Phase Correction

Last response: in Home Audio
September 29, 2004 10:05:10 PM

Does anyone know of a plugin for pro tools that can handle phase
CORRECTION. That is, audio slightly out of phase with itself?

CEDAR AUDIO has a standalone module but only for windows...

http://www.cedar-audio.com/products/cambridge/camphase....

Thanks,

soundmax

More about : phase correction

Anonymous
September 30, 2004 12:37:57 PM

In article <3c4f0f9.0409291705.42906079@posting.google.com> capnmax@gmail.com writes:

> Does anyone know of a plugin for pro tools that can handle phase
> CORRECTION. That is, audio slightly out of phase with itself?

Something can't be out of phase with itself (by definition).

What's the actual problem you're trying to correct? The DAW approach
to this is to find tracks that have program material in common and
just slide one track in time relative to the other until the problem
is fixed. People with a lot of patience to this with drum tracks where
you have, for example, enough pickup of the snare drum in the
overheads so that when they're combined with the snare mic, you get
comb filtering.

Since the sound hits the overhead mics later than it hits the snare
mic, you'd have to delay the snare mic by a few milliseconds so that
the hit lines up on both tracks. You may even move one of the overhead
mics so that the snare is perfectly aligned in both of them.

Cost in hardware and software = zero. Cost in time = whatever it
takes. Bonus - you get to listen to every change you make and can
decide whether it's beneficial and you should leave it or if it
doesn't help (or sounds worse) and you should undo it.

September 30, 2004 12:45:19 PM

SoundMax <capnmax@gmail.com> wrote:
>Does anyone know of a plugin for pro tools that can handle phase
>CORRECTION. That is, audio slightly out of phase with itself?

Huh? How can audio be out of phase with itself?

Are you trying to deal with azimuth error between channels, or are you
trying to deal with comb filtering?
--scott

September 30, 2004 3:13:56 PM

"SoundMax" <capnmax@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know of a plugin for pro tools that can handle phase
> CORRECTION. That is, audio slightly out of phase with itself?
>
> CEDAR AUDIO has a standalone module but only for windows...
>
> http://www.cedar-audio.com/products/cambridge/camphase....
>
> Thanks,
>
> soundmax
============================
Hey s, you talkin about two independently recorded tracks?
-bg-
--
www.thelittlecanadaheadphoneband.ca
www.lchb.ca

SoundMax wrote:

> Does anyone know of a plugin for pro tools that can handle phase
> CORRECTION. That is, audio slightly out of phase with itself?

How can this be? What audible sysmptoms led you to that conclusion?

--
ha
Anonymous

> SoundMax <capnmax@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Does anyone know of a plugin for pro tools that can handle phase
> >CORRECTION. That is, audio slightly out of phase with itself?
>
> Huh? How can audio be out of phase with itself?

Well if it's phase distortion it can be.. in a sense.
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 2:29:42 AM

David Grant <NO_SPAM_PLEASE_0dg4@qlink.queensu.ca> wrote:
>"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
>> SoundMax <capnmax@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >Does anyone know of a plugin for pro tools that can handle phase
>> >CORRECTION. That is, audio slightly out of phase with itself?
>>
>> Huh? How can audio be out of phase with itself?
>>
>Well if it's phase distortion it can be.. in a sense.

Phase distortion is usually just a sloppy way of thinking about group
delay. And it's usually not an issue (but there are gadgets out there
like all-pass networks for when it is).
--scott