Moment of Silence - TAC version

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Is anyone else currently playing the TAC version of Moment of Silence?
It comes on 4 CD's and installs fully to the hard drive. You
don't need a CD in the drive to play, which is nice.
13 answers Last reply
More about moment silence version
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "Jenny100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Is anyone else currently playing the TAC version of Moment of Silence?
    > It comes on 4 CD's and installs fully to the hard drive. You
    > don't need a CD in the drive to play, which is nice.

    What is TAC?
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Cassie wrote:
    > "Jenny100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Is anyone else currently playing the TAC version of Moment of Silence?
    >>It comes on 4 CD's and installs fully to the hard drive. You
    >>don't need a CD in the drive to play, which is nice.
    >>

    > What is TAC?

    The Adventure Company
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    mrlg <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Cassie wrote:
    >> "Jenny100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Is anyone else currently playing the TAC version of Moment of Silence?
    >>>It comes on 4 CD's and installs fully to the hard drive. You
    >>>don't need a CD in the drive to play, which is nice.
    >>>

    >> What is TAC?
    >>

    >The Adventure Company

    I'm playing TAC 4CD version TMOS. First impressions are that it is a nice
    immersive (why doesn't this word exist yet?) adventure but...

    I started experiencing a few video/audio freezes/lockups early on that have
    grown almost progressively worse to where the game has become unplayable at
    a very exciting point in the story.

    Because I have tested several other games I have been playing and they
    continue to work fine I strongly suspect this is yet another example of
    buying a game before the first patch sort of thing. If you are having
    freezing issues in the game PLEASE let TAC know so they will get it fixed.
    When I talked to them yesterday I appeared to be the first person to ever
    tell them TMOS had freeze problems, at least on my system. None of their
    troubleshooting steps had any lasting effect and rolling my nVidia driver
    back from the most recent beta to the minimum version TAC recommended made
    no effect. One friend has already suggested I do a clean XP install which
    makes me sick thinking of.

    Also...there is some pixel hunting and the usual going back and forth to
    areas already visited in order to do something different to trigger new
    events.

    I'm about half-way through the game maybe and I just know that if TAC could
    get the game cleaned up with a patch so it will run on my PC I will enjoy
    finishing it.

    I'll be happy when adventures and RPG start coming out solid on the Xbox
    and PS machines so I can trash gaming on the PC and forget about all the
    graphic and audio issues suffered over the years. :)

    Susan
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Susan wrote:

    > I'm playing TAC 4CD version TMOS. First impressions are that it is a nice
    > immersive (why doesn't this word exist yet?) adventure but...
    >
    > I started experiencing a few video/audio freezes/lockups early on that have
    > grown almost progressively worse to where the game has become unplayable at
    > a very exciting point in the story.

    I haven't had any freezes, but then I haven't come to a very
    exciting point in the story yet. I reached the point where you
    visit SETI last night, which isn't very far into the game.

    > Because I have tested several other games I have been playing and they
    > continue to work fine I strongly suspect this is yet another example of
    > buying a game before the first patch sort of thing. If you are having
    > freezing issues in the game PLEASE let TAC know so they will get it fixed.
    > When I talked to them yesterday I appeared to be the first person to ever
    > tell them TMOS had freeze problems, at least on my system.

    Well it's fresh out - only just arrived in my local Gamestop a couple
    of days ago (Tuesday). Probably not many people are playing it yet.

    > None of their
    > troubleshooting steps had any lasting effect and rolling my nVidia driver
    > back from the most recent beta to the minimum version TAC recommended made
    > no effect. One friend has already suggested I do a clean XP install which
    > makes me sick thinking of.

    I'm playing on Win 2000.

    > Also...there is some pixel hunting and the usual going back and forth to
    > areas already visited in order to do something different to trigger new
    > events.

    New conversation options too. I don't like the conversation system
    where you can only see some of your unasked questions at the same
    time. It's too easy to miss stuff. I think the conversation system
    in TLJ was better.

    > I'm about half-way through the game maybe and I just know that if TAC could
    > get the game cleaned up with a patch so it will run on my PC I will enjoy
    > finishing it.

    You're way past where I am.

    > I'll be happy when adventures and RPG start coming out solid on the Xbox
    > and PS machines so I can trash gaming on the PC and forget about all the
    > graphic and audio issues suffered over the years. :)

    That would be nice, but I don't see many adventures coming out
    on consoles any time soon. Still Life, Dreamfall, and Fahrenheit
    (or Indigo Prophecy or whatever they're calling it now) are
    supposed to come out on console though. So maybe it's the start
    of a trend for larger companies.

    > Susan
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Jenny100 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:Ah_Xd.250$qW.83
    @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > Is anyone else currently playing the TAC version of Moment of Silence?
    > It comes on 4 CD's and installs fully to the hard drive. You
    > don't need a CD in the drive to play, which is nice.

    No starforce protection? I might actually go out and buy it then.

    --
    Murray Peterson
    Email: murray.spamtrap1@shaw.ca

    Murray Peterson wrote:
    > Jenny100 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:Ah_Xd.250$qW.83
    > @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:
    >

    >>Is anyone else currently playing the TAC version of Moment of Silence?
    >>It comes on 4 CD's and installs fully to the hard drive. You
    >>don't need a CD in the drive to play, which is nice.
    >

    > No starforce protection? I might actually go out and buy it then.

    None at all on the The Adventure Company (TAC) version.
    (really nice of them).
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Susan <UCE@null.invalid> wrote:

    >Because I have tested several other games I have been playing and they
    >continue to work fine I strongly suspect this is yet another example of
    >buying a game before the first patch sort of thing.

    I may have put my foot half-way in my mouth on this. After some work on
    the subject today it looks more like I could indeed have a weak power
    supply. Mine is rated at 300W but according to one shop if I'm running an
    nVidia 6800, two hard drives, and a SoundBlaster Live card 350W is an
    absolute minimum and 500W is what they recommend--especially if I might one
    day add still more into the box. There is a good chance I haven't damaged
    anything even though it has been stressed as none of the capacitors appear
    bulging out. Apparently both under and over voltage can stress capacitors.
    I'd like to understand just a little more on why this is--maybe frequency
    and heat? Also learned that hitting reset so many times getting the
    machine up and running to the Desktop can cause corrupt Windows XP files so
    after replacing the power supply it looks like another clean install of XP
    is in order.

    Anyone want to validate any of this? Thanks. It will be great if I pull
    this off for the price of a power supply and can continue The Moment of
    Silence.

    >If you are having
    >freezing issues in the game PLEASE let TAC know so they will get it fixed.
    >When I talked to them yesterday I appeared to be the first person to ever
    >tell them TMOS had freeze problems, at least on my system. None of their
    >troubleshooting steps had any lasting effect and rolling my nVidia driver
    >back from the most recent beta to the minimum version TAC recommended made
    >no effect. One friend has already suggested I do a clean XP install which
    >makes me sick thinking of.
    >
    >Also...there is some pixel hunting and the usual going back and forth to
    >areas already visited in order to do something different to trigger new
    >events.
    >
    >I'm about half-way through the game maybe and I just know that if TAC could
    >get the game cleaned up with a patch so it will run on my PC I will enjoy
    >finishing it.
    >
    >I'll be happy when adventures and RPG start coming out solid on the Xbox
    >and PS machines so I can trash gaming on the PC and forget about all the
    >graphic and audio issues suffered over the years. :)
    >
    >Susan
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Susan <UCE@null.invalid> wrote in news:ee52319lhgft0tv6ce93obapvm9rb7hko9@
    4ax.com:

    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
    www.extremeoverclocking.com/articles/guides/Power_Supply_Guide_2.html

    --
    Murray Peterson
    Email: murray.spamtrap1@shaw.ca
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Murray Peterson <mwp@home.com.invalid> wrote:

    >Susan <UCE@null.invalid> wrote in news:ee52319lhgft0tv6ce93obapvm9rb7hko9@
    >4ax.com:
    >
    >> Anyone want to validate any of this?
    >
    >http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
    >www.extremeoverclocking.com/articles/guides/Power_Supply_Guide_2.html

    Neat info. Based on the Power Wattage Calculator my 300W supply is trying
    to go 110% all the time--and may be no wonder why I've been having this
    outstanding freezing problem booting and playing some games. I figured I
    need 325W. I'm working with a local computer store and will likely pick up
    a 500W $60 supply tomorrow morning. It will certainly be worth that price
    if it totally restores the system robustness.

    Thanks Murray.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "Jenny100" <nospam@nospam.com> schreef in bericht
    > Murray Peterson wrote:
    > > Jenny100 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:Ah_Xd.250$qW.83
    > > @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:
    > >

    > >>Is anyone else currently playing the TAC version of Moment of Silence?
    > >>It comes on 4 CD's and installs fully to the hard drive. You
    > >>don't need a CD in the drive to play, which is nice.
    > >

    > > No starforce protection? I might actually go out and buy it then.
    > >

    > None at all on the The Adventure Company (TAC) version.
    > (really nice of them).

    But sadly enough not on the Dutch (European?) DVD-version...; s***force all
    the way! :-( House of Tales is the distributor. But jippiee it works fine
    on my system.
    Greetings, E-Cie.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Turns out I had major trouble going on with the power supply no doubt and
    the mainboard. Have now finished building up the Desktop with a 500W
    supply and a MSI KM4AM-V mainboard and The Moment of Silence is ready to
    finish playing with no freezing. The nVidia 6800 apparently wasn't damaged
    by the inadequate or malfunctioning supply issues that ruined the
    mainboard. It's nice starting it all up once with no resets. :) I figure
    now that I've been gaming with this worsening problem for over six months
    and probably dates back to when the video card prior to the 6800 "failed".

    Susan--Ready for Dreamfall!
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Warning...you may read **spoilers** into the following...

    Well...The Moment of Silence may have driven me to fix hardware trouble
    with my 'puter but in the end it was hardly worth playing imho. It has to
    be one of the poorest game endings I have experienced in recent memory with
    no closure of anything except of course that humans are saved once again.
    Think of reading an interesting adventure where interesting characters are
    developed. In the last paragraph of the book the hero is back at his
    apartment after launching four nuclear missiles from Alaska that fly to
    Manhattan and at the last second divert and fly all the way back to Alaska
    where they explode--The End. What happened to a dozen characters? What
    happened to the "police state"? Bother!

    Susan
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

[...]

    HaSh1sH
    HaSh1sH's Profile: http://www.video-game-forum.net/member.php?userid=94
    View this thread: http://www.video-game-forum.net/showthread.php?t=15341

PC gaming Games CD-Rom Hard Drives IBM Video Games