootable USB guide
And also, you can refer install Windows 7 on Acer Aspire One guide
Coming back to bootable USB guide, here we assume that you are using either Vista or Windows 7 to create a bootable USB.
1. Insert your USB (4GB+ preferable) stick to the system and backup all the data from the USB as we are going to format the USB to make it as bootable.
2. Open elevated Command Prompt. To do this, type in CMD in Start menu search field and hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter. Alternatively, navigate to Start > All programs >Accessories > right click on Command Prompt and select run as administrator.
3. When the Command Prompt opens, enter the following command:
DISKPART and hit enter.
LIST DISK and hit enter.
Once you enter the LIST DISK command, it will show the disk number of your USB drive. In the below image my USB drive disk no is Disk 1.
4. In this step you need to enter all the below commands one by one and hit enter. As these commands are self explanatory, you can easily guess what these commands do.
SELECT DISK 1 (Replace DISK 1 with your disk number)
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION 1
ACTIVE
FORMAT FS=NTFS
(Format process may take few seconds)
ASSIGN
EXIT

Don’t close the command prompt as we need to execute one more command at the next step. Just minimize it.
5. Insert your Windows DVD in the optical drive and note down the drive letter of the optical drive and USB media. Here I use “D” as my optical (DVD) drive letter and “H” as my USB drive letter.
6. Go back to command prompt and execute the following commands:
D:CD BOOT and hit enter. Where “D” is your DVD drive letter.
CD BOOT and hit enter to see the below message.
BOOTSECT.EXE/NT60 H:
(Where “H” is your USB drive letter)

marmalademan

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Doesn't the usb stick need to be formatted FAT32?

You're using the disk image option correct? Try formatting your usb stick to Fat32 and then click the disk image option. Browse to your iso file and click run or whatever. Then try that. Don't put anything else on the flash drive.

Greenteaclearcup

Honorable
May 4, 2012
I read somewhere it needed to be ntfs, because when it was fat32 it gave me a countdown starting from 10 and when it got to zero it just restarted the count down. Weird i know haha, but some guy said if you saw this error, which i did, he said change the usb to ntfs.

Greenteaclearcup

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Disk image option? I am confused, I dont see that anywhere. When i use the program unetbootin, it extracts the iso i think, and it ives me these files, ubnfiel.txt, ubnpathl.txt, ldinux.sys, menu.c32, autorun.inf, setup.exe, bootmgr.efi, syslinuxcfg. etc... and some folders, 14 items total.

Greenteaclearcup

Honorable
May 4, 2012
So I should go in safe mode on my xp pc and do all that stuff? step 5 i cant do no cd, and im pretty sure i can just do that my setting my usb to boot first. and if TPB is what i think it is I got win7 from msdn for school i didnt download illegaly.

Sorry, I withdrew my statement.

Follow the directions given to set up the USB stick. I copmes straight from another website that works!

As far as extracting the *.iso file, you need disk burning software to do it. You will burn the *.iso extracted files to a disk (DVD), and the software takes care of it. YOU DO NOT BURN THE *.ISO FILE TO THE DISK, you extract the *.iso files to the disk.

I think you can extract them to a folder on the hard drive, not sure.

Since it is Windows 7, I think you need DVD burning software, due to it's size. Something like Nero, but they are not free. But they are included with (an non-OEM) DVD burner drive.

The extracted files from a Windows 7 *.iso, or the DVD itself, would be something like these:

Folders: boot, efi, sources, support, upgrade (for SP1 only)

Files: autorun.inf, bootmgr, bootmgr.efi, setup.exe

If you get the 9 things above, you should be able to copy it all the a USB, after you set it up as a bootable USB.

All the other thing I think are from unebootin, whatever that is.