Trouble connecting HP laptop to Sony flatscreen using HDMI

glahnrd42

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Hi everyone. I am having a lot of trouble getting my TV to show a decent image from my laptop via HDMI. I have tried all the different resolutions and most of them show nothing but a blank screen on my TV. The 800X600 resolution consistently shows my desktop on the TV but the image is terrible - not only blurry but also covered with red vertical lines and green horizontal lines. Some of the other resolutions will show my desktop on the TV maybe 1 out of 20 tries but the image has the same problem - thin red vertical lines and green horizontal lines. Also, the image cuts on and off, going blank and then reappearing every once in a while.

The HDMI wire seems to be connected securely.

Here are the details of what I'm working with:

HP dv6 laptop with Windows 7

AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

SONY Bravia 32" flatscreen TV

I am living in Ethiopia. My TV was purchased here but my laptop was purchased in the U.S. Don't know if that's relevant but there it is.

I've read a lot of posts and I couldn't find one that really fit my case and to be honest most of the related posts were very confusing to me. I will do my best to follow your instructions but I am a bit new to this.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for reading this and thank you so much in advance for any help you might offer. Really need this to work :)

glahnrd42

Honorable
May 8, 2012
One more piece of information:

The audio also currently doesn't work through the HDMI connection. I have "ATI HDMI output" set as default, and on my laptop it shows sound bars moving up and down as if it were working, but there is no sound on the TV.

Thank you so much for your help.

glahnrd42

Honorable
May 8, 2012
No luck so far with a response but I have some more information I thought I'd add.

I can now get a picture (albeit an unbearably choppy one) consistently but only on one screen at a time. Setting the resolution to 1920X1080 didn't help in that case. I don't know if it is my computer or my hdmi cord or what but it seems like there's not enough power for there to be a picture on both screens (or one good picture on the TV for that matter). If I set it to only display on my TV, there is a picture but it is hard to look at. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

I would be quicker to buy a new hdmi cable but in Ethiopia they cost close to $100 due to taxes and markup on technological imports, and there is no such thing as return or refund here.

MUCH THANKS for any suggestions