tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Hi there,
Im building a system out of spares and ive just added a lucent win modem. When i turned on the comp it all installed ok in windows. However, when I restart the comp freezes at the win 98 load up screen. I wondered whether this was power but it want (tried 350 watt PS) and have come to the conclusion that it must be irq. In bios i tried changing a few things. so....

P n P OS - On/Off??
Should I auto the IRQ's?
Option for modem IRQ, doesnt effect the irq at all?

Im a bit confused and it seems that its really unstable. its all fine without the modem and the strange thing is that if i reset after it freezes the modem doesnt appear in the startup irq list, or windows system devices. but does appear in windows modems. However if I turn off the comp completely it reappears, i can get into windows, it reinstalls but if I turn of and then on it freezes again..

can someone plz help me?

UPDATE: I just took out the modem and decided to put in an ISA SB16 card to test if it was power etc. anyway.. the sound card doesnt appear in bios irq list, but when i get into windows, it starts reinstalling everthing. the floppy controller, the sound card and some other stuff. But after this everything works perfecly, no random craashs etc etc.
BTW, before when I started up, the video card would produce bright screen flashes after the ide detection, it doesnt do this anymore...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tombance on 09/27/02 10:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If it's a 1646T00 modem I suggest you download the driver from my website, <A HREF="http://www.crashman.dns2go.com" target="_new">http://www.crashman.dns2go.com</A>

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
if crashes sugestion doesnt work a quick fix would be to dump the winmodem, they came straight from hell.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Thats the thing crash, i did use your drivers, becauase win 98 doesnt natively support the LT winmodem that I have. The only problem is when I do install the drivers its still all unstable.
BTW, ive just tried installing the modem in addition to the vid card and sound card and I no longer get any video output. Im beginning to think maybe the modem is bust as ive never had this sort of problem before.

My sig's faster than yours, and it overclocks better too....

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
I dont really want to dump it as this system is not for me, but I aim to sell it. I cant imagine the everyday comp noob knowing the difference between a hardware and winmodem. Thats also why I put in a PCI SiS 6326 card :)

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
YESSSS!, it works. I moved it to a new PCI slot and the comp gets into windows properly. The irq is still 11 for the 'simple COMM. Device' and it seems a little unstable but it gets in every time. The air coming from the back of the PSU seems quite hot so I reckon I might have been overdrawing from it, which caused the instability. It was a 300watt ATX no-name on a celeron 400, sis 6326, 128mb SDRAM, etc etc. ah well, it works. Thanks for all your help crash and jhiggs (sry if thats not ur name, i cant remember lol).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sounds like a resource conflict, probably IRQ sharing. Have you tried changing slots for that modem?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
GODDAMM MODEM PIECE OF SH*T!!!!!
SORRY All, im a bit pissed off because when I finally sorted out the problem I ran into another. The modems installed but for some reason I wont connect to the net (iw wont dial, i hear no dial tone), windows displays the 'check your modem is switched on' message. Anyway, ive come to the conclusion either the drivers arent right or the modems bust. Either way Ive had enough and have decided to chuck it. Hopefully should get enough for it on ebay to get an ISA hardware modem.
Another thing. Apparently my bios hasnt assigned an IRQ to USB... Isnt this a bit strange since all motherboards that have USB ports should have bios support for it right? Anyway I cant be arsed to update it because its an OEM board and its not gonna be mine, I dont imagine the sort of person Im selling it to even knowing what USB means.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Exactly, I reckon a 33.6k should d enough to sell this for me. Ill just put 'internet ready' in the ad and itll sell extremely quick ('Wow I can emal with it!').