Moment of Silence - TAC version

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Is anyone else currently playing the TAC version of Moment of Silence?
It comes on 4 CD's and installs fully to the hard drive. You
don't need a CD in the drive to play, which is nice.

"Jenny100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Is anyone else currently playing the TAC version of Moment of Silence?
> It comes on 4 CD's and installs fully to the hard drive. You
> don't need a CD in the drive to play, which is nice.

What is TAC?

Cassie wrote:
> "Jenny100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>Is anyone else currently playing the TAC version of Moment of Silence?
>>It comes on 4 CD's and installs fully to the hard drive. You
>>don't need a CD in the drive to play, which is nice.
>>

> What is TAC?

The Adventure Company

Susan

mrlg <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Cassie wrote:
>> "Jenny100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Is anyone else currently playing the TAC version of Moment of Silence?
>>>It comes on 4 CD's and installs fully to the hard drive. You
>>>don't need a CD in the drive to play, which is nice.
>>>

>> What is TAC?
>>

>The Adventure Company

I'm playing TAC 4CD version TMOS. First impressions are that it is a nice
immersive (why doesn't this word exist yet?) adventure but...

I started experiencing a few video/audio freezes/lockups early on that have
grown almost progressively worse to where the game has become unplayable at
a very exciting point in the story.

Because I have tested several other games I have been playing and they
continue to work fine I strongly suspect this is yet another example of
buying a game before the first patch sort of thing. If you are having
freezing issues in the game PLEASE let TAC know so they will get it fixed.
When I talked to them yesterday I appeared to be the first person to ever
tell them TMOS had freeze problems, at least on my system. None of their
troubleshooting steps had any lasting effect and rolling my nVidia driver
back from the most recent beta to the minimum version TAC recommended made
no effect. One friend has already suggested I do a clean XP install which
makes me sick thinking of.

Also...there is some pixel hunting and the usual going back and forth to
areas already visited in order to do something different to trigger new
events.

I'm about half-way through the game maybe and I just know that if TAC could
get the game cleaned up with a patch so it will run on my PC I will enjoy
finishing it.

I'll be happy when adventures and RPG start coming out solid on the Xbox
and PS machines so I can trash gaming on the PC and forget about all the
graphic and audio issues suffered over the years. :)

Susan

Susan wrote:

> I'm playing TAC 4CD version TMOS. First impressions are that it is a nice
> immersive (why doesn't this word exist yet?) adventure but...
>
> I started experiencing a few video/audio freezes/lockups early on that have
> grown almost progressively worse to where the game has become unplayable at
> a very exciting point in the story.

I haven't had any freezes, but then I haven't come to a very
exciting point in the story yet. I reached the point where you
visit SETI last night, which isn't very far into the game.

> Because I have tested several other games I have been playing and they
> continue to work fine I strongly suspect this is yet another example of
> buying a game before the first patch sort of thing. If you are having
> freezing issues in the game PLEASE let TAC know so they will get it fixed.
> When I talked to them yesterday I appeared to be the first person to ever
> tell them TMOS had freeze problems, at least on my system.

Well it's fresh out - only just arrived in my local Gamestop a couple
of days ago (Tuesday). Probably not many people are playing it yet.

> None of their
> troubleshooting steps had any lasting effect and rolling my nVidia driver
> back from the most recent beta to the minimum version TAC recommended made
> no effect. One friend has already suggested I do a clean XP install which
> makes me sick thinking of.

I'm playing on Win 2000.

> Also...there is some pixel hunting and the usual going back and forth to
> areas already visited in order to do something different to trigger new
> events.

New conversation options too. I don't like the conversation system
where you can only see some of your unasked questions at the same
time. It's too easy to miss stuff. I think the conversation system
in TLJ was better.

> I'm about half-way through the game maybe and I just know that if TAC could
> get the game cleaned up with a patch so it will run on my PC I will enjoy
> finishing it.

You're way past where I am.

> I'll be happy when adventures and RPG start coming out solid on the Xbox
> and PS machines so I can trash gaming on the PC and forget about all the
> graphic and audio issues suffered over the years. :)

That would be nice, but I don't see many adventures coming out
on consoles any time soon. Still Life, Dreamfall, and Fahrenheit
(or Indigo Prophecy or whatever they're calling it now) are
supposed to come out on console though. So maybe it's the start
of a trend for larger companies.

Jenny100 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:Ah_Xd.250$qW.83
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> Is anyone else currently playing the TAC version of Moment of Silence?
> It comes on 4 CD's and installs fully to the hard drive. You
> don't need a CD in the drive to play, which is nice.

No starforce protection? I might actually go out and buy it then.

--
Murray Peterson
Email: murray.spamtrap1@shaw.ca

Murray Peterson wrote:
> Jenny100 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:Ah_Xd.250$qW.83
> @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:
>

>>Is anyone else currently playing the TAC version of Moment of Silence?
>>It comes on 4 CD's and installs fully to the hard drive. You
>>don't need a CD in the drive to play, which is nice.
>

> No starforce protection? I might actually go out and buy it then.

None at all on the The Adventure Company (TAC) version.
(really nice of them).

Susan

Susan <UCE@null.invalid> wrote:

>Because I have tested several other games I have been playing and they
>continue to work fine I strongly suspect this is yet another example of
>buying a game before the first patch sort of thing.

I may have put my foot half-way in my mouth on this. After some work on
the subject today it looks more like I could indeed have a weak power
supply. Mine is rated at 300W but according to one shop if I'm running an
nVidia 6800, two hard drives, and a SoundBlaster Live card 350W is an
absolute minimum and 500W is what they recommend--especially if I might one
day add still more into the box. There is a good chance I haven't damaged
anything even though it has been stressed as none of the capacitors appear
bulging out. Apparently both under and over voltage can stress capacitors.
I'd like to understand just a little more on why this is--maybe frequency
and heat? Also learned that hitting reset so many times getting the
machine up and running to the Desktop can cause corrupt Windows XP files so
after replacing the power supply it looks like another clean install of XP
is in order.

Anyone want to validate any of this? Thanks. It will be great if I pull
this off for the price of a power supply and can continue The Moment of
Silence.

>If you are having
>freezing issues in the game PLEASE let TAC know so they will get it fixed.
>When I talked to them yesterday I appeared to be the first person to ever
>tell them TMOS had freeze problems, at least on my system. None of their
>troubleshooting steps had any lasting effect and rolling my nVidia driver
>back from the most recent beta to the minimum version TAC recommended made
>no effect. One friend has already suggested I do a clean XP install which
>makes me sick thinking of.
>
>Also...there is some pixel hunting and the usual going back and forth to
>areas already visited in order to do something different to trigger new
>events.
>
>I'm about half-way through the game maybe and I just know that if TAC could
>get the game cleaned up with a patch so it will run on my PC I will enjoy
>finishing it.
>
>I'll be happy when adventures and RPG start coming out solid on the Xbox
>and PS machines so I can trash gaming on the PC and forget about all the
>graphic and audio issues suffered over the years. :)
>
>Susan

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Susan <UCE@null.invalid> wrote in news:ee52319lhgft0tv6ce93obapvm9rb7hko9@
4ax.com:

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
www.extremeoverclocking.com/articles/guides/Power_Supply_Guide_2.html

--

Murray Peterson <mwp@home.com.invalid> wrote:

>Susan <UCE@null.invalid> wrote in news:ee52319lhgft0tv6ce93obapvm9rb7hko9@
>4ax.com:
>
>> Anyone want to validate any of this?
>
>http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
>www.extremeoverclocking.com/articles/guides/Power_Supply_Guide_2.html

Neat info. Based on the Power Wattage Calculator my 300W supply is trying
to go 110% all the time--and may be no wonder why I've been having this
outstanding freezing problem booting and playing some games. I figured I
need 325W. I'm working with a local computer store and will likely pick up
a 500W $60 supply tomorrow morning. It will certainly be worth that price
if it totally restores the system robustness.

Thanks Murray.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"Jenny100" <nospam@nospam.com> schreef in bericht
> Murray Peterson wrote:
> > Jenny100 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:Ah_Xd.250$qW.83
> > @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:
> >

> >>Is anyone else currently playing the TAC version of Moment of Silence?
> >>It comes on 4 CD's and installs fully to the hard drive. You
> >>don't need a CD in the drive to play, which is nice.
> >

> > No starforce protection? I might actually go out and buy it then.
> >

> None at all on the The Adventure Company (TAC) version.
> (really nice of them).

But sadly enough not on the Dutch (European?) DVD-version...; s***force all
the way! :-( House of Tales is the distributor. But jippiee it works fine
on my system.
Greetings, E-Cie.

Susan

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Turns out I had major trouble going on with the power supply no doubt and
the mainboard. Have now finished building up the Desktop with a 500W
supply and a MSI KM4AM-V mainboard and The Moment of Silence is ready to
finish playing with no freezing. The nVidia 6800 apparently wasn't damaged
by the inadequate or malfunctioning supply issues that ruined the
mainboard. It's nice starting it all up once with no resets. :) I figure
now that I've been gaming with this worsening problem for over six months
and probably dates back to when the video card prior to the 6800 "failed".

Susan--Ready for Dreamfall!

Susan

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Warning...you may read **spoilers** into the following...

Well...The Moment of Silence may have driven me to fix hardware trouble
with my 'puter but in the end it was hardly worth playing imho. It has to
be one of the poorest game endings I have experienced in recent memory with
no closure of anything except of course that humans are saved once again.
Think of reading an interesting adventure where interesting characters are
developed. In the last paragraph of the book the hero is back at his
apartment after launching four nuclear missiles from Alaska that fly to
Manhattan and at the last second divert and fly all the way back to Alaska
where they explode--The End. What happened to a dozen characters? What
happened to the "police state"? Bother!

Susan

HaSh1sH
HaSh1sH's Profile: http://www.video-game-forum.net/member.php?userid=94