Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Slow LAN speed. 10mbps

Last response: in Networking
October 20, 2012 5:41:06 AM

Hi guys.
My first time posting here, so apology up front if I skipped some details (please lemme know ^^)

My internet sub is 6Mbps. But my lan speed is 10mbps constantly.
Browsing and streaming and everything is slowww.
At first it was fast as it's meant to be, but after I formatted my PC a couple of times, the LAN speed just dropped.
I tried reinstalling the driver thrice to no avail.

My spec :
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz
ASRock P67 Extreme6 (CPUSocket)
1279MB GeForce GTX 570 (MSI)

My cable is short so I used a connector in between, does it somehow affects the speed?
If i buy a LAN card, will it help? And if it does, any recommended brand?

Thank you in advance ^^

P.S : My networking skill is zero :'( 

More about : slow lan speed 10mbps

a b X LAN
October 20, 2012 1:31:55 PM

I would not buy an LAN card, your onboard LAN should work fine. I will assume that you installed the latest correct LAN driver.

I would first try a new Ethernet cable without any extra connectors, get one with extra length and get a CAT 5e or CAT6 cable that will support gigabit as they are really no more expensive. You can get a 25 to 100 foot cable on Amazon for around $10 (or less).

Try running http://www.speedtest.net/ with a new cable.

Also, do you have anything else in the line other than the connector and two short cables to the cable or dsl modem, like a separate router?
m
l
October 21, 2012 2:53:40 AM

RealBeast said:
I would not buy an LAN card, your onboard LAN should work fine. I will assume that you installed the latest correct LAN driver.

I would first try a new Ethernet cable without any extra connectors, get one with extra length and get a CAT 5e or CAT6 cable that will support gigabit as they are really no more expensive. You can get a 25 to 100 foot cable on Amazon for around $10 (or less).

Try running http://www.speedtest.net/ with a new cable.

Also, do you have anything else in the line other than the connector and two short cables to the cable or dsl modem, like a separate router?

Thank you for the reply.

Yes I do use a router, a TP-Link.
A CAT e or CAT6? Will buy today.

My friend said the problem lies in in my MOBO, but afaik mine supports up to 1000Mbps. Is it possible?

Will update once I try out the suggestions above.
m
l
Related resources
a b X LAN
October 21, 2012 2:04:30 PM

You motherboard is most likely not the problem, and does support gigabit Ethernet. Pretty sure that your motherboard has 2 Ethernet ports, make sure that the one you are using has a correct driver and do not try to use teaming (combining the ports for higher speeds as you have nothing to do that with). Check to see that both adapter ports are set to automatically obtain an IP address from the router -- but only use one port for now.
m
l
October 26, 2012 9:50:24 AM

RealBeast said:
You motherboard is most likely not the problem, and does support gigabit Ethernet. Pretty sure that your motherboard has 2 Ethernet ports, make sure that the one you are using has a correct driver and do not try to use teaming (combining the ports for higher speeds as you have nothing to do that with). Check to see that both adapter ports are set to automatically obtain an IP address from the router -- but only use one port for now.

aww crap, so my MOBO being as it is, I'll never be able to get that gigabit speed?
So. i guess I should just buy the CAT 5e cable then? or does using CAT6 is better?

Yes, my mobo has 2 ports, and the driver im using is the one i got from the box, which i assume is the correct one.
And no, i've never tried teaming (since i have o clue what that means)

Another noobtastic question, how do i check that my adapter ports are set to auto?

Thank you for he reply.
m
l

Best solution

a b X LAN
October 26, 2012 6:02:10 PM

No, your ports are gigabit -- and CAT5e or CAT6 is fine for gigabit.

To check your adapters, go to the network control panel, change adapter settings, right click on the adapter and select properties, then highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 and select properties -- that is where the auto select is located.
October 27, 2012 2:06:03 PM

RealBeast said:
No, your ports are gigabit -- and CAT5e or CAT6 is fine for gigabit.

To check your adapters, go to the network control panel, change adapter settings, right click on the adapter and select properties, then highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 and select properties -- that is where the auto select is located.

Okay, changed my protcols to 'auto'

The IP one is auto from the start, but the DNS isn't, so I switched it to auto as well (good idea?)

Now's that's left is to get me some CAT6 cables.

I'll keep u posted on whats up later.

Thanks man.
m
l
a b X LAN
October 27, 2012 6:39:36 PM

I usually recommend auto/auto unless there is a specific reason to use a different setting.
m
l
October 29, 2012 3:12:29 PM

So I bought the CAT6 and now my connection speed is a LOT faster! But still not as good as what I paid for.

First of all, thank you for your replies and getting me to buy the CAT6

Second, should I get another MOBO that supports 1Gigabit speed?
Any recommendations? I would really prefer that the price and performance isn't much different from what I have now, because unfortunately I don't grow money :( 

My friends said buy the GIGABYTE ones, I do like them, I always do, but the money limitation made me buy the ASRock I currently own.
m
l
a b X LAN
October 29, 2012 4:10:27 PM

No, you have an excellent motherboard that HAS gigabit Ethernet adapters built in.
m
l
October 30, 2012 1:23:56 PM

I just wanna say thank you all for the inputs.
As trivial the problem may be, but the solutions gave me a smile from ear to ear.
I can molest the interwebz in the highest speed n__n

/Digital Hugs for all y'all!!
m
l
November 23, 2012 11:56:35 AM

Best answer selected by figday.
m
l
!