Do i need a hub or switch or router

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I'm really confused even after going through several websites.

What I want to do is to connect multiple computers together to host a lan party, i don't need the internet on any of them as just me and my friends are gonna be playing.

Do I need to buy a HUB or Switch, and will I need a router to connect the the computers to the HUB or Switch?
If I buy a switch i dont need a hub right? will all the computers be able to interact with each other in the game with a switch or does only a hub do that.

Because I read a switch is selective, so i'm confused whether this selective switching will prevent a computer to having access to the same game?

Thank you!

Solution
You most likely will not be able to find a hub except in some junk bin of old stuff.

All you need is a switch to connect the machines together. The only problem you may find is assigning IP addresses. You will have to manually setup each machine. You could try to use those strange IP microsoft uses when it does not find a dhcp server but its not a lot more work to set the IP than to look up the one it generated.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
You most likely will not be able to find a hub except in some junk bin of old stuff.

All you need is a switch to connect the machines together. The only problem you may find is assigning IP addresses. You will have to manually setup each machine. You could try to use those strange IP microsoft uses when it does not find a dhcp server but its not a lot more work to set the IP than to look up the one it generated.

Solution

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

Yeah thats alright thanks! I've seen people on youtube getting their lans to work by doing something like if ones ip is 192.168.9.34 then the the other keep it as 192.168.9.35,then 36 then 37. so I'll tell those guys to change their settings sequentially to mine.

Also with a router i dont need any crossover cables right? regular ethernet cables will do?