Star Trek: Judgement Rites Talking-Edition

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Hi

I've recently been looking for the talking version of Star Trek: Judgement
Rites in which the original actors of the original series provide
voice-overs for the subtitled text. However, up to now I've not been able
to locate a copy at all. All the ones I've found appear to be without the
voice-overs

I have a sealed copy of the Federation Compilation which mentions
voices for 25th Anniversary, but not Judgement Rites. I also have a
White Label copy, but this definitely does not have the voice-overs.
Without buying blindly on eBay trying to locate a copy that does have it,
is there any way of accurately determining which copies have the
voice-overs and which do not?

Thanks

Pan

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Star Trek Judgment Rites is the very first Graphic Adventure we ever played.
The one we played did not have voices and I believe came on diskettes. A
while after I received the Collectors Edition for Christmas which did have
the original actors voices. Below is a link I found where I believe someone
has the Collector's Edition for sale.

http://www.ioffer.com/i/Star-Trek-Judgment-Rites-5683586

I haven't played JR in a while - mostly because I can't get it to work on
Windows ME. Originally played it on a Dell P100 in DOS mode. Would love to
play this and 25th again if anyone can give advice on how to get it to run.

Thanks.

--
Opus007
"Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler"

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 12:12:19 -0500, opus007 wrote:

> Star Trek Judgment Rites is the very first Graphic Adventure we ever played.
> The one we played did not have voices and I believe came on diskettes. A
> while after I received the Collectors Edition for Christmas which did have
> the original actors voices. Below is a link I found where I believe someone
> has the Collector's Edition for sale.
>
> http://www.ioffer.com/i/Star-Trek-Judgment-Rites-5683586
>
> I haven't played JR in a while - mostly because I can't get it to work on
> Windows ME. Originally played it on a Dell P100 in DOS mode. Would love to
> play this and 25th again if anyone can give advice on how to get it to run.
>
> Thanks.

Thanks for the information. In fact, I have found out that the sealed
Federation Compilation edition is indeed the voice-enabled version.
However, it was very difficult to tell this from any of the packaging,
The only recognisable difference between the non-speech and speech
versions is the size of the CD.

I would recommend you use Dosbox for running these games on Windows ME:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

It's a DOS emulator for running old programs. I have used it to play both
Judgement Rites and 25th Anniversary. Because this program emulates a DOS
environment, it is slower than a native system. However, I found both
games ran acceptably fast after some performance tweaking on my Athlon
750mhz (hardly state of the art these days). I noticed some slowdowns in
action scenes, but nothing significant. I use Dosbox for lots of old DOS
games these days and can highly recommend it.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Pan