Sign in with
Your question
Solved

High ping with a fast internet connection

Last response: in Networking
October 19, 2012 6:46:49 PM

Hi guys. I have high ping in call of duty 4 modern warfare. I recently changed from an ADSL to Cable internet connection. The ADSL was slow 1.5 megabit and the cable connection is 20 megabits or 2 megabytes. I seem to have absolutely no problem with download speeds (max down speed is 2100 kb/s) or internet browsing and youtube videos load pretty quick even on 1080p but i seem to have high ping in CoD4. I play on the same server i was playing for a year and had a low ping of 30-50 with the ADSL connection. But now i get 80-120 and sometimes goes as far as 180 ping. I scanned my PC for viruses and found nothing, checked to see if any program is downloading anything and found nothing, updated punkbuster still nothing. I just don't know why am i getting high ping. Help!

Best solution

October 21, 2012 4:54:50 AM

Internet speed has nothing little to do with latency/ping times. Your new ISP might be more hops from your game server than your old ISP, and/or a link between you and the game server is overloaded. You can call your ISP help desk, but usually the only fix is to change ISPs. . .
October 21, 2012 9:32:30 AM

PhilFrisbie said:
Internet speed has nothing little to do with latency/ping times. Your new ISP might be more hops from your game server than your old ISP, and/or a link between you and the game server is overloaded. You can call your ISP help desk, but usually the only fix is to change ISPs. . .

Actually i got it fixed. I updated my graphics card drivers.
October 21, 2012 9:32:47 AM

Best answer selected by lazar_99.
!