Warning: Still Life demo has Starforce copy protection

Last response: in Video Games
March 2, 2005 2:05:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

The new demo available at www.stilllife-game.com has an aggressive new
Starforce version in it that is more intrusive than anything before.

So if you want to install it anyway -> Good Luck!
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 2:48:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:05:24 GMT
Alexis Colby <colbyco@hhh.invalid> wrote:

> The new demo available at www.stilllife-game.com has an aggressive new
> Starforce version in it that is more intrusive than anything before.
>
> So if you want to install it anyway -> Good Luck!

Why in the name of sanity would you want to copy-protect a bloody demo???
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 5:50:23 AM

Thomas N McEwan wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:05:24 GMT
> Alexis Colby <colbyco@hhh.invalid> wrote:
>

>>The new demo available at www.stilllife-game.com has an aggressive new
>>Starforce version in it that is more intrusive than anything before.
>>
>>So if you want to install it anyway -> Good Luck!
>

> Why in the name of sanity would you want to copy-protect a bloody demo???

Because the executable for the demo could possibly be used
to crack the executable in the game, if the game uses StarForce.
It's a pretty safe bet the game will use StarForce if they put
it on the demo.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 6:56:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Alexis Colby <colbyco@hhh.invalid> once tried to test me with:

> The new demo available at www.stilllife-game.com has an aggressive new
> Starforce version in it that is more intrusive than anything before.
>
> So if you want to install it anyway -> Good Luck!

No need to try the demo. If the game's going to be using Starforce, it's
immediately a "no buy".

--

Knight37

March 2, 2005 7:22:32 AM

Alexis Colby wrote:
> The new demo available at www.stilllife-game.com has an aggressive new
> Starforce version in it that is more intrusive than anything before.
>
> So if you want to install it anyway -> Good Luck!

Here's something weird -

Someone in the GB forum reported that the demo downloaded
from mirror #2 did not have StarForce while the demo from
mirror #3 did. I assume they downloaded from here
http://www.stilllife-game.com/downloads.aspx

GB thread is here
http://www.gameboomers.com/ubboard/ultimatebb.php/topic...

They say mirror #3 was Filefront and mirror #2 was
microids.fileburst.com

So did Filefront "add a little something" or what?
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 7:43:55 AM

Jenny100 wrote:
> Alexis Colby wrote:
>
>> The new demo available at www.stilllife-game.com has an aggressive new
>> Starforce version in it that is more intrusive than anything before.
>>
>> So if you want to install it anyway -> Good Luck!
>

> Here's something weird -
>
> Someone in the GB forum reported that the demo downloaded
> from mirror #2 did not have StarForce while the demo from
> mirror #3 did. I assume they downloaded from here
> http://www.stilllife-game.com/downloads.aspx
>
> GB thread is here
> http://www.gameboomers.com/ubboard/ultimatebb.php/topic...
>
> They say mirror #3 was Filefront and mirror #2 was
> microids.fileburst.com
>
> So did Filefront "add a little something" or what?

Update - he tested the demo from mirror #2 before actually
running the game. Apparently the demos from all three mirror
sites contain StarForce.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 7:45:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Jenny100 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:ccbVd.3689$wy3.928
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> Here's something weird -
>
> Someone in the GB forum reported that the demo downloaded
> from mirror #2 did not have StarForce while the demo from
> mirror #3 did. I assume they downloaded from here
> http://www.stilllife-game.com/downloads.aspx
>
> GB thread is here
> http://www.gameboomers.com/ubboard/ultimatebb.php/topic...
>
> They say mirror #3 was Filefront and mirror #2 was
> microids.fileburst.com
>
> So did Filefront "add a little something" or what?

Most likely that the person reporting no Starforce had not run the demo
yet. The drivers are installed when you run the executable, not when you
install the program.

--
Murray Peterson
Email: murray.spamtrap1@shaw.ca

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Alexis Colby <colbyco@hhh.invalid> wrote in news:Uy6Vd.3752121$f47.668314
@news.easynews.com:

> The new demo available at www.stilllife-game.com has an aggressive new
> Starforce version in it that is more intrusive than anything before.

Thanks for the warning.

> So if you want to install it anyway -> Good Luck!

Not me -- Starforce isn't allowed on my machine anymore.

--
Murray Peterson
Email: murray.spamtrap1@shaw.ca
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 8:20:48 AM

Murray Peterson wrote:
> Jenny100 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:ccbVd.3689$wy3.928
> @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:
>

>>Here's something weird -
>>
>>Someone in the GB forum reported that the demo downloaded
>>from mirror #2 did not have StarForce while the demo from
>>mirror #3 did. I assume they downloaded from here
>>http://www.stilllife-game.com/downloads.aspx
>>
>>GB thread is here
>>http://www.gameboomers.com/ubboard/ultimatebb.php/topic...
>>
>>They say mirror #3 was Filefront and mirror #2 was
>>microids.fileburst.com
>>
>>So did Filefront "add a little something" or what?
>

> Most likely that the person reporting no Starforce had not run the demo
> yet. The drivers are installed when you run the executable, not when you
> install the program.

Yup. That's what happened.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 12:20:51 PM

"Alexis Colby" <colbyco@hhh.invalid> wrote in message
> The new demo available at www.stilllife-game.com has an aggressive new
> Starforce version in it that is more intrusive than anything before.
>
> So if you want to install it anyway -> Good Luck!

I by a lot of games, but never ran across "Starforce." I take it that it's
worst than Steam?
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 7:02:02 PM

Alexis Colby wrote:
> The new demo available at www.stilllife-game.com has an aggressive new
> Starforce version in it that is more intrusive than anything before.
>
> So if you want to install it anyway -> Good Luck!

I'm not sure how it is 'more intrusive than anything before'.

But anyhow I installed, played it and then removed the Starforce drivers
with this:

http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55

The demo certainly looks good graphics-wise but it is a bit too short to
get a real feel for the game. I'm guessing Post Mortem with some CSI
style elements thrown in...
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 12:43:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"Alfie Noakes" <nospam@thanks.com> schreef in bericht
> Alexis Colby wrote:
> > The new demo available at www.stilllife-game.com has an aggressive new
> > Starforce version in it that is more intrusive than anything before.
> >
> > So if you want to install it anyway -> Good Luck!
>
> I'm not sure how it is 'more intrusive than anything before'.

Can it be that a Win 98SE based computer has less problems with S***force?
On my machine is The Black Mirror installed (has S***force on it) but there
is no sign of (driver)trouble at all.

> But anyhow I installed, played it and then removed the Starforce drivers
> with this:
>
> http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55
>
> The demo certainly looks good graphics-wise but it is a bit too short to
> get a real feel for the game. I'm guessing Post Mortem with some CSI
> style elements thrown in...
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 1:30:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

It depends on what is installed on that Win98SE machine. I recently
installed a StarForce protected title and it found something it didn't
like on my Win98SE system.

It tossed my hard drive into Compatibility Mode and the machine into
Safe Mode. Uninstalling the title made no difference.

I happened to have, or so I thought, a copy of the StarForce removal
tool on my system. Seems the installation of a StarForce protected
game removes any StarForce removal tools it finds.

I managed to get my system to behave long enough to download a fresh
version of the StarForce removal tool and was able to get my system on
its feet again.

When I asked the developer what sorts of apps or hardware might cause
this problem, they never bothered to get back to me. So, even if I
were willing to rebuild my system, they were not willing or able to
tell me what to do.

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 21:43:06 +0100, "E-Cie" <WUFX@shutup.au> wrote:

>"Alfie Noakes" <nospam@thanks.com> schreef in bericht
>> Alexis Colby wrote:
>> > The new demo available at www.stilllife-game.com has an aggressive new
>> > Starforce version in it that is more intrusive than anything before.
>> >
>> > So if you want to install it anyway -> Good Luck!
>>
>> I'm not sure how it is 'more intrusive than anything before'.
>>
>Can it be that a Win 98SE based computer has less problems with S***force?
>On my machine is The Black Mirror installed (has S***force on it) but there
>is no sign of (driver)trouble at all.
>
>> But anyhow I installed, played it and then removed the Starforce drivers
>> with this:
>>
>> http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55
>>
>> The demo certainly looks good graphics-wise but it is a bit too short to
>> get a real feel for the game. I'm guessing Post Mortem with some CSI
>> style elements thrown in...

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 9:23:26 PM

Thomas N McEwan <captaininsanity@onayamspay.uk2.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:05:24 GMT
> Alexis Colby <colbyco@hhh.invalid> wrote:
>
>> The new demo available at www.stilllife-game.com has an aggressive new
>> Starforce version in it that is more intrusive than anything before.
>>
>> So if you want to install it anyway -> Good Luck!
>
> Why in the name of sanity would you want to copy-protect a bloody demo???

Personally, I think it's a great idea. It gives you a fair and accurate
indication of what you're likely to face if/when you buy the game. In other
words, putting SF in the demo is EXACTLY what a demo is supposed to do.

Pity, really. It looks like it would have been a great game.

Colin
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 9:23:27 PM

Colin B. wrote:
> Thomas N McEwan <captaininsanity@onayamspay.uk2.net> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:05:24 GMT
>>Alexis Colby <colbyco@hhh.invalid> wrote:
>>

>>>The new demo available at www.stilllife-game.com has an aggressive new
>>>Starforce version in it that is more intrusive than anything before.
>>>
>>>So if you want to install it anyway -> Good Luck!
>>
>>Why in the name of sanity would you want to copy-protect a bloody demo???
>

> Personally, I think it's a great idea. It gives you a fair and accurate
> indication of what you're likely to face if/when you buy the game. In other
> words, putting SF in the demo is EXACTLY what a demo is supposed to do.

Not really. It gives no indication at all of whether
StarForce is compatible with your CD drive - because
the demo doesn't use your CD drive.
And if someone doesn't want StarForce on their PC, I'm
sure they'd rather know before they go to the trouble
of downloading the large demo.

> Pity, really. It looks like it would have been a great game.
>
> Colin
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 10:45:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

<himrlipid> schreef in bericht
> It depends on what is installed on that Win98SE machine. I recently
> installed a StarForce protected title and it found something it didn't
> like on my Win98SE system.
>
> It tossed my hard drive into Compatibility Mode and the machine into
> Safe Mode. Uninstalling the title made no difference.
>
> I happened to have, or so I thought, a copy of the StarForce removal
> tool on my system. Seems the installation of a StarForce protected
> game removes any StarForce removal tools it finds.
>
> I managed to get my system to behave long enough to download a fresh
> version of the StarForce removal tool and was able to get my system on
> its feet again.
>
> When I asked the developer what sorts of apps or hardware might cause
> this problem, they never bothered to get back to me. So, even if I
> were willing to rebuild my system, they were not willing or able to
> tell me what to do.

OK! Thanks for the info, i'll stay distrustful according to S***force. ;-)

> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 21:43:06 +0100, "E-Cie" <WUFX@shutup.au> wrote:
>

> >"Alfie Noakes" <nospam@thanks.com> schreef in bericht

> >> I'm not sure how it is 'more intrusive than anything before'.
> >>
> >Can it be that a Win 98SE based computer has less problems with
S***force?
> >On my machine is The Black Mirror installed (has S***force on it) but
there
> >is no sign of (driver)trouble at all.
> >
> >> But anyhow I installed, played it and then removed the Starforce
drivers
> >> with this:
> >>
> >> http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55
> >>
> >> The demo certainly looks good graphics-wise but it is a bit too short
> >> get a real feel for the game. I'm guessing Post Mortem with some CSI
> >> style elements thrown in...

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 11:16:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

> I'm not sure how it is 'more intrusive than anything before'.

Here are just two posts from users about the demo and starforce:

Grr, it looks like my laptop got bitten by StarForce
I've had two lockups since the StillLife demo got installed in the last two
days and I think I've had less than that in the last year. I've disabled
the drivers for now (of course the demo won't run) and will try to prove /
disprove the correlation when I have some time.
BTW, these lockups weren't even when playing the demo!

My most recent exposure to StarForce (Xpand Rally) has convinced me I will
never knowingly buy or ask for as a gift any game which utilizes Starforce.
It's one thing to have a game simply refuse to start as is the case with
XIII and its infamous Tages protection. Quite another to have a game's
protection render a system nearly unusable by fiddling with the
IDE-interface. Or, as the folks from StarForce explain it on their website:

The new version of StarForce features the NewATAPI technology, which, when
used together with the previously announced ISO-protection technology,
prevents bypassing the protection algorithms using IDE-interface blocking.

My experience with this is that it throws the IDE drives into Compatibility
Mode and, upon rebooting, tosses the whole system into Safe Mode. All this
while offering no hint what StarForce didn't like on the system.

And the system cannot be restored by removing the game. Oh, no. The
StarForce drivers have to be removed and it seems if StarForce finds a
removal tool on the system while the game is installing, it removes the
removal tool. This means trying to get a web browser on its feet long
enough to track down the removal tool.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 6:19:28 PM

Alexis Colby wrote:
>>I'm not sure how it is 'more intrusive than anything before'.
>>

> Here are just two posts from users about the demo and starforce:

snip

> My most recent exposure to StarForce (Xpand Rally) has convinced me I will
> never knowingly buy or ask for as a gift any game which utilizes Starforce.
> It's one thing to have a game simply refuse to start as is the case with
> XIII and its infamous Tages protection. Quite another to have a game's
> protection render a system nearly unusable by fiddling with the
> IDE-interface. Or, as the folks from StarForce explain it on their website:
>
> The new version of StarForce features the NewATAPI technology, which, when
> used together with the previously announced ISO-protection technology,
> prevents bypassing the protection algorithms using IDE-interface blocking.
>
> My experience with this is that it throws the IDE drives into Compatibility
> Mode and, upon rebooting, tosses the whole system into Safe Mode. All this
> while offering no hint what StarForce didn't like on the system.
>
> And the system cannot be restored by removing the game. Oh, no. The
> StarForce drivers have to be removed and it seems if StarForce finds a
> removal tool on the system while the game is installing, it removes the
> removal tool. This means trying to get a web browser on its feet long
> enough to track down the removal tool.

I'm not defending Starforce. I just wondered what was worse in this
latest version than previous ones and this goes some way to explaining
that. Thanks.

I've previously installed games that use Starforce without knowing it.
Fortunately my system has never been affected. IMO there should *at
least* always be a prominent section of the EULA which tells us about
what drivers are going to be installed. And better would be a separate
dialogue box at the start of the install. Best would be having it
displayed on the box!
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 6:50:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:11:59 -0500, Jenny100 <nospam@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Colin B. wrote:
>> Thomas N McEwan <captaininsanity@onayamspay.uk2.net> wrote:

>>>Why in the name of sanity would you want to copy-protect a bloody demo???
>>

>> Personally, I think it's a great idea. It gives you a fair and accurate
>> indication of what you're likely to face if/when you buy the game. In other
>> words, putting SF in the demo is EXACTLY what a demo is supposed to do.
>

>Not really. It gives no indication at all of whether
>StarForce is compatible with your CD drive - because
>the demo doesn't use your CD drive.
>And if someone doesn't want StarForce on their PC, I'm
>sure they'd rather know before they go to the trouble
>of downloading the large demo.

That's what happened to me with Xpand Rally. The demo was great. The
full game...well, let's just say I'm never doing THAT again.

!