How do I check to see if DMA is being used?

oymd

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
when i go to:
System Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
primary and secondary controllers. "Use DMA if available" should be there....but its not....there is no " advanced tab"...
i'm sure i installed the chipset drivers first...then intel ATA driver...then the latest application accelerator...
so what's the problem????

running XPPro..on an ABITTH7( 850 ) 128MB..1.5GHZP4...IBM60GXP

Demosthenes

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
The application accelerator should be on your start menu. Check it to see the DMA status of your devices.

With the application accelerator installed, the DMA options are not available under the properties of the IDE channels in the device manager.

Demo

<font color=purple>"The one-eyed woman in the Land of the Blind hates Braille."</font color=purple>

One other way of telling is by running Sisoft Sandra on the HDDs benchmark.

Without DMA, a customer's drive I looked at was chalking up 5200 bandwidth. With DMA it went up to 36000. Needless to say, my customer was pleased.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>

G

The proper way to check under xp is to look in Device manager. Go there. Right click the primary or secondary controller.select properties. under the advanced settis tab. you can set the DMA settings and everything.

Demosthenes

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Ordinarily, that would be true. But <b>not</b> on a system with an Intel chipset that has the Intel Application Accelerator installed, which is the replacement for the Ultra ATA Storage Driver. The version of the operating system doesn't matter, as long as it is newer than Windows 98.

Demo

<font color=purple>"The one-eyed woman in the Land of the Blind hates Braille."</font color=purple>