MN-500 in Europe?

Will the wireless MN-500 router work with European
(Italy) DSL providers?
7 answers Last reply
More about europe

    Microsoft's Broadband Networking hardware is only supported in North
    America. Not only would different electrical connections be required, but
    you'd need to make sure you weren't interfering with other electrical
    equipment on 2.4 Ghz where it broadcasts.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "camillo" <cdaleo@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > Will the wireless MN-500 router work with European
    > (Italy) DSL providers?

    Most folks in Europe have long ago solved the AC 110 volt issue ... I would
    not think that would be a problem. Interference with other 2.4Ghz equipment
    might be a problem to be sure (I have no idea).
    Whether the broadband networking GUI would operate on an Italian version of
    Windows is another question, but is largely moot because the GUI setup is
    not really needed.

    "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Microsoft's Broadband Networking hardware is only supported in North
    > America. Not only would different electrical connections be required, but
    > you'd need to make sure you weren't interfering with other electrical
    > equipment on 2.4 Ghz where it broadcasts.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "camillo" <cdaleo@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > > Will the wireless MN-500 router work with European
    > > (Italy) DSL providers?

    There's no telling what it might interfere with in other countries or
    jurisdictions, and outside the supported North American markets where the
    testing has been done by the appropriate regulatory agencies, they're not
    approved for use.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "Kerry Liles" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > Most folks in Europe have long ago solved the AC 110 volt issue ... I
    > would
    > not think that would be a problem. Interference with other 2.4Ghz
    > equipment
    > might be a problem to be sure (I have no idea).
    > Whether the broadband networking GUI would operate on an Italian version
    > of
    > Windows is another question, but is largely moot because the GUI setup is
    > not really needed.

    different channels are used on the European side - the device is not
    approved for use there.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    I thought 802.11b was 2.4GHz.... only the channels may changes from one
    location to another... like in North american, it is 1 to 11... would only
    making sure to use one of the available channels in the other contry fix the
    problem?

    Chris H. wrote:
    || There's no telling what it might interfere with in other countries or
    || jurisdictions, and outside the supported North American markets
    || where the testing has been done by the appropriate regulatory
    || agencies, they're not approved for use.
    || --
    || Chris H.
    || Microsoft Windows MVP
    || Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
    || Associate Expert
    || Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    || "Kerry Liles" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    ||| Most folks in Europe have long ago solved the AC 110 volt issue ...
    ||| I would
    ||| not think that would be a problem. Interference with other 2.4Ghz
    ||| equipment
    ||| might be a problem to be sure (I have no idea).
    ||| Whether the broadband networking GUI would operate on an Italian
    ||| version of
    ||| Windows is another question, but is largely moot because the GUI
    ||| setup is not really needed.

    It uses a range of channels around 2.4 ghz.

    http://www.qsl.net/vk6zse/802_11channels-ar-freqs.htm
    That lists the central frequency for each channel

    However, the channels overlap (due to the lower and upper frequencies
    overlapping)
    See here for more of an illustration of the overlap
    http://www.qsl.net/vk6zse/802_11channels-ar-freqs.htm

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "Maxx" <maxx@themaxx.canada> wrote in message
    > I thought 802.11b was 2.4GHz.... only the channels may changes from one
    > location to another... like in North american, it is 1 to 11... would only
    > making sure to use one of the available channels in the other contry fix
    the
    > problem?
    >

    > Chris H. wrote:
    > || There's no telling what it might interfere with in other countries or
    > || jurisdictions, and outside the supported North American markets
    > || where the testing has been done by the appropriate regulatory
    > || agencies, they're not approved for use.
    > || --
    > || Chris H.
    > || Microsoft Windows MVP
    > || Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
    > || Associate Expert
    > || Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > || "Kerry Liles" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

    So,
    Do you think just using the router within the contry's range of channels
    would be sufficient? I might be traveling in Asia and wanted to bring my
    MN-700.

    Jason Tsang wrote:
    || It uses a range of channels around 2.4 ghz.
    || http://www.qsl.net/vk6zse/802_11channels-ar-freqs.htm
    || That lists the central frequency for each channel
    || However, the channels overlap (due to the lower and upper frequencies
    || overlapping)
    || See here for more of an illustration of the overlap
    || http://www.qsl.net/vk6zse/802_11channels-ar-freqs.htm
    || --
    || Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
    || Find out about the MS MVP Program -
    || http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
    || "Maxx" <maxx@themaxx.canada> wrote in message
    ||| I thought 802.11b was 2.4GHz.... only the channels may changes
    ||| from one location to another... like in North american, it is 1 to
    ||| 11... would only making sure to use one of the available channels
    ||| in the other contry fix the problem?

Routers Hardware Wireless Microsoft Networking