Free adventure........Divided.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"B.C." <my@email.adres.is.invalid> wrote in news:422e2214$0$15167$dbd45001
@news.wanadoo.nl:

> It was difficult!!

You weren't joking -- this one has some real tough puzzles.

> It was fun!

So far,so good.

> It was myst/riven/zork nemesis like!

I'll have to finish it before commenting.

> Play it........enjoy it.

So far, so good :)

--
Murray Peterson
Email: murray.spamtrap2@shaw.ca

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"Murray Peterson" <mwp@home.com.invalid> schreef in bericht
> "B.C." <my@email.adres.is.invalid> wrote in news:422e2214$0$15167$dbd45001
> @news.wanadoo.nl:
>
> You weren't joking -- this one has some real tough puzzles.
> So far,so good.
> I'll have to finish it before commenting.
> So far, so good :)

Found the journal yet???? Took me two evenings AND reading the hints and
tips.
:)
Hope you enjoy it.
Barbara

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"B.C." <my@emailisinvalid> wrote in

> "Murray Peterson" <mwp@home.com.invalid> schreef in bericht
>> "B.C." <my@email.adres.is.invalid> wrote in
>> news:422e2214$0$15167$dbd45001 @news.wanadoo.nl:
>>
>> You weren't joking -- this one has some real tough puzzles.
>> So far,so good.
>> I'll have to finish it before commenting.
>> So far, so good :)
>
> Found the journal yet???? Took me two evenings AND reading the hints
> and tips.
>:)

Not sure. There is the book sitting on the table in the room where you
first start the game -- that's the only one I have seen so far.

--

"Mimi Underwood via GamesKB.com" <forum@GamesKB.com> schreef in bericht
> IS THERE A WALKKTHROUGH FOR THIS GAME?

No as far as I know there isn't.
You can ask for help in the hint and tips section or just read the messages
there when you're stuck...........like I did.
Good luck
Barbara..............oh or ask Murray :)

> "Mimi Underwood via GamesKB.com" <forum@GamesKB.com> schreef in
> bericht news:18d05b86e8bd4be5837d526eedd5ad7f@GamesKB.com...
>> IS THERE A WALKKTHROUGH FOR THIS GAME?
>
> No as far as I know there isn't.
> You can ask for help in the hint and tips section or just read the
> messages there when you're stuck...........like I did.
> Good luck
> Barbara..............oh or ask Murray :)

Not yet -- we haven't played it a over a week, and still need to solve a
tough puzzle (the tower with four light/dark squares).

--

"Mimi Underwood via GamesKB.com" <forum@GamesKB.com> wrote in

> Thanks Barbara. Who is Murray and where do I find him?

Right here.

http://cgi.jeroenstout.net/divided/YaBB.pl?board=DIV_HINTS

--

"Jenny100" <nospam@nospam.com> schreef in bericht
> B.C. wrote:
>
> What is that Microsoft.net thing it wants you to download?

I just don't know Jenny100! I downloaded it and the game played well.
Once in a while I just do what I am told........not asking questions :)

Barbara

Jenny100 wrote in news:d2soqj0jeq@news1.newsguy.com:

> What is that Microsoft.net thing it wants you to download?

It's a new framework Microsoft has come up with. Their answer to your
question can be found at: http://www.microsoft.com/Net/Basics.aspx
I suppose you could think of it as a competitor for Java.

Rikard

Rikard Peterson wrote:
> Jenny100 wrote in news:d2soqj0jeq@news1.newsguy.com:
>

>>What is that Microsoft.net thing it wants you to download?
>

> It's a new framework Microsoft has come up with. Their answer to your
> question can be found at: http://www.microsoft.com/Net/Basics.aspx

Maybe it can, but I don't understand th Microsoftspeak on that page.
Why would the game need it?
It makes it sound like it's an online game.

> I suppose you could think of it as a competitor for Java.

Because MS was criticized for making their own version of
Java they came up with this instead?

Jenny100 wrote:
>>> What is that Microsoft.net thing it wants you to download?
>>
>> It's a new framework Microsoft has come up with. Their answer to your
>> question can be found at: http://www.microsoft.com/Net/Basics.aspx
>
> Maybe it can, but I don't understand th Microsoftspeak on that page.
> Why would the game need it?
> It makes it sound like it's an online game.

That page is a bit misleading. .NET is a software environment, similar to,
as Rikard said, the Java environment (/virtual machine). Another way to
look at it (if you really squint) is that it is to Windows what Windows 3.1
was to DOS. I wouldn't be surprised if 2 or 3 generations down the line
..NET becomes Windows 2010, and current Windows progroms almost-run in a box
on top of it, might like DOS and old Windows 9x apps run in XP.

It might be apocryphal, but my understanding is that the ".NET" name was
floating around Microsoft PR offices before the technology that became .NET
even existed. It does have a lot of support in it for networking, but so
does every system these days. It can be used without any extra contortions
to produce and run regular desktop (non-network) applications.

> Because MS was criticized for making their own version of
> Java they came up with this instead?

Microsoft has claimed that the .NET technology was in development well
before that (IIRC, it was started internally at about the same Java was
started). That might be a bit of artistic license, but Microsoft is big
enough that it's probably true that somebody's there had a pet project
that was close enough to make the claim non-false :). The Java episode
certainly seems to have pushed .NET into the forefront of Microsoft
strategy and development.

From the standpoint of somebody just getting this game to run, the .NET
framework is kinda like a bunch of DLLs that you get and install, like the
old Visual Basic and MFC runtime DLLs (vbrunX00.dll, mfc42.dll), or like
DirectX. .NET digs itself much deeper into your system than that and does
much more, but it only comes out to play when asked. Also, it's probably
safer to be running .NET programs than native Windows programs.

If you have a recent version of Windows (Server 2003, the latest XPs),
then .NET is probably already there, installed with Windows.
--
David Tanguay http://www.sentex.ca/~datanguayh/
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada [43.24N 80.29W]

Jenny100 wrote in news:d31ftc01qbd@news2.newsguy.com:

> Rikard Peterson wrote:

>> It's a new framework Microsoft has come up with. Their answer to
>> your question can be found at:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/Net/Basics.aspx
>
> Maybe it can, but I don't understand the Microsoftspeak on
> that page.

Neither do I, but there it is.

> Why would the game need it?
> It makes it sound like it's an online game.

The game is probably developed with the latest tools from Microsoft,
which cause it to need that framework to run. (Hopefully, someone who
can explain this better than me will step forward. I can only teach
music, not computer system details that I only almost understand
myself.)

>> I suppose you could think of it as a competitor for Java.
>
> Because MS was criticized for making their own version of
> Java they came up with this instead?

Or beacuse they want something they can control. Or beacuse they
thought they could create something better. Or all of the above.

Rikard

David Adrien Tanguay wrote:

>>> It's a new framework Microsoft has come up with. Their answer to your
>>> question can be found at: http://www.microsoft.com/Net/Basics.aspx
>>

>> Maybe it can, but I don't understand th Microsoftspeak on that page.
>> Why would the game need it?
>> It makes it sound like it's an online game.
>

> That page is a bit misleading. .NET is a software environment, similar to,
> as Rikard said, the Java environment (/virtual machine). Another way to
> look at it (if you really squint) is that it is to Windows what Windows 3.1
> was to DOS. I wouldn't be surprised if 2 or 3 generations down the line
> .NET becomes Windows 2010, and current Windows progroms almost-run in a box
> on top of it, might like DOS and old Windows 9x apps run in XP.

Well that's interesting. It sure doesn't sound like anything
on that webpage.

> It might be apocryphal, but my understanding is that the ".NET" name was
> floating around Microsoft PR offices before the technology that became .NET
> even existed. It does have a lot of support in it for networking, but so
> does every system these days. It can be used without any extra contortions
> to produce and run regular desktop (non-network) applications.
>
>> Because MS was criticized for making their own version of
>> Java they came up with this instead?
>

> Microsoft has claimed that the .NET technology was in development well
> before that (IIRC, it was started internally at about the same Java was
> started). That might be a bit of artistic license, but Microsoft is big
> enough that it's probably true that somebody's there had a pet project
> that was close enough to make the claim non-false :). The Java episode
> certainly seems to have pushed .NET into the forefront of Microsoft
> strategy and development.

Hmmm...
Microsoft sneaky.

> From the standpoint of somebody just getting this game to run, the .NET
> framework is kinda like a bunch of DLLs that you get and install, like the
> old Visual Basic and MFC runtime DLLs (vbrunX00.dll, mfc42.dll), or like
> DirectX. .NET digs itself much deeper into your system than that and does
> much more, but it only comes out to play when asked. Also, it's probably
> safer to be running .NET programs than native Windows programs.

Safer how?
If it's digging deeper into the system, isn't it more likely
to cause problems? What would a virus written in .NET do?

> If you have a recent version of Windows (Server 2003, the latest XPs),
> then .NET is probably already there, installed with Windows.

No I don't have those.
Thanks for the explanation.

Rikard Peterson wrote:
> Jenny100 wrote in news:d31ftc01qbd@news2.newsguy.com:
>

>>Rikard Peterson wrote:
>

>>>It's a new framework Microsoft has come up with. Their answer to
>>>your question can be found at:
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/Net/Basics.aspx
>>
>>Maybe it can, but I don't understand the Microsoftspeak on
>>that page.
>

> Neither do I, but there it is.

Oh well. That's Microsoft for you.
They manage to make even the simplest concepts difficult,
so it's no wonder I get boggled on the tough ones.

>>Why would the game need it?
>>It makes it sound like it's an online game.
>

> The game is probably developed with the latest tools from Microsoft,
> which cause it to need that framework to run. (Hopefully, someone who
> can explain this better than me will step forward. I can only teach
> music, not computer system details that I only almost understand
> myself.)

Thanks for trying.

>>>I suppose you could think of it as a competitor for Java.
>>
>>Because MS was criticized for making their own version of
>>Java they came up with this instead?
>

> Or beacuse they want something they can control. Or beacuse they
> thought they could create something better. Or all of the above.

Sounds insidious.

Rikard Peterson <trumgottist@bigfoot.com> wrote in

> The game is probably developed with the latest tools from Microsoft,
> which cause it to need that framework to run. (Hopefully, someone who
> can explain this better than me will step forward. I can only teach
> music, not computer system details that I only almost understand
> myself.)

I'll try, but it's pretty arcane stuff for people not familiar with
computer programming.

The .NET CLR (Common Language Runtime) implements what is known as a
"virtual machine" -- it is a computer implemented completely in software.

All applications written in a .NET language have their code compiled down
to the assembly language for the .NET instruction set, which is then
executed by the CLR on a real machine of your choice (including Unix
platforms). If you want to go back in time, you can think of it much like
a basic interpreter, where the basic source code was compiled down to pcode
instructions, and the basic's runtime package would execute thoe pcode
instructions intead of native Intel instructions.

That's why you must install the .NET framework for this game; it was
written in a .NET language and requires the .NET virtual machine in order
to run it.

--

Murray Peterson wrote:
> Rikard Peterson <trumgottist@bigfoot.com> wrote in
>

>>The game is probably developed with the latest tools from Microsoft,
>>which cause it to need that framework to run. (Hopefully, someone who
>>can explain this better than me will step forward. I can only teach
>>music, not computer system details that I only almost understand
>>myself.)
>

> I'll try, but it's pretty arcane stuff for people not familiar with
> computer programming.
>
> The .NET CLR (Common Language Runtime) implements what is known as a
> "virtual machine" -- it is a computer implemented completely in software.

Sort of like DOSBox or ScummVM is a virtual machine?
Or like the DOS window in Win 2000 or XP?

> All applications written in a .NET language have their code compiled down
> to the assembly language for the .NET instruction set, which is then
> executed by the CLR on a real machine of your choice (including Unix
> platforms).

But you can't install .NET on a Unix computer, can you?
Isn't it only for Microsoft Windows systems?

> If you want to go back in time, you can think of it much like
> a basic interpreter, where the basic source code was compiled down to pcode
> instructions, and the basic's runtime package would execute thoe pcode
> instructions intead of native Intel instructions.
>
> That's why you must install the .NET framework for this game; it was
> written in a .NET language and requires the .NET virtual machine in order
> to run it.

Thanks for the explanation, Murray.

> Rikard Peterson <trumgottist@bigfoot.com> wrote in
>
> > The game is probably developed with the latest tools from Microsoft,
> > which cause it to need that framework to run. (Hopefully, someone who
> > can explain this better than me will step forward. I can only teach
> > music, not computer system details that I only almost understand
> > myself.)
>
> I'll try, but it's pretty arcane stuff for people not familiar with
> computer programming.
>
> The .NET CLR (Common Language Runtime) implements what is known as a
> "virtual machine" -- it is a computer implemented completely in software.
>
> All applications written in a .NET language have their code compiled down
> to the assembly language for the .NET instruction set, which is then
> executed by the CLR on a real machine of your choice (including Unix
> platforms). If you want to go back in time, you can think of it much like
> a basic interpreter, where the basic source code was compiled down to
pcode
> instructions, and the basic's runtime package would execute thoe pcode
> instructions intead of native Intel instructions.
>
> That's why you must install the .NET framework for this game; it was
> written in a .NET language and requires the .NET virtual machine in order
> to run it.
>
> --
> Murray Peterson
> Email: murray.spamtrap2@shaw.ca

Crisp and clear! Thanks Murray.

Jenny100 wrote in news:d32d2u0hvh@news3.newsguy.com:

> Murray Peterson wrote:

>> The .NET CLR (Common Language Runtime) implements what is known
>> as a "virtual machine" -- it is a computer implemented completely
>> in software.

Aha! Then it was as I thought (but wasn't sure of). You also explained
it much better than I ever could have done.

> Sort of like DOSBox or ScummVM is a virtual machine?

Yes!

> Or like the DOS window in Win 2000 or XP?

Well, no. The "DOS window" in Windows is just a place for typing
commands. Starting a program from there is no different from starting
it in some other way. Try typing "notepad" there for an example.

>> All applications written in a .NET language have their code
>> compiled down to the assembly language for the .NET instruction
>> set, which is then executed by the CLR on a real machine of your
>> choice (including Unix platforms).
>
> But you can't install .NET on a Unix computer, can you?
> Isn't it only for Microsoft Windows systems?

Unless I'm misinformed, you're right, but there is Mono
http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page
http://www.apcmag.com/apc/v3.nsf/0/22F356ECB65244E2CA256F6A00107C19

>> If you want to go back in time, you can think of it much like
>> a basic interpreter, where the basic source code was compiled
>> down to pcode instructions, and the basic's runtime package would
>> execute thoe pcode instructions intead of native Intel
>> instructions.
>>
>> That's why you must install the .NET framework for this game; it
>> was written in a .NET language and requires the .NET virtual
>> machine in order to run it.
>
> Thanks for the explanation, Murray.

Yes, thanks. :)

Rikard

> Jenny100 wrote in news:d32d2u0hvh@news3.newsguy.com:
>
>> Murray Peterson wrote:
>
>>> The .NET CLR (Common Language Runtime) implements what is known
>>> as a "virtual machine" -- it is a computer implemented completely
>>> in software.
>
> Aha! Then it was as I thought (but wasn't sure of). You also explained
> it much better than I ever could have done.
>
>> Sort of like DOSBox or ScummVM is a virtual machine?
>
> Yes!

Exactly like ScummVM and DOSBox -- only the machine is a different one,
with a different "native" instruction set.

>> But you can't install .NET on a Unix computer, can you?
>> Isn't it only for Microsoft Windows systems?
>
> Unless I'm misinformed, you're right, but there is Mono
> http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page
> http://www.apcmag.com/apc/v3.nsf/0/22F356ECB65244E2CA256F6A00107C19

Mono is the .NET machine implemented to run on a Unix platform.
Eventually (soon?), you should be able to run a .NET application (such as
Divided) under the Mono implementaton. They can't call it ".NET"
(copyright), but the virtual machine itself is the same.

--

Jenny100 wrote:
>> Also, it's probably
>> safer to be running .NET programs than native Windows programs.
>

> Safer how?

The .NET code is newer than the Windows native code, and written in an era
when Microsoft have actually started thinking about security. So the .NET
code is probably much better written than most Windows codes.

The programs that run on .NET are limited to doing what .NET lets them do,
and .NET has good protections when running things, much better than native
Windows programs. It can avoid the dangerous bits of Windows, or at least
access them in safe ways.