MN-500 in Europe?

Last response: in Networking
a b F Wireless
May 4, 2004 6:12:17 PM

Will the wireless MN-500 router work with European
(Italy) DSL providers?

More about : 500 europe

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 4, 2004 7:03:50 PM

Microsoft's Broadband Networking hardware is only supported in North
America. Not only would different electrical connections be required, but
you'd need to make sure you weren't interfering with other electrical
equipment on 2.4 Ghz where it broadcasts.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"camillo" <cdaleo@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Will the wireless MN-500 router work with European
> (Italy) DSL providers?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 5, 2004 2:52:27 PM

Most folks in Europe have long ago solved the AC 110 volt issue ... I would
not think that would be a problem. Interference with other 2.4Ghz equipment
might be a problem to be sure (I have no idea).
Whether the broadband networking GUI would operate on an Italian version of
Windows is another question, but is largely moot because the GUI setup is
not really needed.

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Microsoft's Broadband Networking hardware is only supported in North
> America. Not only would different electrical connections be required, but
> you'd need to make sure you weren't interfering with other electrical
> equipment on 2.4 Ghz where it broadcasts.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> Associate Expert
>

> "camillo" <cdaleo@optonline.net> wrote in message
> > Will the wireless MN-500 router work with European
> > (Italy) DSL providers?

a b F Wireless
May 5, 2004 2:52:28 PM

There's no telling what it might interfere with in other countries or
jurisdictions, and outside the supported North American markets where the
testing has been done by the appropriate regulatory agencies, they're not
approved for use.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Kerry Liles" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Most folks in Europe have long ago solved the AC 110 volt issue ... I
> would
> not think that would be a problem. Interference with other 2.4Ghz
> equipment
> might be a problem to be sure (I have no idea).
> Whether the broadband networking GUI would operate on an Italian version
> of
> Windows is another question, but is largely moot because the GUI setup is
> not really needed.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 5, 2004 4:32:12 PM

different channels are used on the European side - the device is not
approved for use there.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

I thought 802.11b was 2.4GHz.... only the channels may changes from one
location to another... like in North american, it is 1 to 11... would only
making sure to use one of the available channels in the other contry fix the
problem?

Chris H. wrote:
|| There's no telling what it might interfere with in other countries or
|| jurisdictions, and outside the supported North American markets
|| where the testing has been done by the appropriate regulatory
|| agencies, they're not approved for use.
|| --
|| Chris H.
|| Microsoft Windows MVP
|| Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
|| Associate Expert
|| Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
|| "Kerry Liles" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
||| Most folks in Europe have long ago solved the AC 110 volt issue ...
||| I would
||| not think that would be a problem. Interference with other 2.4Ghz
||| equipment
||| might be a problem to be sure (I have no idea).
||| Whether the broadband networking GUI would operate on an Italian
||| version of
||| Windows is another question, but is largely moot because the GUI
||| setup is not really needed.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 5, 2004 8:30:08 PM

It uses a range of channels around 2.4 ghz.

http://www.qsl.net/vk6zse/802_11channels-ar-freqs.htm
That lists the central frequency for each channel

However, the channels overlap (due to the lower and upper frequencies
overlapping)
See here for more of an illustration of the overlap
http://www.qsl.net/vk6zse/802_11channels-ar-freqs.htm

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Maxx" <maxx@themaxx.canada> wrote in message
> I thought 802.11b was 2.4GHz.... only the channels may changes from one
> location to another... like in North american, it is 1 to 11... would only
> making sure to use one of the available channels in the other contry fix
the
> problem?
>

> Chris H. wrote:
> || There's no telling what it might interfere with in other countries or
> || jurisdictions, and outside the supported North American markets
> || where the testing has been done by the appropriate regulatory
> || agencies, they're not approved for use.
> || --
> || Chris H.
> || Microsoft Windows MVP
> || Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
> || Associate Expert
> || Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> || "Kerry Liles" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 6, 2004 12:32:31 PM

So,
Do you think just using the router within the contry's range of channels
would be sufficient? I might be traveling in Asia and wanted to bring my
MN-700.

!