Star Trek: Judgement Rites Talking-Edition

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Hi

I've recently been looking for the talking version of Star Trek: Judgement
Rites in which the original actors of the original series provide
voice-overs for the subtitled text. However, up to now I've not been able
to locate a copy at all. All the ones I've found appear to be without the
voice-overs

I have a sealed copy of the Federation Compilation which mentions
voices for 25th Anniversary, but not Judgement Rites. I also have a
White Label copy, but this definitely does not have the voice-overs.
Without buying blindly on eBay trying to locate a copy that does have it,
is there any way of accurately determining which copies have the
voice-overs and which do not?

Thanks

Pan
2 answers Last reply
More about star trek judgement rites talking edition
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Star Trek Judgment Rites is the very first Graphic Adventure we ever played.
    The one we played did not have voices and I believe came on diskettes. A
    while after I received the Collectors Edition for Christmas which did have
    the original actors voices. Below is a link I found where I believe someone
    has the Collector's Edition for sale.

    http://www.ioffer.com/i/Star-Trek-Judgment-Rites-5683586

    I haven't played JR in a while - mostly because I can't get it to work on
    Windows ME. Originally played it on a Dell P100 in DOS mode. Would love to
    play this and 25th again if anyone can give advice on how to get it to run.

    Thanks.

    --
    Opus007
    "Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler"

    "Pan" <noaddress@nodomain.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I've recently been looking for the talking version of Star Trek: Judgement
    > Rites in which the original actors of the original series provide
    > voice-overs for the subtitled text. However, up to now I've not been able
    > to locate a copy at all. All the ones I've found appear to be without the
    > voice-overs
    >
    > I have a sealed copy of the Federation Compilation which mentions
    > voices for 25th Anniversary, but not Judgement Rites. I also have a
    > White Label copy, but this definitely does not have the voice-overs.
    > Without buying blindly on eBay trying to locate a copy that does have it,
    > is there any way of accurately determining which copies have the
    > voice-overs and which do not?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Pan
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 12:12:19 -0500, opus007 wrote:

    > Star Trek Judgment Rites is the very first Graphic Adventure we ever played.
    > The one we played did not have voices and I believe came on diskettes. A
    > while after I received the Collectors Edition for Christmas which did have
    > the original actors voices. Below is a link I found where I believe someone
    > has the Collector's Edition for sale.
    >
    > http://www.ioffer.com/i/Star-Trek-Judgment-Rites-5683586
    >
    > I haven't played JR in a while - mostly because I can't get it to work on
    > Windows ME. Originally played it on a Dell P100 in DOS mode. Would love to
    > play this and 25th again if anyone can give advice on how to get it to run.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Thanks for the information. In fact, I have found out that the sealed
    Federation Compilation edition is indeed the voice-enabled version.
    However, it was very difficult to tell this from any of the packaging,
    The only recognisable difference between the non-speech and speech
    versions is the size of the CD.

    I would recommend you use Dosbox for running these games on Windows ME:

    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

    It's a DOS emulator for running old programs. I have used it to play both
    Judgement Rites and 25th Anniversary. Because this program emulates a DOS
    environment, it is slower than a native system. However, I found both
    games ran acceptably fast after some performance tweaking on my Athlon
    750mhz (hardly state of the art these days). I noticed some slowdowns in
    action scenes, but nothing significant. I use Dosbox for lots of old DOS
    games these days and can highly recommend it.

    Hope this helps you.

    Regards,

    Pan

PC gaming Video Games