Decca (UK) piano sound from the 1970'ties

Last response: in Home Audio
September 30, 2004 12:40:30 PM

Anyone here know if Decca's balance engineers (Like Kenneth Wilkinson and
John Dunkerley) had a regular mike set up for recording piano? -- I have
some Rachmaniov pieces with Vlad. Ashkenazy recorded at All Sanits Church,
Petersham (UK) in 1974-75 that has a sound that I like and would like to
fiddle around with.

Can't imagine that they used the ol'tree, so some hint on equipment used
would be interesting. A pair of spaced M-50 would be my wild guess..

/ptr

---
September 30, 2004 7:32:10 PM

Are you talking about the Rachmaninov preludes? Funny, I've wondered
the same exact thing, as they did a wonderful job recording those.
I would also be really interested in what they did on those Ashkenazy
recordings.

What other techniques did Decca use, other than the tree? What mics?

Dan

plundin <ptr@musiker.nu> wrote:
: Anyone here know if Decca's balance engineers (Like Kenneth Wilkinson and
: John Dunkerley) had a regular mike set up for recording piano? -- I have
: some Rachmaniov pieces with Vlad. Ashkenazy recorded at All Sanits Church,
: Petersham (UK) in 1974-75 that has a sound that I like and would like to
: fiddle around with.

: Can't imagine that they used the ol'tree, so some hint on equipment used
: would be interesting. A pair of spaced M-50 would be my wild guess..

: /ptr

: ---

October 1, 2004 1:09:29 PM

"plundin" <ptr@musiker.nu> wrote in message news:<2EP6d.4538$d5.35505@newsb.telia.net>...
> Anyone here know if Decca's balance engineers (Like Kenneth Wilkinson and
> John Dunkerley) had a regular mike set up for recording piano? -- I have
> some Rachmaniov pieces with Vlad. Ashkenazy recorded at All Sanits Church,
> Petersham (UK) in 1974-75 that has a sound that I like and would like to
> fiddle around with.
>
> Can't imagine that they used the ol'tree, so some hint on equipment used
> would be interesting. A pair of spaced M-50 would be my wild guess..
>
> /ptr
>
> Was the piano Steinway or Bosendorfer?
they record totally different
October 1, 2004 9:03:14 PM

maxdm <maxdimario@aliceposta.it> wrote:

> Was the piano Steinway or Bosendorfer?
> they record totally different

I have no idea about the recordings, but watched a documentary (long
ago) about Steinway where they bragged about how they serviced his
Steinway in his home.

sincerely
Lars

--
lars farm // http://www.farm.se
Anonymous

"maxdm" <maxdimario@aliceposta.it> skrev i meddelandet

>Was the piano Steinway or Bosendorfer?
>they record totally different

The CD booklet do not telll that story, I'd expect Steinway, but someware in
the back of my head says that Askenazy had a contract with Baldwin in those
years?

As for it beein either, I'm fully aware of their diffrences having worke4s
with both brands and a few others. My interst lies with what technique was
used by the Decca men.

Dan" <spaaaam@spam.net> skrev i meddelandet
> Are you talking about the Rachmaninov preludes? Funny, I've wondered
> the same exact thing, as they did a wonderful job recording those.

Yeas, my dounle CD has 24 prelusdes and the second sonata!

/ptr

---