Woodruff and the Schnibble

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

During the installation of Woodruff and the Schnibble, a Sierra message
popped up telling me that the game *required* 256 colors and 640x480
resolution. I finished the install, then found out that on my computer the
display options were limited to 16 or 32 bit color and 800x600 or 1024-768
resolution. A very nice person in the 24hoursupport.helpdesk newsgroup sent
me a little program, QuickRes2, not unlike the power toy for earlier
versions of Windows. Now I am able to adjust the display to accommodate the
game BUT am getting a Divide-by-Zero error message.

I have set the Compatibility Mode to reflect these requirements and have
tried it in W98 and W95 emulation. Still get the overflow message and am
bounced back to the desktop.

I have a Compaq Presario 5106, 1.2 GHz AMD. All drivers are up to date. Is
there any hope? I have my grandchildren coming for a visit and really wanted
this ready for a rainy day. Thanks.

Cassie wrote:
> During the installation of Woodruff and the Schnibble, a Sierra message
> popped up telling me that the game *required* 256 colors and 640x480
> resolution. I finished the install, then found out that on my computer the
> display options were limited to 16 or 32 bit color and 800x600 or 1024-768
> resolution. A very nice person in the 24hoursupport.helpdesk newsgroup sent
> me a little program, QuickRes2, not unlike the power toy for earlier
> versions of Windows. Now I am able to adjust the display to accommodate the
> game BUT am getting a Divide-by-Zero error message.

For some programs of the era, the problem is the the Turbo Pascal library.
You can try http://www.sentex.ca/~datanguayh/tppatch.zip (~9K)
(I forget where I originaly got it from, but I'll leave it there for a few
days.)

Run tppatch.exe on your game executable (after backing it up!) and it will
look for and fix that problem. Of course, it will only work if the game
was written in Turbo Pascal.
--
David Tanguay http://www.sentex.ca/~datanguayh/
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada [43.24N 80.29W]

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"Cassie" <castalides@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in news:fHMXd.12334$xT4.4092
@fe12.lga:

> Now I am able to adjust the display to accommodate the
> game BUT am getting a Divide-by-Zero error message.

That error is almost always because your commputer is too fast (software
timing loop). Try slowing it down a bunch with one of the available
slowdown tools.

--
Murray Peterson
Email: murray.spamtrap1@shaw.ca

"Murray Peterson" <mwp@home.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Cassie" <castalides@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in news:fHMXd.12334$xT4.4092
> @fe12.lga:
>
>> Now I am able to adjust the display to accommodate the
>> game BUT am getting a Divide-by-Zero error message.
>>

> That error is almost always because your commputer is too fast (software
> timing loop). Try slowing it down a bunch with one of the available
> slowdown tools.

Murray, I thought the slow-down programs were for DOS. What would work with
XP?

> "Murray Peterson" <mwp@home.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Cassie" <castalides@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in
>> news:fHMXd.12334$xT4.4092 @fe12.lga:
>>
>>> Now I am able to adjust the display to accommodate the
>>> game BUT am getting a Divide-by-Zero error message.
>>>

>> That error is almost always because your commputer is too fast
>> (software timing loop). Try slowing it down a bunch with one of the
>> available slowdown tools.
>>
> Murray, I thought the slow-down programs were for DOS. What would work
> with XP?

They have worked for me in a shell window (win98 though). I don't know how
well they wrk under XP. You might have to run the program under DOSBOX

--
Murray Peterson
Email: murray.spamtrap1@shaw.ca

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"David Adrien Tanguay" <datanguayh@sentex.cookie.can> wrote in message
<<snip>>
> For some programs of the era, the problem is the the Turbo Pascal library.
> You can try http://www.sentex.ca/~datanguayh/tppatch.zip (~9K)
> (I forget where I originaly got it from, but I'll leave it there for a few
> days.)
>
> Run tppatch.exe on your game executable (after backing it up!) and it will
> look for and fix that problem. Of course, it will only work if the game
> was written in Turbo Pascal.
> --
Thank you, David. Got the file; will try the patch and let you know if
successful :)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"David Adrien Tanguay" <datanguayh@sentex.cookie.can> wrote in message
<<snip>>
> For some programs of the era, the problem is the the Turbo Pascal library.
> You can try http://www.sentex.ca/~datanguayh/tppatch.zip (~9K)
> (I forget where I originaly got it from, but I'll leave it there for a few
> days.)
>
> Run tppatch.exe on your game executable (after backing it up!) and it will
> look for and fix that problem. Of course, it will only work if the game
> was written in Turbo Pascal.
> --
Well, I tried it, David, but still get *Divide By Zero or Overflow Error*
and bounce back to the desktop. I had thought about setting up a dual boot
the next time I have to format the hard drive, but it sounds like there will
always be a speed problem. :-(

I wonder if anyone here has used the MoSlo program, the new one for Windows.
There is no demo or trial available and it is a lot of money to plunk down
on that pig in a poke.

Cassie wrote:
> "David Adrien Tanguay" <datanguayh@sentex.cookie.can> wrote in message
> <<snip>>
>
>>For some programs of the era, the problem is the the Turbo Pascal library.
>>You can try http://www.sentex.ca/~datanguayh/tppatch.zip (~9K)
>>(I forget where I originaly got it from, but I'll leave it there for a few
>>days.)
>>
>>Run tppatch.exe on your game executable (after backing it up!) and it will
>>look for and fix that problem. Of course, it will only work if the game
>>was written in Turbo Pascal.
>>--
>
> Well, I tried it, David, but still get *Divide By Zero or Overflow Error*
> and bounce back to the desktop. I had thought about setting up a dual boot
> the next time I have to format the hard drive, but it sounds like there will
> always be a speed problem. :-(
>
> I wonder if anyone here has used the MoSlo program, the new one for Windows.
> There is no demo or trial available and it is a lot of money to plunk down
> on that pig in a poke.

Perhaps using both Turbo.exe and Throttle will work.
Both are programs for slowing your PC. If your PC is really
fast and your DOS program is really old, you may need both.
They work by different strategies so can both be used
at once.

Turbo is here
http://www.geocities.com/kulhain/

Throttle is here
http://www.oldskool.org/pc/throttle

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

mrlg <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:xA_Xd.335$qf2.11
@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> Throttle is here
> http://www.oldskool.org/pc/throttle

I had forgotten about Throttle -- it's a good first choice because the
slowdown is completely smooth -- no jerky mouse or any other ill effects.

--
Murray Peterson
Email: murray.spamtrap1@shaw.ca

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

I got this message when trying to install Woodruff on Windows XP:

16 bit Windows Subsystem
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

JP de la Cruz via GamesKB.com wrote in

> I got this message when trying to install Woodruff on Windows XP:

> 16 bit Windows Subsystem
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not
> suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
>
> Does anybody know how I can bypass this? I already tried the
> Program Compatibility Wizard, and it did not work. Please! I
> need your help!!! I can't even install the game!!!

I am not familiar with that message or what it means, but I know that
the autoexec.nt file mentioned is a text file used when DOS or 16-bit
Windows programs are run. (If you played games in the DOS days, you
recognise autoexec.bat. This is sort of a replacement for that.) You
could open it in a text editor (e.g. Notepad) and take a look and see
if there's anything strange there.

Rikard

Rikard Peterson wrote:
> JP de la Cruz via GamesKB.com wrote in
>

>>I got this message when trying to install Woodruff on Windows XP:
>>
>>_______________________________________________________________
>>16 bit Windows Subsystem
>>_______________________________________________________________
>>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not
>>suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
>>_______________________________________________________________
>>
>>Does anybody know how I can bypass this? I already tried the
>>Program Compatibility Wizard, and it did not work. Please! I
>>need your help!!! I can't even install the game!!!
>

> I am not familiar with that message or what it means, but I know that
> the autoexec.nt file mentioned is a text file used when DOS or 16-bit
> Windows programs are run. (If you played games in the DOS days, you
> recognise autoexec.bat. This is sort of a replacement for that.) You
> could open it in a text editor (e.g. Notepad) and take a look and see
> if there's anything strange there.
>
> Rikard

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/16-bit-MS-DOS-Subsystem-Error-Quick-Fix.shtml

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

You could also take a look at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
This worked for me when I had the same problem.

Mike